Greatest Metal According to Gowi/LedZep/Repo/Rocky and I!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2018 20:35
  • Post subject:
Okay, now that I have finished Jade jackson's quite solid debut, I shall listen to another top 100. But before that I figured I'd vomit out some more words.

I am thinking I'll finish the 10 albums I need to listen closely to for this top 100. Then and only THEN will I maybe do 2 things:

1. I will then rerank the top 100 of RYM in my opinion obvi. then...

2. I will compare and contrast with the BEA top 100 and maybe listen to the albums I need to get to there. This probably will not happen. Cuz there will be about 15 albums to listen to by bands like Oasis and latter day Floyd and U2 that I prefer to wait on until they come up on the RYM list (probably outside the top 10,000. jk.)

3. I will go and listen to the top 10 EPs of all time. Or maybe the top 20 or 30 cuz they are shorter and I have WAY WAAAAY more blind spots on that list almost certainly.

4. Then I'll go onto 101-200 on RYM albums (with archival and live still included... oh and as of yet there has been no archival and only 1 live album. so there is that to look forward to). I may do this concurrently with other stuff cuz I just cant wait to be forced to listen to Iron Maiden and Deep Purple which are coming up I think...apologies to fans of those acts... I know they are classic and legends for a reason and I very well may learn to stop worrying and learn to love Machinehead much like my experience of Yes a couple weeks ago...

okay, and the next post will be back on topic, but I do love y'all who read this input and thoughts and criticisms and abuse even.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2018 20:47
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Okay, I have listened to almost exclusively these 2 albums the last 4 days:

Spirit Of Eden by Talk Talk

Laughing Stock by Talk Talk

---------

Bless these albums.

Amen, brother!
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2018 21:14
  • Post subject:
Okay, and I just relistened to this. And its still great and I rememeber why I had a little love fest with it back in July on this very diary... and instead of put any succinct new thoughts down here I decided to do the seemingly lazier thing and find the review from early and copy paste. I say seemingly cuz I spent 10 minutes scrolling through pages and pages of this diary before finding it. Good times.

Here it is, a blast from the Mercury's diary past, in its original format, with no commercial interruptions:

-------------------------------------------------

July 15th (Saturday), 2017:

Nothing remotely interesting came out. Which gave me more time to get a jump on an album whose anni was on the 16th. So that's nice.

July 16th (Sunday):

Today is the 43rd anniversary of the release of On The Beach by Neil Young!!!

On The Beach by Neil Young

I will admit that despite being a pretty big Neil Young fan, this album as well as the other albums of this phase I had never given their proper due. I guess whenever I was feeling a need for the greatetness of NY I gravitated to any of his first 4 studio albums (yes including his debut which I always quite liked if not loved) or his late 70s live albums or his work with CSNY or Zuma or or or...

I don't know why this was, maybe I just was never in the right headspace to let the gravity and the depth of On The Beach hit me when I gave it a listen.

On Saturday Night i was feeling kinda meh. I was feeling a bit frayed and lost. And I saw this album coming up and I was like this may be the right time for this famously despairing album. And that feeling was right. It paid off. I listened to this album about 6 times through and I am now completely in love with it.

For one, the things about it that I thought were flaws before seem just right artistically now. The minimalist aspects of the songs, the fact that there is a sort of deadened and un-worked-over feel to the production for everything here (except perhaps the opener "Walk On") imbues this whole album with this emotionally overwhelmed feel. The songs emotionally are varied, "Walk On" is a great opener even if a deceiving one. It's catchy and beautiful and rocking and resilient. Songs like "Revolution Blues" is manic and insane and angry. "On The Beach" is sad and lamenting, "Ambulance Blues" is just depressed and deadened, "Vampire Blues" is sick and deceiving and hooded, Sky About To Rain" is a deifferent brand of sad - like there is such a beautiful sadness there such a foreboding despairing quality. Etc. All the songs have different facets, and they all represent a different facet of Neil's general vibe at the time.

The album is so streamlined, there is not a wasted moment. The styles that he takes on never feel cheaply done or corny. In other words he dabbles in country, different versions of blues, rock, folk etc. But for each of those genres he takes on it doesn't feel like novelty or all done up. There's always some strain of difference to the traditions of those genres that comes through. It all sounds distinctly like a song he actually feels and has his stamp, not like a carbon copy homage to those genres. If That makes sense.

The lyrics are brilliant. They express such an exhaustion. They are clearly very very personal and lived in. They aren't showy. Buit some of the lines on this album will live on forever as some of the greatest expressions of a strained state of mind ever.

The 3 different interpretations of the blues here are fascinating. I think the strongest is the closer "Ambulance Blues". I love it so much. It seems aimless, yet it totally holds my attention for its full 8-9 minut5e run time. It seems like he was channeling Dylan in making a long rambling low key closer. yet he makes the thing his own at the same time.

