Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/11/2017 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2325): Powerslave by Iron Maiden
Today's album of the day

Powerslave by Iron Maiden (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1984.
Overall rank: 533
Average rating: 79/100 (from 402 votes).

Tracks:
1. Aces High
2. 2 Minutes To Midnight
3. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) [Instrumental]
4. Flash Of The Blade
5. The Duellists
6. Back In The Village
7. Powerslave
8. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2017 21:03
  • Post subject:
Maiden at their very best. This is truly a seminal Metal album and the pinnacle of NWOBHM. I just had to pick up this on CD to replace my badly worn vinyl.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2017 21:26
  • Post subject:
The title track is still one of my favorites from Maiden. Steve Harris' chugging bass really brings everything together.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2017 04:57
  • Post subject:
I'm probably a terrible human being for only giving this a 75. Granted, I've only listened to it once and probably haven't given Iron Maiden a chance. I'm more of a punk metal type than a classical metal type (I just made those up) - but if I remember right I think it's the vocals on this (the high falsetto type stuff) that turns me off for some reason. I mean it's perfectly amazing talent, just not my cup of joe.

I was impressed, however, by this track: Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/12/2017 09:22
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I'm more of a punk metal type

Oh? What's your favorite grindcore, sludge, metalcore, crossover, and war metal albums?

• Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2017 13:46
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
but if I remember right I think it's the vocals on this (the high falsetto type stuff) that turns me off for some reason.

Dickinson does have an operatic delivery which may be a turn off for you, especially as a "punk metal" guy, but his vocals really aren't that high, at least relative to the rest of the metal world. It's not like this is Mercyful Fate, Scorpions, or even Judas Priest. Maiden vocals are definitely middle register stuff for the most part (although Bruce can get up there at times).
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 04/12/2017 14:48
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Dickinson does have an operatic delivery which may be a turn off for you, especially as a "punk metal" guy, but his vocals really aren't that high, at least relative to the rest of the metal world. It's not like this is Mercyful Fate, Scorpions, or even Judas Priest. Maiden vocals are definitely middle register stuff for the most part (although Bruce can get up there at times).

Exactly what I was going to say, Bruce is theatrical in style but he does have a full resonation voice which isn't too high. I also think his voice is one of the best things about Maiden.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2017 17:14
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
Exactly what I was going to say, Bruce is theatrical in style but he does have a full resonation voice which isn't too high. I also think his voice is one of the best things about Maiden.

Completely agree. Bruce is much more Freddie Mercury than he is King Diamond.

As for the album, Powerslave has always meant a lot to me. It's kind of a toss up between this and Seventh Son for my favorite Maiden album. Not every song on here is top tier Maiden material, however the high points are stratospheric, and I think this is where the Iron Maiden vision was finally completed, or at least realized in its fullest form. The album is very theatrical while still having a lot of edge.

The album is bookended by 4 of their most classic songs. The title track is one of their finest compositions, penned by Bruce Dickinson solely.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2017 23:52
  • Post subject:
Not a fan. I have just never been able to buy in, and really groove with this album. For a bit I was pretty heavily into Number of the Beast, mostly "Hallowed Be Thy Name", but even at the apex of my metal love-in years, this style didn't grab me. Also, I don't like the vocals.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2017 01:49
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Quote:
I'm more of a punk metal type

Oh? What's your favorite grindcore, sludge, metalcore, crossover, and war metal albums?

Laughing

I probably am using the words wrong for them to fit in nice boxes again and sometimes boxes are all that matter... BUT:

Probably Motörhead and Metallica. They have a more driving/beastly sound to them, and a less shred/classical influence, with also some deeper simpler vocals. I mean that's my opinion. You are the master. You likely know more genre's than I do bands.

And to be frank... I'm not a fanatic of any metal, but I do like it. Meaning... I'm not blasting any kind of metal 24/7. And even if I were blasting metal 24/7, I still probably would give no attention to the type of genre it was. Loose explanations of music like classical influenced metal or punk influenced metal suffice for me. But something like Djent... I really wish I had never learned about it... it was a waste of brain power to know the name of that. The music form itself is decent, but I really don't care. It's metal.

It's something I'm interested in discovering more of, but much of it is a turn off, yet I know there's some gems. As a matter of fact, you provided like 4 bands I hadn't heard before for some cool metal bass, and I dug all of that. Although it felt more like classic rock/early metal (Zeppelin/Sabbath), and less like metal (It was a while back... but it was early influences of Iron Maiden I think).
  • Visit poster's website