New to jazz

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
deasla

• Posted: 04/11/2017 06:50
  • Post subject: New to jazz
Hi,

Like the title say I'm quite new to jazz music.
I listened to a lot of classical music before that (mostly old symphony with an orchestra) and also a lot of prog rock (pink floyd,camel, yes...) I also listened to post rock (explosion in the sky).
I like all those long song which seems to tell a story.

I tried to listen to a lot of jazz recommendation made to beginner but it's not always my cup of tea ( I listened to at least a hundred songs).
But I don't want to give up yet. I really liked the alternate version of Blue train, Caravan from buddy rich and Early summer from ryu fukui.

I'm sure there's a lot of song like that out there and I'm missing out but I always stumble upon songs I just find "ok".

When I listen to music I'm a child I need a really beautiful melody (think mozart, tchaikovsky) then that you tell me a story (with lots of variation if possible).
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/11/2017 10:08
  • Post subject: Re: New to jazz
At least a hundred songs of jazz, especially when jazz songs are often pretty long, is far from being 'new to jazz' surely? That's going to be about 20 albums worth of content.

I'm guessing jazz just isn't for you, which is cool. If you're looking for something with strict melody, and something that tells a story, then you're going to struggle to find that in jazz.

Try Dave Brubeck, try Chet Baker. Also look into 'Third Stream' where jazz musicians started to compose pieces like a classical musician would. Even Mingus's Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is fairly orchestrated for a jazz album, maybe try that for something more unanimously acclaimed. Also, if you liked Ryu Fukui then might as well give his album Scenery a full spin.
deasla

• Posted: 04/11/2017 10:47
  • Post subject:
I listened to them in a few week. A lot of them weren't very long.

Jazz songs are for me like paintings in a museum.
I find a lot them just ok but then something really impress me and I stare at it for an hour.
There were a couple of other songs that impressed me but I don't remember their name.

I just wanted a couple of all your favorite one ^^.
  • Visit poster's website
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 04/11/2017 12:38
  • Post subject:
what about:

Éthiopiques 4: Ethio Jazz & Musiqu...tu Astatke

that's one of my favorite
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/11/2017 12:56
  • Post subject:
An opportunity to plug this then:

Recorded Live At The Monterey Jazz Fest...John Handy
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/11/2017 14:40
  • Post subject:
Jazz. by Hayden

Just listen to the first ones you haven't listened to Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2017 14:40
  • Post subject:
Interesting intro; I too was a big fan of classical and a longtime connoisseur or progressive rock before I came to jazz and I really took to it. At that point, I just kinda' assumed those things all went together.

If you're familiar with, and enjoy, classical, you know it comes in many forms (symphonic, choral, chamber, etc) and from many eras (baroque, classical, romantic, etc). So it is with jazz. Jazz is a hugely varied genre and even huge fans of one type of jazz may not like another.

If you're still looking for jazz you may love, rather than all of us taking a shot in the dark, it may be helpful if you share just what jazz you have listened to that didin't excite you. Was it Dixieland, Bebop, Hard Bop, Post Bop, Avant Garde, Free Jazz, Cool Jazz, West Coast Jazz, Smooth Jazz ....

If you need beautiful melody then it's true, a lot of jazz won't be for you. Hard Bop as well as a lot of post bop and pretty much avant garde/free jazz will not reach you. Puncture Repair's recommendation for Dave Brubeck is probably as good as any, specifically his most famous album, Time Out. Horace Silver brings out some wonderful melody in "Song For My Father." And, of course, for "real jazz" that is melodic, many say you can't beat Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue,"

You may also wish to try some jazz that isn't "real jazz" as a potential entry point. George Benson's "Breezin" is often decried by purists as the beginning of "smooth jazz" and therefore not "real jazz," but it is jazz and it full of pleasant melodies. Some "soul jazz" has captivating melodies as well. I highly recommend Donald Byrd's "Blackbyrd" or The Crusaders' "Free as the Wind."

Have fun exploring and don't worry if something doesn't grab you. As I said, this is a huge and highly varied genre. Maybe you'll find something to latch on to, maybe not, but the journey may be fun even if you don't really reach your intended destination. Let us know if you stumble upon anything you dig.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/11/2017 16:16
  • Post subject: Re: New to jazz
deasla wrote:
Hi,

Like the title say I'm quite new to jazz music.
I listened to a lot of classical music before that (mostly old symphony with an orchestra) and also a lot of prog rock (pink floyd,camel, yes...) I also listened to post rock (explosion in the sky).
I like all those long song which seems to tell a story.

I tried to listen to a lot of jazz recommendation made to beginner but it's not always my cup of tea ( I listened to at least a hundred songs).
But I don't want to give up yet. I really liked the alternate version of Blue train, Caravan from buddy rich and Early summer from ryu fukui.

I'm sure there's a lot of song like that out there and I'm missing out but I always stumble upon songs I just find "ok".

When I listen to music I'm a child I need a really beautiful melody (think mozart, tchaikovsky) then that you tell me a story (with lots of variation if possible).

If you want to get acquainted with jazz and are coming from a classical background, may I suggest

The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady by Charles Mingus

Piano Solo by Thelonious Monk

and any good compy by

Duke Ellington

Also:

The Köln Concert by Keith Jarrett
  • Visit poster's website
sampha

• Posted: 04/13/2017 10:10
  • Post subject:
Am new too... this days few people are still in jazz. Trap sadly has taken over
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/13/2017 11:23
  • Post subject:
sampha wrote:
Am new too... this days few people are still in jazz. Trap sadly has taken over

Quite the contrary. Contemporary jazz is trendy as hell, much more than, say, 10 or 20 years ago. Do you remember 80s jazz?
  • Visit poster's website