Greatest Metal According to Gowi/LedZep/Repo/Rocky and I!

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2017 18:12
  • Post subject: Greatest Metal According to Gowi/LedZep/Repo/Rocky and I!
In 2012, a new member who called himself mercurydylan89 had this idea of a daily post that highlighted the major albums that had anniversaries that day. This idea was put into action quite violently and relentlessly in the spring of 2013.

Met with some support and a whole lot of (somewhat justified) annoyance, mercurydylan89 trudged on for a full month or 2. Every day he would make these new posts that laid out the 3 or 2 or sometimes just one significant anniversary that day. He seemed to be having fun with it, and the sudden outpouring of his forum posts had another affect: suddenly this newbie had a gimmick he was known for. He let it go to his head. He drank it up. Even as the old guard were about 70% expressing annoyance at the daily dose of ridiculousness. One or 2 of the more meanie-leaning old school folks even straight up trolled him. All the while, he loved it! He got swept up in the notariety, let it go to his head, he became content, his output slipped, he rusted away until his moment passed him by.

Then he disappeared. No one knows exactly what happened to mercurydylan89 or why he stopped posting.

Until now...

I AM MERCURYDYLAN89!!!!

I'll give you all a chance to regain your composure. I know its been a mystery for years. Basically, I got tired of every day looking up all the data on anniversaries, creating a mildly (to my eyes anyway) aesthetically pleasing lay out for the post, posting it and then with great insecurity trying my hardest to keep the post active. So I stopped. Then I shortened my name. Then I changed my avatar from britney spears (aka Brittany) to i think GZA or Nicki Minaj. And that phase was lost to history.

Well, last night as I laid my head down to sleep, an idea creeped in to make a music diary which revivified this old concept. When I woke up refreshed, the thought, surprisingly, was still right there! Had i been dreaming of this idea? I don't recall. But it was there and it persisted as I smoked and got some coffee and a poptart and i did my laundry. And now we are here...

I probably will not successfully update this daily. I will try to keep it consistent. The idea is I will look at what big anniversaries are that day, I will try to listen to one or 2 albums that have bdays, and write about them. "Significant" anniversaries will take precedent over odd numbers. If one record has a 25th anniversary and another is exactly 6 years old, I will probably err on the side of the 25th anniv. album. I may not stick to that if say I'm still doing this when the 3rd anniversary of TPAB comes up, obvi. Some albums are just too great or significant for me not to give preferential treatment.

I know some of you may know I had a diary earlier. It still exists. I sucked at updating it. This is my new gimmicky stab at the movement. I hope this one sticks and is somewhat entertaining for me and, I suppose, to all y'all.

-Ryan

Note: I'll be branching out. I'll do anniversaries too methinks. But other gimmicks and stuff as well!

Last edited by Mercury on 06/11/2023 16:24; edited 172 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2017 19:34
  • Post subject:
Released May 6th, 1972 - exactly 35 45 years ago today is...

Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway by R...y Hathaway

This is the first album these 2 released as a collaboration. I've never heard it. Here goes:

--------

Listening to this album for the first time now. I'm struck by how incredibly crisp and clear the production is. Every guitar part rings out with a clarity and warmth which is breathtaking. The piano chords are like a soothing balm. The vocals, obviously, are sweet and intertwined and loving. Some of these harmonies are just melting my heart. I get all warm inside hearing these songs.

Also, it's beautiful to hear these 2 absolute pros work off each other. The collaboration is so beautifully realized. I love both Donny and Roberta's singing styles and musical backgrounds. They come together incredibly organically.

The songs are chosen carefully. The second track, "You've Got A Friend", sounds completely natural and authentic. These 2 really do sound like they are each others' closest friend. Every line just emits utter love and devotion. Not gonna lie, that song had me in some real emotional fits. Just so goddamn pure it cut through my cynicism instantaneously.

The tracks all breathe, nothing is rushed, all the soul is mined and explored. The strings and horns and the guitar solos weep and sweep and soar out for long, soulful stretches.

