Greatest Metal According to Gowi/LedZep/Repo/Rocky and I!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2022 21:19
  • Post subject:
Looking at how this project evolved from a sparse few absolutely direct influences before thrash from both metal and punk to this - a sprawling list of 26 albums so far (and 50 in total lol) 70% of which are hardcore punk including some hardcore bands not so obviously influential to early thrash releases… is funny.

I have enjoyed the metal so far a lot. But at my heart I am a punk guy and first and foremost this has become a chance to revisit old faves and also FINALLY check out albums is earmarked 20 years ago.

It’s fun. But it’s certainly morphed into something else.

I think my original list was a single Bad brains, minor threat, Saxon, Motörhead, Angel witch album and a couple venom albums and maybe a discharge album and… that was it. Lol. 10 albums tops before getting to kill ‘em all relisten and lots of thrash.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2022 17:20
  • Post subject:
Great stuff, Merc!!! I t’s always great when the dig causes more digging!!!

Camping with my kids at da beach, but will have my two cents on TSOL when I return! Definitely an interesting band!
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2022 19:05
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:

Camping with my kids at da beach, but will have my two cents on TSOL when I return! Definitely an interesting band!

lol indeed on digging leading to ever more digging! I just counted and its more like 70 releases under consideration at least (not 50 lol).

And yeah I'd like your perspective on TSOL. I mean I may be slightly desensitized to the glories of hardcore by how much I've been listening to it recently. Perhaps if in isolation I had checked out TSOL finally, I would love it. But I tend not to think so, as it does have that ramshackle LA hardcore sound on their debut and they also incorporated sounds that I don't generally get excited about on their debut album. It just seems to be something I can appreciate and all but not really my thing as much as some of their contemporaries.

• Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2022 08:28
  • Post subject:
I've never really told anybody this, because when it happened nobody would have cared, and by the time anyone would have cared, probably nobody would believe me. Nevertheless, in 1981 I was a DJ at the college radio station where I was going to school. Anyone who was a college radio DJ back then will tell you that one of the ways to impress the other DJs was to bring in your own records that the station didn't have (i.e., imports and indie/vanity pressings - there was a lot of stuff they didn't get). So every time I went home, I would go record shopping. The usual shopping trip was to start at the Arlington, VA Record & Tape Exchange, then go on to Yesterday & Today in Rockville MD, and if I still had any money left (I usually didn't) I might go to the Olsson's in Georgetown (DC), though of course it was impossible to find a parking spot there.

Anyway, a few days after I got home at the end the 1980-81 school year, I went up to the Arlington RTX, which was run by Bill Asp and his wife Debbie. Debbie was usually the one working there, because quite frankly Bill was kind of a dour and unpleasant sort of guy who probably drove away customers, whereas Debbie was just the opposite. So I got there in the early afternoon, I'm going through all the bins like I'd usually do, and I'm the only one in the store except for Debbie, when the bell rings and these four skinheads walk in wearing black leather jackets. Three of them are carrying boxes. They were a little scary looking, intentionally so, but Debbie didn't seem put out by it so I just sort of kept doing what I was doing. Anyway, it turns out this is Minor Threat, and they're selling the very first copies of their first EP (which I later learned was called "Filler") at the local punk-friendly record stores. This is the first pressing of 1,000 copies, with the original red sleeves, though of course that would have meant exactly nothing to me or anyone else at the time. So Debbie says, "I'll take ten," the whole transaction takes about 3 minutes, everybody says "thanks" and they're out of there.

At the time, Minor Threat was just another local punk band, but later I realized that these guys lived not far from that neighborhood (just south of Ballston), and Inner Ear Studios was only a couple of miles south of the RTX, which was then just north of Fairfax Drive on North Glebe Road. I'd never been to Inner Ear, but they'd moved the previous year from Don Zientara's house to a place down in Shirlington — back then the traffic wasn't quite so bad, though. I mean, it was bad, but not utterly insane like it is now. So anyway, there's at least a chance that the RTX was the first place they went to with those EPs, and if so, I was the only uninvolved witness to the very first time the Dischord guys ever tried to sell any of their records, to anyone, ever.

Of course, the thing that really pisses me off now is that they were all carrying full boxes of these things, and each box probably had about 50 EPs in it, and I don't think they were asking for a lot of money for them. I probably had enough cash in my pockets to buy an entire box, and if you look over on Discogs and other such sites, you'll see that every single one of those EPs is now worth between $600 and $1,200, so a box of 50 could theoretically be worth about $50,000 today, if you could find enough buyers. But I didn't even buy one. In fact, I never did buy one. I was never really that into hardcore, to be honest.