Also, I think the sound here on this album, that sort of off hand slacker sadness, has been copied so much. Every time I hear this I think of all the indie rock and country rock and whatever, that have come after this 1974 records that have a similar vibe. I mean Kurt Vile is an obvious example of an artist (I love but) owes his whole beng and sound and attitude to Neil, and especially this album.

This album has a perfect cyclical quality. It does play as a journey from the strained but persevering aspect of the opener "Walk On" to the cold as ice, rambling, self-conscious genius of "Ambulance Blues. All the tracks in between are interesting observational and emotional way-stops along the way.

In short I now absolutely adore this album. I would put it as #2, no scratch that, more like #1a in Neil's discography. Its so different from After The Gold Rush, but is its equal in artistic presentation of a particular mood, time, and place. Thank gosh for this album.

I threw this review together rapidly, but I think it is a pretty complete overview of my thoughts on it.

What do you who have read this think of On The Beach? Is it top flight NY to you as well? Are you on the fence? Is Tonight's The Night better or worse or equal?

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2018 21:52
  • Post subject:

Odessey And Oracle by The Zombies

listening to this again now. I listened to it on Friday as well and really liked it. I again had a CD copy of this (actually, still do) which is ended with tons of bonus stuff. So I always had the idea that this is some bulky awkward double album. But now I see its 35 minutes, 12 tracks, and a nice bite size pop classic.

When I think of the truly essential baroque pop, intensely creative, new musical idea a minute albums from this era I think first of Pet Sounds, then Sgt. Peppers, then (despite never giving it a much more than a fraction of the attention I gave those 2 albums) this record Odessey and Oracle.

Why did I not latch onto this album before? Cuz now I am not on the fence. I rcognize it is indeed brilliant. I suppose I just thought the songs were so all over the place. I didn't feel an emotional connection to any of the songs like I did the entirety of Pet Sounds. And I didn't hear the thematic throughline of Sgt Peppers.

And even now, I don't hear the same consistent flow as Sgt peppers and Pet Sounds, and none of these songs speak to me like alm ost evbery sonmg on Pet Sounds. Still the sheer exuberance of the opener, followed by the sweet bitter sadness of the song "A Rose For Emily", then the perfection and very very very beatles-esque "Maybe When He's Gone", etc is all kicking my ass in a good and beautiful way.

I'm listening now, so I am waiting for little thoughts and impressions to drift to mind while swimming through this album.

I have heard this album a couple dozen times. But that was years and years ago and it was mostly on in the background. Now I am really jiving with it. The warbly guitar psychedelics of track 4 "Beechwood Park" is incredible. But again I don't feel much of a flow of the album so far. It seems to be a great collage of pop ideas, but not hearing it as a truly cohesive album experience. Maybe that is not an issue. But I don't know. Its just my thoughts.

I will say I like when they are shooting for the stars with upbeat bubble gum considerably more than when they are doing the dreary detailed sad sack tracks/parts. For example the low key parts of "Brief Candles" don't hold a candle, however brief, to the propulsive bombastic parts. Maybe those over the top exuberant parts work so well cuz they are set up by the quiet dynbamics which come just before them...? I will consider that angle.

Oh yes, yeeeeessssssss.... Hung Up On A Dream is playing. I forgot how intensely perfect this song is. The perfect way to close side 1. But...its not one of the exuberant tracks, nor is it like the earlier dreary rainy parts of the album. Instead this is a unique gem. I think this is the first TRUE masterpiece of this record. It is absolutely stunning, those background angelic choir-esque vocals make me cry with a mix of joy and empathetic sadness.

Changes is pretty, and the detailed harmony singing parts with the cool percussion are awesome. The rest of the song is just alright.

okay, and as I wait for thoughts to drift in, I'll say the cover art for this album is maybe the greatest ever. I can spend the whole album just contenmplating the swirling colors of the art. Its just so damn fitting. Cream's Disraeli Gears is similarly cool. I'm trying to think of other albums covers in the same tier of awesome. Can't think of any at this time. That aspect of sgt peppers is overrated.

Okay, and I want Her She Wants me is a sweet tune, and yet again there are aspects of it that blow my mind but as a whole song, I just don't think its a classic. This is followed the driving piano lead cut This Will Be Our Year, which is nice. Its a welcome change of pace. Its the most styripped down of the songs so far, which isn't saying much cuz every song up to this point are so packed with sounds that its overwhelming at times.

"Butchers tale" is really unique and frightening at points. Kudos to that song. and then the penultimate cut "Friends of Mine" is good. But not a standout.

