Greatest Metal According to Gowi/LedZep/Repo/Rocky and I!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 149, 150, 151  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/08/2017 19:50
  • Post subject:
May 8th - Hello again, World. It's your friendly forum anniversary obsessive.

Today we are celebrating the 45th Anniversary of ...

Argus by Wishbone Ash

I'm listening for the second time today, and ever, to this album. Ranked #40 in Prog Rock albums on RYM, and an album and band I've seen mentioned here and there. But I honestly had no interest until now when it's anniversary along with the arbitrary guidelines of this diary incentivized me to jump in and give a good listen.

The reason I had no interest was mostly my associations with Prog Rock. Of the albums I've heard of that genre tag I probably really dug 2 or 3. It seems like something I may enjoy more. I mean I like virtuosic musicianship here and there, I like concept albums once in a blue moon, I even like long mercurial tracks which wind through all sorts of sounds and time signatures. But something about how serious so much of it came across as just turned me off. Also, I don't like overdone wankery, I don't generally like songs which mention all trials and trevails of knights and dragons and sorcerers. Whether with a straight face or not, those subjects belong, I feel, in movies and books. Also, most of the vocals in albums by Yes or Genesis or even King Crimson at times came across as a bit on the overdramatic/cringey end of the spectrum.

Okay, all that button pushing and insults to many people's favorite genre of rock aside, and we come to this album. And, here's the surprising thing, I quite liked it. I'd almost say Loved it. I know, crazy right?

The opening track is stellar. The beautiful acoustic guitar sets up a nice, appropriately uncringey vocal which I quite loved. The whole first 2 or 3 quiet minutes is just so gorgeous. Then boy that rock guitar and drums come hitting! and I'm all in. It's not some complex wall of scales, just a beautifully composed bluesy hard rock jam...which grows and adds layers in a subtle and logical way. And the song maintains a sunniness and liveliness which was uplifting and beautiful. The lyrics I catch here and there aren't corny - they are actually quite touching. And damn the twin guitar solos are heavenly. Not mindboggling like when i hear Fripp or the Yes guitarist (forget the name), but not simple either. The solos and runs are emotive and they crackle with energy.

The opening track is like 10 minutes, and doesn't sound a second "too long".

And after that, the record stays strong, corny lyrics and bombastic, operatic vocals creep in with "Warrior" but are overshadowed by a brash LOUD guitar part and some cool high hat drum stuff. The silly lyrics/vocals crop up more with the last song "Throw Down The Sword", still, its a solid track.

Considering every minute, nay second, of the first 5 songs is nearly pitch perfect, engaging excellence, I don't bemoan the drop in quality in the last couple tracks. Hell, prog heads may consider the last 2 the best. I have no friggin clue.

The vocals stay in the usual, undistracting realm throughout. The solos on each track are sharp and crisp and truly beautiful. And the song structures are unique yet not overly showy and busy. It really comes across as a solid hard rock album through and through more than a faux-"cerebral" prog album.

Maybe this experience will open me up to more dips into Prog Rock.

Happy 45th, "Argus"!

------------

Any recommendations on next essential Prog rock albums maybe I should give a go with? I know there are some big fans of this stuff, this style, this era out there on BEA! Smile If so, Throw down the sword, and help a feller out!

-------------------------------

EDIT: Oh and I have to say I fucking ADORE that album cover! It's got the perspective and color I just vibe with. And despite the fact that that is a grown ass man in 1970 something dressed up as some sort of helmeted warrior, it doesn't come across as silly. It comes across to me as introspective and epic all at once.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!

Last edited by Mercury on 05/08/2017 20:49; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/08/2017 20:36
  • Post subject:
Dancing !!BIRTHDAY ALERT!! Dancing

This is a big one, people. I know it's not an even number, still...

Today is the 106th birthday of perhaps the greatest, and most influential blues musician of all time, Mr. Robert Johnson!

In rememberance of His Greatness, lets all give a listen to "King of the Delta Blues" or "The Complete Robert Johnson". Dude is one of the godfathers of american music. Go pay your respects.

Link

Sweet Home Chicago - Robert Johnson - 1938

• Visit poster's website
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 05/08/2017 20:43
  • Post subject:
My favourite albums by Wishbone Ash are the self titled debut and "There's the rub". You might want to check those out Smile

Also here's a song by a brazilian prock rock band I consider one of the most beautiful ever made

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/08/2017 20:53
  • Post subject:
gussteivi wrote:
My favourite albums by Wishbone Ash are the self titled debut and "There's the rub". You might want to check those out Smile

Also here's a song by a brazilian prock rock band I consider one of the most beautiful ever made

Link

Thanks, guss ( i hope you don't mind me abbreviating the name...). I love the feedback, it gives me hope someone somewhere is reading this. LOL

As for those recs, me thinks i'll dive into them.

