Greatest Metal According to Gowi/LedZep/Repo/Rocky and I!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 05/18/2018 22:05
  • Post subject:
Psssst.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2018 14:28
  • Post subject:
update

I Can't Stand The Rain by Ann Peebles

I listened to this as it was relatively high on Gowi's chart. It was really good, sultry, smoky, soulful stuff, I really like the sound of the album, it didn't sound exactly like the majority of the soul album I've heard from this era. Its quite good. and going on my chart.

also... listened to

Secret Treaties by Blue Öyster Cult

which was great as well! The whole album is just a good, precise, swaggering rock beast. With lyrics and vocals which ooze mean, rebellious attitude in spades. The band is solid and the solos are great but not over used. The songs are solid. IDK, my dad has told me for years and years now that I should check out BOC. Never have until now and I see why the high recommendation from Dad.

also going on my chart.

Tried to get into....

Here Come The Warm Jets by Brian Eno

and maybe it was because I was distracted or maybe because I just wasn't in he mood for pre-AGW Eno, but I stopped it mid track 2. I wasn't feelin it. I never have been particularly impressed with Eno pre Another Green World. But again, it may be that I wasn't "ready" for this classic. I will return soon.

listened to

Court And Spark by Joni Mitchell

and I notice I am liking more with each listen. I'm still not quite on board with the clean, lush, detailed feel of the album in comparison to her first 4 albums. But, yeah some of the moments of this album are so stunningly beautiful that there is no chance I'm not coming back to this for a full reappraisal before moving on to a different year or project.

listened

Kimono My House by Sparks

and it was weird and fun. But all in all I didn't enjoy it much. I don't really see the appeal.

also listened to

Confusion by Fela Kuti & Africa 70

and this is just a dense, deep, experiment in a concept which I love. I heard so much brilliance in that first listen, that I need to listen about 2 or 3 more times to unpack it. Its a classic. and Fela in this decade was so freaking brilliant and on a roll it really is mind boggling! I will listen again before adding to chart.

relistened to this, the greatest 74 album

Grievous Angel by Gram Parsons

and yeah it is stunning. I was vacillating twixt Grievous and I Want To See... as the best album of 74, so I figured I needed to listen to this album again and see if I was overhyping it. I don't feel I am. Its a perfect album top to bottom and its back to number 1 of 1974 as it should be.

some albums I started but didn't complete due to life or disinterest or because I got distracted by FB cat videos or some such shit...

Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On by Funkadelic

Inspiration Information by Shuggie Otis

The Power And The Glory by Gentle Giant

Lotus by Santana

Caught Up by Millie Jackson

The Silent Corner And The Empty Stage by Peter Hammill

and they were all at the least good from what I remember, so will get back to 'em.

lastly, I did listen to The score for The Godfather Part II by Rota and someone else. and its fabulous and will bve added to my chart and the database here once i get off my lazy ass and just add it.

so that is the update...

I do appreciate the recommendations and the 1974 chart links from all of you! I do read and sometimes take up right away recommendations.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/21/2018 14:55
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

Confusion by Fela Kuti & Africa 70

and this is just a dense, deep, experiment in a concept which I love. I heard so much brilliance in that first listen, that I need to listen about 2 or 3 more times to unpack it. Its a classic. and Fela in this decade was so freaking brilliant and on a roll it really is mind boggling! I will listen again before adding to chart.

As much as I love hearing this, Confusion is def a 1975 album. Here's his only 1974 output:

Alagbon Close by Fela Kuti & Africa 70

Considering he had 5 albums released in 1975 and 6 albums in 1972, you could say it was a quiet year for him Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2018 15:06
  • Post subject:
Yeah I just saw that as I tried to add to 74 chart. On RYM (which I tend to check first rightly or wrongly) has it as a 1974 release. Bummer

• Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/21/2018 15:14
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Yeah I just saw that as I tried to add to 74 chart. On RYM (which I tend to check first rightly or wrongly) has it as a 1974 release. Bummer

Eh, don't worry. A good album listened is a good album listened. I don't have a lot of Fela's discography on vinyl (sadly), but Confusion has always been a go-to when I'm looking for something short to spin. Still need to pick up Zombie... not a clue why I don't have that on my shelf yet.