And obviously the closing track "Time of the Season" is perfect and a timeless anthem of excellence and I never get tired of hearing every second of it. So yeah along with Hung Up On A Dream is the other truly perfect song here. This album seriously closes the sides of the LP so astoundingly well that you can't help but wanna listen either to seide 2 right away, or listen to the whole album right away.

Okay and thus ends my track by track, typo marred, ill-conceived, scatterbrained review of this classic.

All in all, I finally feel I get this album and why its one of the most bveloved albums ever made. Its solid front to back and there are enough pop hooks, and most of divine inspiration here to fill up 5 or 10 albums. So, yeah my opinion of this record has raised way way up. (still not the album Pet Sounds, The Kinks are The Village Green Preservation Society, Sgt Peppers or even Pleasures of the Harbor are. Still, the fact that I get why its revered in the same class as those albums and even above them in some cases is a small win.

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2018 22:35
  • Post subject:

MTV Unplugged In New York by Nirvana

I'm listening to this again. and i don't know why. As I listen I realize that I know this album to my core. Yes, its been years since I've given it its proper due. But still, i mean, damn, this is the sound or one of the defining sounds anyway, of my 15 year old self's frustrated bitterness and somberness. Still, It's great and I'll finish listening to it and then present a very short and hopefully not to typo-strewn review.

Okay, its pretty good. not great. i love kurt's voice. its perfect, pained, and glorious. the music, all unplugged as it is, isn't all its cracked up to be. it's passable folk rock, and it has a unique enpough sound. but i don't think is remotely in the same tier as nevermind or even in utero. but that's just me, and at this moment. I have had special koments with this record and it may have something to do with where my headspace is at at the time. but yeah, i will admit i am a bit miffed that this is somehow the highest ranked live album of all time per the massive database of RYM. I mean, come on. But whatever. I am by no means an expert on anything really, and that definitely includes live albums. And I don'tr particularly ever see a live album and think "ooooh its a live recording of this artist! must listen to that.". but whatever.

NEXT!

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 01/30/2018 16:46
  • Post subject:

Station To Station by David Bowie

ah yes, another David Bowie album. Sweet. I'm starting to look forward to these Bowie albums when I see them coming up on the list/project. we will have black star and heroes to listen to a bit later and then there is a looooooong wait until we get into the 400s the next time bowie comes up. So i'll try to saver these next few.

Anyway, Station To Station. I have heard this album a couple times. and my first impressions were generally positive. but it never got its due as a classic album by one of the all time greats of pop music. So, I'll listen to it now and give it my rapt attention.

-----------------

I wrote the above about 20 hours ago and now I am back. Listening again to Station To Station.

General thoughts: well, first off this is a great example of a grower. Right now I'm listening and I am hanging on every word and cool bass line and melody, etc. The first few times through, again, I thought "what's the big deal?". Now I hear this album and I'm very impressed. I just got up an hour or so ago so I am not yet in full descriptive shape, so bear with me and my very vague and general comments.

These longer form jams which grow and build and build into a world class rock epic are amazing. I'm thinking of "Station To Station" which is this ominous, slow burning track which opens this classic. If I'm being honest, the rocker in me is just waiting and waiting for the end guitar solo and rock part. The other such long form Bowie build up song are "Stay" and "Wild Is The Wind". Not as long as the opener but still pretty great in that they are given time to build and breathe and then explode by the end into glorious rock classics.

"Stay" in particular starts right off the bat with some of the sickest rhythm section grooves. And that end is so goddamn awe inspiring. The Bowie vocal on this is stunning too. I'm starting to really like him vocally. My God, I'm listening to this track now and I swear this is a world class rock jam. Like nothing I've heard from him on the other half dozen or so albums I've heard. Every part of the track plays off each other and that guitar lead just rides over top so marvelously and the bass shows off its melodies and badassness from time to time and ramps up and up in competition with the guitar lead. and the drums are so funky. Yeah, "Stay" is the shit!

The Closer "Wild Is The Wind" has a great, somber tone. And it also builds up nicely. Its not my favorite track here, but its a nice subtly building, melodramatic closer which I do quite enjoy.

as for the other 3 songs are these strange, mercurial little gems which I also love. Seriously, I have seen the light on this album. Anyway, "Golden Years" is so odd on first and second and third listen but it now has been heard by me enough that I have learned to just sink into its brilliant pop excellence. Same goes for "Word On A Wing" which is honestly perfect, and "TV15" which ditto.

Okay, without sticking on this too much, the point is that this may be my fave Bowie yet. Its just a succinct album with excellent vocals and instrumentals.

Random Grade: 9.1/10

I'd rank the Bowie albums I've heard now Station to Station > Hunky Dory (just slightly.) Then Hunky Dory > Low > Ziggy Stardust. I have also heard some other bowie but I'll stick to the ones I've delved into in this top 100 for now. 117 and 119 will provide me more chances to listen to Bowie.