Happy that the first day of this project let me stumble across this gem. Cuz honestly I looked at the anniversaries and I was disappointed at first. There were no real headliners. So I "settled" on this beauty by default. An album I'd never had much thought for beyond a VERY mild curiosity. Now i'm drinking it in and realizing I may have found a new all-timer. The sweet tunes here are timeless. And now, as I listen to the absolutely heartbreaking emotional torment of track 6 "For All We Know", I'm sitting here stunned by its beauty. Donny has a voice as soaringly gorgeous as Stevie or Marvin. And damn this song ends with these minimal, emotive, piano notes and sad strings, absolutely tear-inducing. Then it effortlessly segues right into one of the more upbeat, sunny, popular songs on the album "Where is the Love". Holy shit! This album is incredible!

Oh man! now I'm on the second to last track, track 9, "Come Ye Disconsolate". It's pure gospel perfection. Roberta's piano chords are so certain and consoling (of course), her vocals so faithful and loving, and spiritual. Before Donny comes in to offer his pipes, somehow equally mesmerizing. All the while the drums and the gorgeous restrained bass moves along at a deliberate pace. Every beat and note simple, accurate, in full support of the escalatingly holy vocals. Bravo!

As for the closing track, "Mood", its great. Like really great. It's a 7 minute instrumental, just gorgeous piano chords and notes and a very minimal contribution from other instruments. Ruminations on love, life, God, and the eternal spring to my mind as I hear some of the best piano on a soul record I've ever heard. This arrangement is so inspired, true and beautiful. How did this album go under my radar. "Mood" starts with some seriously bold artistic choices. It completely takes a left turn. This is not a cookie cutter ending to an album. This is not at all a by-the-numbers pop-soul duets album. There are serious artistic moves being made here. It's an incredibly impressive closer to an incredibly impressive achievement of an album.

Grade: Fuck grades. I have a hard time thinking that way. Especially now as I am all gushy about the album. I'm tempted to knee jerk give it an A+ or 10/10 score. It's that eye-opening.

Fave tracks: All at least very good. But ones I most adore:
1. I (Who Have Nothing)
2. You've Got A Friend
4. Be Real Black for Me
6. For All We Know
9. Come Ye Disconsolate
10. Mood

In closing, I gotta say I was in a musical rut as of late. Not feeling much inspiration or curiosity about music, which is odd, as I have been single-minded in my insane love for music for the better part of 17 years. So I think this music diary is a rare moment of totally selfish ingeniousness to pry open my eyes to the wide, still-unexplored realms of musical beauty for me to experience. This is as brilliant a stroke of luck as I could hope for to start my diary.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2017 21:23
  • Post subject:
Party Party !!BIRTHDAY ALERT!! Party Party

Happy 30th Birthday to MEEK MILL!

Link

------------------------

Cool Cool !!!RANDOM FACTOID ALERT!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

40 years ago today, on May 6th, 1977 Led Zeppelin broke the record (which they already held) for single-act concert attendance (76,229) in Pontiac, Michigan

Last edited by Mercury on 05/11/2017 04:28; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2017 21:40
  • Post subject:
It's the 21st anniversary of this lil indie/pop-punk rocker...

1977 by Ash

Obviously, a lesser, odd number anniversary. But it helps that I couldn't find any notable anniversaries from my favorite year in music, so this album which has the name of that most brilliant of years is a nice stand-in for it.

Listening now. It's solid. Great catchy parts, some of this sounds almost as infectious as prime weezer (Girl From Mars). Other parts have the hard-charging amped adolescent energy you love to hear from pop-punk in general (Kung Fu, Lose Control) And some parts get downright heavy a.f. (I'd Give You Anything). Track 5 is dreamy and unique, and the wah-wah peddle mixed with the sweet, dreamy vox is a nice lil touch.

All in all there are a lot of sweet moments here, but no real transcendent or memorable songs. Not that I have latched into anyway. The second to last track, "Lost In You" is pretty bad. It's just cliche sad sack line one after another. It's an outlier thankfully. Most of the record is downright fun

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2017 23:24
  • Post subject:
Other anniversaries today were Poco's self titled debut (47th anniversary)...

Poco by Poco

And Dr. Octagon's album "Dr. Octagonocologist" turns 21 years today.

Dr. Octagonecologyst by Dr. Octagon

Poco I started listening to but I just couldn't finish. It just came across as corny and overly ... idk, maybe complex and busy.

As for the Dr. Octagon album, it's cool. I never loved it or found it particularly impressive. It's weird and nasty, which is nice, I guess.

---

Anyway, if y'all know of any anniversaries that should be mentioned, let me know.