Oh well! Boo hoo!
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2022 19:40
  • Post subject:
@madhattanjack,

Fuck, that is a super cool story! Like, I got a major kick out of that and it seems logical and very very possible you were seeing the legendary Minor Threat selling their very first copies of their classic debut EP. What a beautiful twist of fate.

Bummer you didn’t get some of those EPs. But how were you to know they were to become one of the top idk 5 movers and shakers in hardcore punk history?

I appreciate you posting that story here. So cool.

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2022 13:25
  • Post subject:
Ha! That's a GREAT story, Madhatten!!! What did u end up getting that day? Think

Mercury wrote:
Repo wrote:

lol indeed on digging leading to ever more digging! I just counted and its more like 70 releases under consideration at least (not 50 lol).

And yeah I'd like your perspective on TSOL. I mean I may be slightly desensitized to the glories of hardcore by how much I've been listening to it recently. Perhaps if in isolation I had checked out TSOL finally, I would love it. But I tend not to think so, as it does have that ramshackle LA hardcore sound on their debut and they also incorporated sounds that I don't generally get excited about on their debut album. It just seems to be something I can appreciate and all but not really my thing as much as some of their contemporaries.

I just had a fun idea for my next Repo Zone project => A dig through Orange County Punk in the late 70s/early 80s. It was perhaps my favorite punk scene along with NYC in the 70s.

My next next project though, after FINALLY finishing 1983 Metal with be a Return to the Mellow Zone and 1970!!! Sort of what I did for 1980 a little over a year ago, but stuff tailor made for drinking beer in my backyard by the campfire.

Cheers, brother!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 08/07/2022 13:40
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Ha! That's a GREAT story, Madhatten!!! What did u end up getting that day? Think

Mercury wrote:
Repo wrote:

I just had a fun idea for my next Repo Zone project => A dig through Orange County Punk in the late 70s/early 80s. It was perhaps my favorite punk scene along with NYC in the 70s.

My next next project though, after FINALLY finishing 1983 Metal with be a Return to the Mellow Zone and 1970!!! Sort of what I did for 1980 a little over a year ago, but stuff tailor made for drinking beer in my backyard by the campfire.

Cheers, brother!!!

That will be cool seeing your thoughts on LA/OC punk! But yeah I get also heading back in time to the Dawn of hard rock and metal. That will be fun. It’s an area I don’t know anything about outside of mostly Zeppelin Sabbath some Deep Purple and… that’s about it outside of a few odds and ends I have heard here and there. Budgie is one I need to check out soon!

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/07/2022 16:00
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

That will be cool seeing your thoughts on LA/OC punk! But yeah I get also heading back in time to the Dawn of hard rock and metal. That will be fun. It’s an area I don’t know anything about outside of mostly Zeppelin Sabbath some Deep Purple and… that’s about it outside of a few odds and ends I have heard here and there. Budgie is one I need to check out soon!

Weirdly enough, my 1970 dive will be into the MELLOW-er stuff of that year! Like this album...

Someday Man by Paul Williams (US)

Feel free to leave a few recs in my thread once it gets started! Very Happy

The next year I cover in metal will be 1984! \m/
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 08/07/2022 17:40
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Mercury wrote:

Weirdly enough, my 1970 dive will be into the MELLOW-er stuff of that year! Like this album...

Someday Man by Paul Williams (US)

Feel free to leave a few recs in my thread once it gets started! Very Happy

The next year I cover in metal will be 1984! \m/

Phew! I am relieved because low-key thought you were gonna go BACK 14-15 years in the hard rock/metal project and I was worried I’d never get to get to a year of metal I knew at least SOMETHING about in your thread. So far I’ve mostly been creepin and readin your discussions on metal and hard rock because until recently I was woefully unfamiliar.

And you bet I’ll have probably a bit too much to say and too many recommendations when you get to the mellow music of the early 70s! Looking forward to it. I see you stopped by my 1970 singer songwriter album chart. That is way way out of date. But mostly I am still happy with it.

This should be higher - mellow and amazing and way underappreciated:

At Home by Lambert & Nuttycombe

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/08/2022 16:04
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

And you bet I’ll have probably a bit too much to say and too many recommendations when you get to the mellow music of the early 70s! Looking forward to it. I see you stopped by my 1970 singer songwriter album chart. That is way way out of date. But mostly I am still happy with it.

This should be higher - mellow and amazing and way underappreciated:

At Home by Lambert & Nuttycombe

Cool! Added it to The List! lol.

After thinking it over and looking at my charts, I think a better starting point for will be 1968!!!
  • Visit poster's website