As for that song, HOLY SHIT!!!! you're right, this is absolutely gorgeous! I can't get enough of those vocals and that guitar. Truly impressive. Thanks for the video/link, buddy.

• Visit poster's website
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 05/08/2017 21:13
  • Post subject:
Glad you liked Bacamarte Smile
There are also some longer tracks on the album (obviously, since they are prog rockers Rolling Eyes ) and my favourite of those is this one

Link

I also have a prog custom chart (well, actually two), so anything from there is a recommendation.
https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=9423

Keep up the good work btw Smile
  • Visit poster's website
RockGodBMF

United States

• Posted: 05/08/2017 21:27
  • Post subject:
I do not know why the "old guard" would not like this idea. I think it is phenomenal and will give me something new to listen to every day (or whenever you post). I look forward to seeing more from you!
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/08/2017 21:48
  • Post subject:
Listening to ...

ABC by Jackson 5

cuz, y'know today is the 47th anniversary of this album's release (as well as Let It Be, but I have very little interest in reviewing the beatles now. apologies if that offends your sensibilities.)

And it's great in many ways. The hits are, well, hits! "ABC" is redonkulouslee insanely gorgeous.

Also really love "One More Chance" track 2 for all you track number people...huh? Ryan, get back on track you fool! You're embarrassing yourself/me.

And no, i'm not literally schizophrenic. It's just a writing crutch, a vapid attempt at humor. Don't worry about me or Ryan or Mercury. We're doing juuuuuust fine Neutral

Anyway, back to this album, I kind of expected it to be a packaged compilation of singles and b sides with some filler to go with some grandly perfect pop masterpieces. And, you know, that's almost what it is. There's one thing that this album has which helps it avoid those pitfalls...

His name is JAMES JAMERSON! Honestly, there are very few musicians that just by being there in the studio playing almost guarantee some ounce of mindboggling brilliance. James is one of them. Mccoy Tyner is another, and maybe Charlie Christian,...anyway, you get the idea. I adore the nimble, decorative grooves this legend lays down on even the most otherwise staid tracks. He always just dominated the sound - and not in an annoying or pointless egotistical way. His energy was so infectious.

"I want You Back" and "What's going on" are the most legendary examples of his genius, but along with those (which you should check out again cuz i said so) now I'll go for a tangent with some examples of how insanely brilliant Jamerson was

"Bernadette":

Link

"Fever In The Funk House"

Link

(I mean oh my effing gosh! are you HEARING THIS!?!?)

and finally this "For Once In My Life":

Link

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/08/2017 21:53
  • Post subject:
RockGodBMF wrote:
I do not know why the "old guard" would not like this idea. I think it is phenomenal and will give me something new to listen to every day (or whenever you post). I look forward to seeing more from you!

Thanks, man! I really am happy to hear you're enjoying it so far.

------

as for the "old guard", back in 2012 they weren't really all that mad or mean about it. I think it was just that I created a new post every day and that quickly "clogged up" the music forum. Those posts along with the daily album of the day, chart of the day and (back then the still extant) world album of the day which was being posted by albummaster every day, I can see what they meant in their mild annoyance/occasional outward disdain. But, HEY! now that I have this outlet to do the same thing but take up less space, we are, all of us, happy again.

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/09/2017 13:41
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

His name is JAMES JAMERSON! Honestly, there are very few musicians that just by being there in the studio playing almost guarantee some ounce of mindboggling brilliance. James is one of them. Mccoy Tyner is another, and maybe Charlie Christian,...anyway, you get the idea. I adore the nimble, decorative grooves this legend lays down on even the most otherwise staid tracks. He always just dominated the sound - and not in an annoying or pointless egotistical way. His energy was so infectious.

"I want You Back" and "What's going on" are the most legendary examples of his genius, but along with those (which you should check out again cuz i said so) now I'll go for a tangent with some examples of how insanely brilliant Jamerson was

Applause
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/09/2017 15:41
  • Post subject:
May 9th -

!!BIRTHDAY ALERT!!

Happy 47th Birthday to the true icon of Hip Hop - Ghostface Killah!!!

Link

Go listen to "Iron Man", "Supremem Clientele", "Fishscale", or any one of the many other sweet albums of Mr. Killah's discography.

• Visit poster's website