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2017 23:37
  • Post subject:
Laughing

First off, whatever your taking/imbibing/drinking/inhaling send my way ASAP. Who knows it could cure me! Very Happy

But seriously, really loving this diary. Your manic, singular energy is in fine form!

Need to check out that Roberta Flack & Hathaway album ASAP. Sounds right up my alley.

Always enjoyed that Ash album. Great energy. Nothing ground breaking but definitely a fun, solid album especially for the car.

And Dr. Octagon RULES!!!! Long live Kool Keith!

Peace! Glad to see your music juices flowing again. I'll be coming back here often I get the feeling.

-Tilly

edit: oh, yeah. And I COMPLETELY agree about that Poco album. Could never get into any of their stuff for the same reason.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/07/2017 17:47
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Laughing

First off, whatever your taking/imbibing/drinking/inhaling send my way ASAP. Who knows it could cure me! Very Happy

But seriously, really loving this diary. Your manic, singular energy is in fine form!

Need to check out that Roberta Flack & Hathaway album ASAP. Sounds right up my alley.

Always enjoyed that Ash album. Great energy. Nothing ground breaking but definitely a fun, solid album especially for the car.

And Dr. Octagon RULES!!!! Long live Kool Keith!

Peace! Glad to see your music juices flowing again. I'll be coming back here often I get the feeling.

-Tilly

edit: oh, yeah. And I COMPLETELY agree about that Poco album. Could never get into any of their stuff for the same reason.

Thanks for the kind words, my friend. I appreciate it.

As for what I'm imbibing, well, It's cigarettes (Newport 100s...strooong), lots of generic homemmade drip coffee with 2% milk, pop tarts, chocolate ice cream, mac & cheese microwave dinners, and a whole lot of sleep for the first time in a couple weeks. I was AMPED yesterday. Sleep, Nicotine/caffeine/and sugar will do that for you. But don't try this diet at home folks, I am a seasoned professional.

As for Kool Keith, I will come back to him more later in life. I hear he's a favorite of many people. I love his weird, kind of chill delivery, and there's other traits I do really dig a lot.

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/07/2017 18:07
  • Post subject:
This Date In Music - May 7th

Not gonna lie, today looks relatively barren. Which, like yesterday, may end up directing me to new favorites. May 7th...May 7th... I've been scouring the interwebs, and i shall continue until I find something interesting to listen to, or something which is already a favorite. May 11th and 12th let me tell you have some BIGGIES.

As for today, I discovered it is the birthday of not 1 but 2 absolute musical giants.

Party Party Applause Boo hoo! !!BIRTHDAY ALERT!! Applause Boo hoo! Party Party

Happy 186th Birthday to Johannes Brahms

Link

Johannes Brahms has been consistently one of the very few classical composers i've returned to again and again. Specifically I love his Violin Sonatas. They are just corgeous, romantic, have this mercurial quality where just when you're being swept up into this romantic lullaby daydream of civilizations and love and all this, he'll change everything up on you and it'll get real intense and shit.

Not gonna lie, without fail when I start writing about or talking about classical music I feel like I sound like an idiot. It's a MASSIVE blind spot for me, and I don't speak the technical language of classical I feel. I'm left using my go-to descriptors for various forms of pop music, and to my ears it comes out wildly inarticulate.

Anyway, listen to the Violin Sonatas. And if any of you classically-minded people have recommendations on similar works, or recommendations even on what to listen to by Brahms, I'm all ears. I really do love his work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

The next guy deserves his own post, plus I'm not familiar with much of his work so I'll be giving a listen before announcing.

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/07/2017 18:29
  • Post subject:
Also, again....

Party Party !BIRTHDAY ALERT! Party Party

Happy 177th Birthday to Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky!!!

Link

Now here's a new discovery thanks to it being his B-day. I mean a new discovery insofar as I see where much of the music I've heard a million times originated. I had no idea the Romeo And Juliet Love Theme was composed by Tchaikovsky! Hell I had no idea that that beautiful, stunning music was called "Romeo and Juliet Love Theme". I had no idea he was the man behind "Swan Lake", "The Nutcracker" or "The 1812 Overture". I mean, I must have heard it a million times in passing as I grew up, but never did a part of me go "Tchaikovsky...hmm, I should check him out and give a close listen to some more of his music."

Anyway, I'm listening to some of his works now. Thoroughly enjoying meself, thank you very much.