Will also add that I wasn't too hot on Kimono My House on first listen either (think I gave it a 5/10 or something). After a few repeat listens I started to appreciate it a bit more. Still not a favourite by any means, but it's a pretty unique record, and I appreciate it for that. Think Sparks had another 1974 record, but I forget what it's called and I've never listened to it.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2018 17:00
  • Post subject:

Luther's Blues by Luther Allison

This album is fantastic. Luther Allison was greatest blues artist of the mid 70s in my opinion. And his 3 classics of that decade, 1972’s Bad News Is Coming, 1974’s Luther’s Blues, and 1977’s Love Me Papa are all balls to the wall, wailing, Chicago blues master works, with subtle little quirks which set Luther’s stuff from almost anyone else in blues music. His 1969 debut from ‘69 “Live Me Mama” is great too.

Now, this album, is maybe too o bottom, the most well balanced showcase of Allison’s greatness. His guitar playing can be utterly filthy screaming blues power in the extreme, it also can be defy and jumping and upbeat, and it can be sad and quiet, - he’s a stunning and confident guitarist. As a vocalist he hits his peak here. On Bad News Is Coming there is a lot of over the top screaming, which made sense considering that album is far more blistering throughout. But the vocals on his first masterpiece could get tiring in their persistent intensity. On Luther’s Blues he doesn’t shy away from soulful humming, and subtle and emotional turns left and right. He still finds time to gets all riled up, but again this is just a more balanced album.

The band is solid. The drummer kills it with some truly excellent fills, the harmonica and piano licks are just low down blues gold, the bass lines are the rock of these tracks as the guitar goes off in all sorts of primal screaming directions.

And the production on this is so clean and pure and beautiful.

Some moments I love here is the “argument” Luther has with the guitar. That’s a hilarious and brilliant end to the opening title track. I love how lither literally gets interrupted by the guitar as he’s trying to make a point and he starts stuttering. Idk, it’s just great.

The whole sad smoky vibe of “Part Time Love” is brilliant. The way the band stops on a dime, the way the guitar gets all weepy in the background and the vocals are stunning.

Now You Got It is about as cool and badass as blues gets. Then the next track “K.T.” Is some sexy funk-blues with horns that lead and slay.

The 7 minute guitar showcase “Let’s Have A Little Talk” is heaven if you love Luther’s particular style of urgent biting guitar work...which I am.

The closer “Into My Life” is a perfect, romantic, shuffling, little ditty which is great.

Really no sub-very very good track here. It’s a total electric blues classic.

Moving this up to 4 or 5 on 74 chart.

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2018 17:54
  • Post subject:

Relayer by Yes

1974 was a cool year for "prog rock". This is the one I'm most familiar with. I'm almost done with a revisit now. And yeah, its a classic. Not quite a masterpiece like Close To The Edge or Fragile. On the same level of greatness (if very different) as The Yes Album.

This album is mesmerizing, incredibly complex and, at times, breathtakingly beautiful/ Still at other points it sounds like a maelstrom. It sounds like you're in the eye of a tornado and shit is happening all around you and working you into a tizzy. This is especially true on parts of "Gates of Delirium", and the entirety of "Soundchaser".

The closer is maybe the most sweet and comfortable track of them all (I mean there are only 3, but parts of the nearly 22 minutes opening track are also quite peaceful.)

All in all, at this point every aspect of prime-Yes is like an old friend, so when I hear them I feel good and welcome and happy. Even at their most wild and cray cray, I just end up vibing with the music nicely. But still there is a perfection to the structure of Close To The Edge, how every part leads into and works with the next part, that is missing with this album. Gates of Delirium in a vacuum (without the existence of the similarly long and structured title track of their 1972 master work) is truly stunning and one of the best things I've heard period. But its a step down from their previous epics. Its a solid 9-9.5 out of 10 and would be on my overall chart if I allowed more than one album per artist. So what am I going on about??? Its incredible!

I do miss me some Bruford... the drummer here is great but not Bruford. I suppoise I'll listen to the 2 classic King Crimson albums from '74 if I need my fill of Bruford. I may do just that.

Okay, and yeah, I think I'll keep this album where it is at number 7, behind the top 5 of 1974 - Grievous Angel, I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight, Phases and Stages, Luther's Blues, A Tábua de Esmeralda, and Veedon Fleece.

1974 is shaping up to have a AMAZING top 10. all the top 10 are fascinating all timers.

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/25/2018 17:18
  • Post subject:

The End by Nico

for christ's sake. sheer the f up, Nico.

40 plus minutes of hot sweaty desolation, soul sucking, life destroying...meh.

Musik Von Harmonia by Harmonia

this was good.

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/29/2018 17:52
  • Post subject:
update from the land of merc.

