Kid A by Radiohead Is Secretly A Double Album: Here's Why

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
elo269megv
Punk Rock Detective

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2017 12:45
  • Post subject: Kid A by Radiohead Is Secretly A Double Album: Here's Why
I can't be the only one to have thought this but it is possible the "A" in Kid A actually stands for Amnesiac.... Hear me out, considering the two were recorded during the same time period, both have similar production, and with Amnesiac being considered to be outtakes or B-sides, it's entirely plausible they intended for a double album and decided against it and released them separately. Idk they sound too well together to not at least think about it. I made a playlist mashing the two together and this was the track listing. Obviously this is only one man's opinion. I tried to space the songs logically and where they seem to fit sonically. I left off Pulk/Pull, Hunting Bears, & Glasshouse from Amnesiac and In Limbo from Kid A. Overall, 16 songs at 1 hour and 13 minutes - very realistic for a Radiohead album of this length. Listen for yourself and see what you think.

1. Everything In Its Right Place
2. Pyramid Song
3. Kid A
4. You and Whose Army?
5. National Anthem
6. How To Disappear Completely
7. Treefingers
8. I Might Be Wrong
9. Optimistic
10. Knives Out
11. Idioteque
12. Packt Like Sardines in Crushd Tin Box
13. Dollars & Cents
14. Morning Bell
15. Motion Picture Soundtrack
16. Like Spinning Plates
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 05/20/2017 20:12
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/20/2017 20:15
  • Post subject:
I'm dying every day.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2017 21:43
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:
I'm dying every day.

Please don't.

Also Pulk/Pull, Hunting Bears, & Glasshouse from Amnesiac are some of my favorite songs on that record.

Fun idea.

There was a user who would put together mix albums as if the Beatles stayed together... that was interesting too... likely in concept alone, just like this.

I'm glad Radiohead didn't do a double album... I mean how can you make more money with a double album? Shame on you Laughing Kidding aside - the works are great the way they are, but likely because that's how I'm used to them. I'm pretty sure Radiohead could take make a record from fart noises and everyone would still go ape over it. I know I would. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2017 21:48
  • Post subject: Re: Kid A by Radiohead Is Secretly A Double Album: Here's Wh
1. Leaving off Life In A Glasshouse is a huge mistake.

2. Radiohead have been adamant about the fact that they are two separate works (mostly because people refer to Amnesiac as Kid A's b-sides, which is fundamentally untrue). They *had* considered releasing a series of EPs or a double album, but they ultimately felt the two works weren't cohesive as a unit. In the end, Amnesiac ended up being comprised mostly from earlier sessions than Kid A.

3. The titles are not related at all. The original title of Kid A was going to be No Logo. (Kid A)mnesiac is a rather large reach imo.

4. Thom Yorke *hates* concept albums, so the double LP thing really doesn't sit well with him. Furthermore, a great number of tracks from those sessions were set aside for later (see Amnesiac B-sides, Lift, Nude, A Wolf at the Door, I Will, True Love Waits, Burn the Witch, Here Comes the Flood, etc.).

It's cute to put them together and all, but that clearly wasn't the band's intention, nor was it the final product. It's like that silly OKC+IR thing people freak out about. Sure, they compliment each other, but they're independent works of art.

And for the record, Amnesiac is the better album.
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 05/20/2017 22:01
  • Post subject:

elo269megv
Punk Rock Detective

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2017 00:29
  • Post subject: All Fun
Thank you for your replies and input! Honestly I am glad they released the two separately as I enjoy them both on their own for what they're worth. I am fortunate enough to own both albums on their proper 10" vinyl platforms and they sound phenomenal. Im also convinced Radiohead was meant to be listened to on vinyl. So much more depth and warmth. You hear things you never knew were there when compared to digital format. I will say I am in love with Radiohead but not sure I would listen to fart noises lol although I'm sure they could somehow pull it off similarly to Run The Jewels and cat sounds. I own their entire discography on vinyl other than Pablo Honey (which I will probably get around to buying eventually - c'mon it's not THAT bad) and King of Limbs which I really haven't listened to much so who knows. My only regret was not being able to see them live on their 2016 tour. Hopefully I will be able to see a performance sometime in my lifetime if they continue to stay together. Once again, thanks for not completely ripping my idea apart.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2017 18:21
  • Post subject: Re: Kid A by Radiohead Is Secretly A Double Album: Here's Wh
I feel once songs have been released, fans are welcome to order them as they please.
elo269megv wrote:

1. Everything In Its Right Place
2. Pyramid Song
3. Kid A
4. You and Whose Army?
5. National Anthem
6. How To Disappear Completely
7. Treefingers
8. I Might Be Wrong
9. Optimistic
10. Knives Out
11. Idioteque
12. Packt Like Sardines in Crushd Tin Box
13. Dollars & Cents
14. Morning Bell
15. Motion Picture Soundtrack
16. Like Spinning Plates

If this tracklist works for you, then go for it. A few years ago, I undertook a Weezer fan's passion project of putting together Songs From the Black Hole. So I understand why you put together this tracklist. However it's always important for me to remember that Weezer never completed SFTBH for a good reason, just as it's important to remember that Radiohead released Kid A and Amnesiac separately for a good reason.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/22/2017 21:11
  • Post subject:
I really don't want this to come across as mean, but I think time would be better spent listening to new albums than constructing and listening to albums that don't exist made from pre-existing material.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/23/2017 03:47
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
I really don't want this to come across as mean, but I think time would be better spent listening to new albums than constructing and listening to albums that don't exist made from pre-existing material.

Once an album is constructed from pre-existing material, it does 'exist' even if only for one person to enjoy. If elo269megv enjoyed spending his time coming up with this tracklist and listening to it, then it was time well spent.

Bottom line, whatever makes you happy.