As for his b-day, there seems to be some controversy as to whether he was born on April 25th, or May 7th 1840. I'm including it here as I can't bloody turn back time and start this Diary on the 25th of last month now can I?!?!

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/08/2017 01:08
  • Post subject:
Tom Waits. The most perplexing genius I've ever stumbled across in the huge labyrinth of music history. More than even Bob Dylan, or Miles Davis, or Scott Walker, or Prince, or Leadbelly, or or or , Tom Waits seems to be someone perpetually out of reach of my hand of understanding. When I think of him as a musician and a creater I imagine some sort of elemental being. He seems to be some ancient observer of all the nitty gritty, all the losers, all the forces on the fringes of our usual experience. He has this insane instinct to pull back the veneer of humanity and show, yes, its dirty underbelly, but also its soaring sweetness. He could write a song of the torment of lost love, and mistakes in life like no one i've ever heard. His voice has an intense hoarseness, but when he wants to he can use this insanely powerful instrument to growl out beauty.

He has his finger on something much deeper than I can express. I have no chance. Bringing words out to express the glorious power of the force called Tom Waits is absolutely futile. for me, anyway. It doesn't help that I am not a good writer.

Anyway, that intro brings me to my entry for this diary for the day... Blood Money

15 years ago today Blood Money was released upon the world!

Blood Money by Tom Waits

When it was released and too this day it was/is considered a "Lesser Waits' album. Whatever that means. And I myself hadn't heard it in years. My recollection was going into it knowing it wasn't considered the second coming of a Rain Dogs or Mule Variations level master work. As a result I sort of skated through it glibly. I thought it was cool, then I moved on.

It didn't help that on the same day Tom Waits dropped Alice on the world. Alice hit me hard from the jump, the sadness of Alice and the vibe of the tracks just gelled with me easier. Alice was less gritty and dark, and it explored the side of Waits that I understand and latch onto more -that romantic, spiritaully wandering, allegorical, "lostness". Blood Money in comparison just seemed too dark, too furious, too bleak, too harsh for me at the times.

Today I listened to it twice. I have come around on this album wildly. It's furious and yes just downright brutal at times in its message and instrumentation. It's harsh, junkyard jazz like nothing you've ever heard (outside of Waits other albums, that is.).

If I had heard this album first in his discog, It would have been an instant favorite and i would be be overcome by the utterly unique dystopian carnival side show filth that it portrays with its strange clanking percussion, it's marching beats (literally conjures the sound of hundreds of soldiers at times as the back beat), its wailing brass bursts, its scornful growl, spewing some decadent images of the lowest lows of humanity, its strange disconnected little piano lines on the periphery of the post apocalyptic soundscape. The music at times seems like some devilish Fellini film.

But there are moments of utter tenderness which I didn't remember paying off so well. "Coney Island baby" is just sooo incredibly sublime. I have a serious soft spot for drunken, nostalgic, beaten down sounding waits. There are always a few such examples on every album of his (early on it was basically his default setting). Here the song, comes in with all the sweetness of your old drunk uncle telling tales of how much love and life he felt, letting a tear flow, clearing his throat, before jumping back into the usual banter.

The opening track is almost a caracature of what we have come to expect from Waits. But lsitening to it in a new unit of time, and I hear all its raging glory. His mastery of the craft comes out loud and clear. The rhythmic ominousness of "Everything Goes to Hell" is superb. Somewhat similar creepy motifs are revisited in the song "All the world is Green" - but that song is unique in that its clearly offputting while also being sweet and loving. It's horn kinda lopes along behind Tom's voice, like its talking to itself, making side comments, occasionally coming in to sing along with Tom.

"God's Away On Business" is a masterpiece. In the same vein as Rain Dogs' "Singpore". Similar lived in, sea faring wisdom flowing out.

Goddamn, I could go on! All the tracks are at worst incredibly interesting and luscious musically and thematically. And at their best they are truly mesmerizing Waits essentials.

Check out this album.

------------

I went on way too long rambling about this record and waits in general. I may get around to Alice later today. If I don't, just know I love it even more and would place it in the top teir of Waits albums

Random rank just cuz...

1. Mule Variations
2. Rain Dogs
3. Closing Time
4. Alice
5. Bone Machine
6. Small Change
7. Orphans
8. The Black Rider
9. Real Gone
10. Bad As Me/Blood Money

• Visit poster's website