Greatest Metal According to Gowi/LedZep/Repo/Rocky and I!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2022 03:08
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Repo wrote:
I think the entire 80s were pretty insane! Ever year introduced new styles and bands were evolving at such a clip. Would be super hard for me to pick just one year.

That said, I'd probably pick 1984 or 1986.

Excellent picks. Those also come to mind for me. 1984 isn’t really my thing yet, but the development and strides of that year and with essentially the creation of sludge and black metal and the emergence of thrash, 1984 is no joke.

The Case For '84

1. The BIG Three of Thrash each release arguably their best album with Ride The Lightning, Peace Sells, and Master Of Puppets!

2. BUT, Classic Heavy Metal proves it not going down without a fight as Iron Maiden and Priest release defining 80s metal landmarks with Powerslave and Defenders of The Faith.

3. The First Wave of Black Metal truly starts taking shape with Bathory's self-titled debut and Mercyful Fate's Don't Break The Oath.

4. DOOM is born and it's evil BUT conflicted with Saint Vitus and Trouble.

5. Celtic Frost has its hand in all the black pots with the most influential metal EP of all time with Morbid Tales!

6. Underground Metal really takes hold with the release of Cirith Ungol's King Of the Dead.

7. Prog Metal is born with killer releases by Queensryche and Fates Warning => The Warning & Night on Brocken
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2022 04:33
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Mercury wrote:
Repo wrote:
I think the entire 80s were pretty insane! Ever year introduced new styles and bands were evolving at such a clip. Would be super hard for me to pick just one year.

Excellent picks. Those also come to mind for me. 1984 isn’t really my thing yet, but the development and strides of that year and with essentially the creation of sludge and black metal and the emergence of thrash, 1984 is no joke.

The Case For '84

1. The BIG Three of Thrash each release arguably their best album with Ride The Lightning, Peace Sells, and Master Of Puppets!

2. BUT, Classic Heavy Metal proves it not going down without a fight as Iron Maiden and Priest release defining 80s metal landmarks with Powerslave and Defenders of The Faith.

3. The First Wave of Black Metal truly starts taking shape with Bathory's self-titled debut and Mercyful Fate's Don't Break The Oath.

5. Celtic Frost has its hand in all the black pots with the most influential metal EP of all time with Morbid Tales!

6. Underground Metal really takes hold with the release of Cirith Ungol's King Of the Dead.

7. Prog Metal is born with killer releases by Queensryche and Fates Warning => The Warning & Night on Brocken

Good points. The first point is I think an error, as I think you’re talking about 1986 with Metallica/Slayer/Megadeth’s Master of Puppets/Reign In Blood/Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying trifecta. Everything else is very good points on 1984. Actually years ago you created a thread about 1984 metal and that was a low key very influential thread for me because it started to germinate that I needed to learn more about metal based off that reading.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2022 04:35
  • Post subject:
Right now I’m relistening to Pleasure to Kill LP and holy shut I forgot how insanely INSANELY aggressive, fast, heavy and loud this is. Reign In Blood VS Pleasure To Kill, who ya got? In terms of the almost proto-death of xtrwmutu and also general quality and preference?

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2022 07:27
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Repo wrote:
Mercury wrote:
Repo wrote:

The Case For '84

Good points. The first point is I think an error, as I think you’re talking about 1986 with Metallica/Slayer/Megadeth’s Master of Puppets/Reign In Blood/Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying trifecta. Everything else is very good points on 1984. Actually years ago you created a thread about 1984 metal and that was a low key very influential thread for me because it started to germinate that I needed to learn more about metal based off that reading.

Haha! Yes! I was originally going to say that 1986 was the best for that reason... and then YOU put the hammer down on 1984 & I was like Not talking !!!! Shame on you Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2022 13:57
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Right now I’m relistening to Pleasure to Kill LP and holy shut I forgot how insanely INSANELY aggressive, fast, heavy and loud this is. Reign In Blood VS Pleasure To Kill, who ya got? In terms of the almost proto-death of xtrwmutu and also general quality and preference?

Great question! I'll give them both a few relistens in the coming days and get back to u. ALSO, don't sleep on Kreator's debut...

Endless Pain by Kreator

It's fucking amazing!!! Twisted Evil
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/02/2022 16:03
  • Post subject:
I've never thought about that, but I'm a 90s guy myself. Maybe 1995? The sheer amount of classics and great deeper cuts is astounding. Plus, it's a very diverse year.

Symbolic by Death (Metal)

The Gallery by Dark Tranquillity

Wolfheart by Moonspell

Bergtatt - Et Eventyr I 5 Capitler by Ulver

Imaginations From The Other Side by Blind Guardian

Minas Morgul by Summoning

Written In Waters by Ved Buens Ende

Storm Of The Light's Bane by Dissection

Stormcrowfleet by Skepticism

Orchid by Opeth

Slaughter Of The Soul by At The Gates

Majestic Thou In Ruin by Dusk

Nachthymnen (From The Twilight Kingdom) by Abigor

And a lot of alternative, borderline metal bands like Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Clutch and Alice in Chains also had albums in 1995. I'm sure I've forgotten several other great picks.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/02/2022 16:04
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
I think the entire 80s were pretty insane! Every year introduced new styles and bands were evolving at such a clip. Would be super hard for me to pick just one year.

Ride The Lightning by Metallica

Morbid Tales by Celtic Frost

Saint Vitus by Saint Vitus

The Warning by Queensrÿche

Don't Break The Oath by Mercyful Fate

Powerslave by Iron Maiden

Defenders Of The Faith by Judas Priest

Bathory by Bathory

I mean that just sickness...

Lol it looks impossible that all of these classic albums were released in the same year.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/02/2022 16:10
  • Post subject:
And re: 1989, my 2nd favourite metal album of that year is Consuming Impulse (the first is No More Color). Possibly the best old school death metal album period, definitely a rec for you, Mercury. Also, Helstar's Nosferatu is a cool recent discovery, every fan of US power metal will love it.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2022 18:05
  • Post subject:

Majestic Thou In Ruin by Dusk

\m/ Twisted Evil

(Never heard this b4!!! Fucking LOVE it!!!)
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2022 02:37
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
And re: 1989, my 2nd favourite metal album of that year is Consuming Impulse (the first is No More Color). Possibly the best old school death metal album period, definitely a rec for you, Mercury. Also, Helstar's Nosferatu is a cool recent discovery, every fan of US power metal will love it.

Awesome! I took your recommendation to heart and listened today. Excellent excellent early death metal stuff. There were some really cool like choral vocal things happening and of course some insane riff work… will listen again but for now yeah it’s great.

My number 1 for 1989 as of now is very definitely World Downfall. Just the most awesome ballsy badass in your face Deathgrind I’ve yet heard.

• Visit poster's website