-------------------------

Okay, a couple more listens then I'll be ready to wrap up this top 100.

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 01/30/2018 17:22
  • Post subject:

Amnesiac by Radiohead

Well, I'm listening to this for the first time in awhile and I am really really liking. Its produced so strikingly. The rhythms and the electronic textures are just fucking popping out my headphones. The soundscapes are so striking. The weird little loops and details are all so clearly coming through straight into my head. This is such a strikingly different experience from what I was just listening to with the Bowie album of '76. Its like my ears weren't ready for it. The landscape is totally different.

The first 2 tracks are gorgeous and detailed little symphonic, decisive gems. And now this very weird, creepy vocal snippet-filled track "Pulk" is playing and its so intense and interesting.

Its really amazing that this is essentially leftovers from Amnesiac. But is that true? Hearing these tracks, they are so consistently theoir own thing and sound great and completely finished. Obviously, a band as creative and in control as prime Radiohead wouldn't release a shoddy liottle turd of a B sides album. And I don't know what I was thinking when I thought for so many years "don't need to hear that album in their discogs, its just scraps. I'll just listen to Kid A again". I mean, this probably isn't quite the complete front to back masterpiece that Kid A is.

Ooh "I Might Be Wrong" and goddamn that groove is soooooooo gooooooood! Thom Yorke has a voice so unique and beautiful, that at times I just feel so grateful that his records have filled my ears on and off since I was 10. He's great. And I am rekindling my old love of his voice and the whole aesthetic of this band.

Okay, and I'm not gonna do a track by track breakdown. But basically this was a joy. The last 45 minutes has felt like a nice excursion into the sonic world of Radiohead and I haven't done that in awhile and I forgot how much I liked their vibrant and at times over the friggin top world. Pompous at times, sure, but all in service to a very unique sound. There is always always always about 3 or 4 things going on in any given track here to make me stop and take notice. Even though some of the songs' experiments don't perfectly hit the mark, its always fascinating and awe-inspiring in a way.

So yeah, I apologize for doggin' this album so much for so long. Its really good. And I better enjoy this now, this time I have with RH, cuz for this project anyway, i8 won't be revisiting them for quite some time.

• Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 01/30/2018 17:48
  • Post subject:
Never been a fan of amnesiac, totally overated album for me, feels totally like B-sides of Kid A although some sogs can sustain themselves on the album, I think It's a weak work from them.

Also I love your track by track breakdown, I used to do these when reviewing records, It was really interesting to see which reaction I could get from each song in the context of the record and in itself, so I can't not like what you're doing here merc. Keep up the marvelous work ^-^
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 01/30/2018 18:00
  • Post subject:
Antonio-Pedro wrote:
Never been a fan of amnesiac, totally overated album for me, feels totally like B-sides of Kid A although some sogs can sustain themselves on the album, I think It's a weak work from them.

Also I love your track by track breakdown, I used to do these when reviewing records, It was really interesting to see which reaction I could get from each song in the context of the record and in itself, so I can't not like what you're doing here merc. Keep up the marvelous work ^-^

I feel you. Although I now think much higher of Amnesiac, I don't think I can slot it next to their main 4 (or 5 if you're a fan of AMSP) classics. There is no band with so many albums in the top 100. Actually that's not true, Floyd and The Beatles have as many albums ranked there. But anyway, with all three of those bands I grow tired of seeing their albums so consistently loved. Its just a fatigue which has set in. And that has been what made me not wanna check out or delve in to Radiohead's "lesser" albums. Same with Floyd. The Beatles I give a pass to, cuz they are just more what I grew up with and I just enjoy them and have bought into the hype more than with RH and definitely PF.

The above paragraph is rambly and isn't very good. lol.

Anyway, yeah, I now rank Radiohead's discog (as of this moment and what I prefer, if I took a bit more of a long view of the albums I may come to a different conclusion):

1. OK Computer
2. The Bends
3. Kid A
4. In Rainbows

5. Amnesiac

6. Hail To The Thief
7. A Moon Shaped Pool (have only heard once or twice and probably will raise this when I delve into it more)

8. The King of Limbs
9. Pablo Honey

edit: oh and thanks AP for the kind words for my lil reviews! I appreciate it,

• Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 01/30/2018 18:09
  • Post subject:
A moon shaped pool so low almost broke my heart </3, It's for me their magnum oppus, it's cohesive and consistent while displaying many of their best highlights, I wrote a thing about it in my chart but it's long and monotonous so I'll just leave it laying there haha. Anyways Why not put my rank here (sorry for invading your log lol)

1. A Moon Shaped Pool
2. OK Computer

3. In Rainbows
4. Bleep Bloop, white guys with computer in forests

4.5 - I might be wrong EP

5.The Bends
6. Hail to The Thief

7.AMnesiac
8. The Kang of lambs