I have had a very very stressful week. My roommate has moved out and I need to get a new apartment or home in the next 2 weeks. sheesh! also a new part time consulting job just started, and yeah so I am not amazing at dealing with lots of change all at once. But I have been listening to some music which has been my savior in these weird and ever-shifting times. But not wholly 1974.

Basically my overview on 1974, I have recently fallen in love with these classics from the year

Einsjäger & Siebenjäger by Popol Vuh

and more so their 1972 album.

also this blew my mind

Mirage by Camel

this was pretty good

Autobahn by Kraftwerk

but mostly it got me interested in other Kraftwerk again like Trans Europe Express and Computer world.

I tried to find a good copy or stream of

I Came To Hear The Music by Mickey Newbury

but failed. All i have is the youtube playlist, which woprks alright and its quite good ( I'm a nut when it comes to Mr. Newbury...thus even though not Looks Like rain or Frisco Mabel Joy it will still go high on 1974.)

I listened to the Philosophy of the World podcast which dropped last week and it brought up a treasure trove of 1974 albums from the genre they were covering this week - Krautrock... namely I checked out

Musik Von Harmonia by Harmonia

Phaedra by Tangerine Dream

Zuckerzeit by Cluster

also they mentioned in that nice podcast

Galactic Supermarket by The Cosmic Jokers

so... yeah it was a fortuitous listen for this project.

-----------------------------------------

Mostly though the last 3 days I have been listening to

I See A Darkness by Bonnie 'Prince' Billy

Knock Knock by Smog

now

Clarity by Jimmy Eat World

and

98.12.28 Otokotachi No Wakare by フィ...[Fishmans]

all united by 1999 year of release.

also I have decided to do a VERY NERDY thing and make a spreadsheet with thousands (eventually) of albums with ratings and ranked of all my favorite albums. I have started this and am about 520 albums in. So that is taking some time, along with the aforementioned stressing, pulling of hair, house hunting, and jobs.

---------------------------

So, unless (and maybe in spite of depending) there are big objections I will be finishing up my 1974 project and updating my chart and having fun with 1999, I may just do a late 90s dive for more flavor. Cuz I'm intrigued by classics from 1997 and 1998 as well which I've never given much love to.

1999... sound okay? (and 1997-1998, and maybe 1996... when I'm feeling like it....)

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 05/29/2018 18:58
  • Post subject:
my top 10 of 1996, 1997, 1998 1999, 2000

1996:
Revival - Gillian Welch
If You're Feeling Sinister - B&S
Pinkerton - Weezer
Filosofem - Burzum
Filth Pig - Ministry
A Ass Pocket of Whiskey - RL Burnside
Spice - The Spice Girls
Being There - Wilco
Beautiful Freak - Eels
I Feel Alright - Steve Earle

1997:
Either/Or - Elliott Smith
Most Things Haven't Worked Out - Junior Kimbrough
Buena Vista Social Club
OK Computer
Time Out of Mind - Dylan
Hard Normal Daddy - Squarepusher
Homogenic
I Can Hear The Heart Beating as One
Perfect From Now On
The 18th Letter - Rakim

1998:
Car Wheels On A Gravel Road - Lucinda Williams
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - NMH
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Moment of Truth - Gang Starr
XO - Elliott Smith
Music Is Rotted One Note - Squarepusher
Ocean Songs - Dirty Three
Music Has The Right To Children
The Shape of Punk To Come
Deserter's Song

1999:
I See A Darkness - BPB
Mule Variations - Waits
Knock Knock - Smog
Enema Of the State - Blink
Summerteeth - Wilco
Black On Both Sides - Mos Def
American Football
Internal Affairs - Monch
The Soft Bulletin - Flaming Lips
Keep It Like A Secret - BtS

2000:
Heartbreaker - Ryan Adams
Wish I Was In Heaven Sitting Down - RL Burnside
The Moon and Antarctica
Supreme Clientele
De Stijl
Lift Your Skinny Fists
Kid A
The Night - Morphine
Pop - Gas
Rancid - Rancid

Okay, and in compiling those lists I discovered they are all relatively weak years in my familiarity department (1996 maybe is an exception...lots of great ones there.

Honestly If I focused on 97, 98, 99, 200 they would all garner good results so why have i decided to overwhelm myself? hartd to say. Maybe it will shake out and I will focus on one or 2 more than everything else.

Also the number 1 of each year is a country or folk singer songwriter album of some kind in all cases. I am clearly biased.

Okay,. I need to update, trim down and get my bearings on all these charts. Talk to you later.

• Visit poster's website