Help Wanted: Data Moderation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/04/2019 21:21
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
The "(feat...)" thing was something that was asked for, even fought for. I believe (not 100% sure) that one of the future fixes is to give that its own field. Until then, I don't believe there's any way to separate one word from the capitalization function. Unless AM knows differently...

I think we should have a discussion about formatting, particularly in cases where artists have made a deliberate decision to not capitalise every word.

As for the ability to add featured artists in a separate field, I think it's an excellent idea.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2019 21:57
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I think we should have a discussion about formatting, particularly in cases where artists have made a deliberate decision to not capitalise every word.

As for the ability to add featured artists in a separate field, I think it's an excellent idea.

I'm pretty sure it's already been discussed in detail. But you can always bring it up to AM.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/25/2019 20:13
  • Post subject:
These last days/weeks I have spent hours adding track information to new added albums and the list doesn't seem to get shorter.
While this has earned me a lot of mod points I would be happy if people would add the data themselves to the albums they add.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/26/2019 09:55
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
These last days/weeks I have spent hours adding track information to new added albums and the list doesn't seem to get shorter.
While this has earned me a lot of mod points I would be happy if people would add the data themselves to the albums they add.

I used to, but then someone went through and incorrectly capitalised all the data I'd put in, so I can't be arsed anymore.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/26/2019 12:25
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
dihansse wrote:

I used to, but then someone went through and incorrectly capitalised all the data I'd put in, so I can't be arsed anymore.

"The first letter of each word should be capitalised. Whilst not grammatically correct, it ensures the site is consistent and easy to administer (even for non native speakers of a particular language). If a word is hyphenated, all parts should be capitalised (e.g. Merry-Go-Round rather than Merry-go-round). If a word begins with an apostrophe, it should be capitalised (e.g. 'Til, 'Twas, 'Tis). If a word contains an apostrophe after the first letter, only the first part of the word should be capitalised (e.g. L'accord instead of L'Accord & We've instead of We'Ve). Any abbreviations & acronyms should follow what is written on the release, including any punctuation (if used). Intentional capitalization can also be entered as per the release (if a word does not mean anything in any language)."

https://www.besteveralbums.com/admin_album_help.php
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/26/2019 18:37
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Skinny wrote:
dihansse wrote:

"The first letter of each word should be capitalised. Whilst not grammatically correct, it ensures the site is consistent and easy to administer (even for non native speakers of a particular language). If a word is hyphenated, all parts should be capitalised (e.g. Merry-Go-Round rather than Merry-go-round). If a word begins with an apostrophe, it should be capitalised (e.g. 'Til, 'Twas, 'Tis). If a word contains an apostrophe after the first letter, only the first part of the word should be capitalised (e.g. L'accord instead of L'Accord & We've instead of We'Ve). Any abbreviations & acronyms should follow what is written on the release, including any punctuation (if used). Intentional capitalization can also be entered as per the release (if a word does not mean anything in any language)."

I'm aware of the rules; I just disagree with them to the point that I refuse to put time and effort into data input anymore. Other people are welcome to, however.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2019 01:02
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Romanelli wrote:
Skinny wrote:
dihansse wrote:

I'm aware of the rules; I just disagree with them to the point that I refuse to put time and effort into data input anymore. Other people are welcome to, however.

Cool. Thanks for making the rest of us work harder. Capital letters are most definitely a place where you want to draw that line in the sand...

Rolling Eyes
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2019 08:15
  • Post subject:
On Discogs, all the words in track titles are capitalized....
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/27/2019 10:13
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Skinny wrote:
Romanelli wrote:
Skinny wrote:
dihansse wrote:

Cool. Thanks for making the rest of us work harder. Capital letters are most definitely a place where you want to draw that line in the sand...

Rolling Eyes

I'm not asking anybody to do anything. I outlined my position. I have always been willing and mostly diligent when it comes to inputting data for albums I add, but I'm tired of making sure that I input song titles with the correct formatting and grammar only to find that someone has later gone through and bastardised them. I don't actually care what the rule states; it's a rule I disagree with. We should respect an artist's wishes with regards to the formatting and grammar of their song titles. But whatever. Feel free to not bother inputting data for the albums I add. I'm not making you work harder. Whoever is choosing to be a jobsworth and collect their precious mod points by going through and capitalising all of the song titles I put in is already giving themselves more work, so as far as I'm concerned they may as well input the data - according to the rules of this site - in the first place. That way we both save time and effort: me from carefully typing out correct song titles, and them from going through and "correcting" them.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/27/2019 14:51
  • Post subject:
Apologies, missed a few of these posts so feel like I'm a bit late adding anything, but I do understand why you feel like that (and you're probably not alone) but just to set out again the main reasons things are like they are. The guidelines are mainly there to help keep the site running as smoothly as possible with the minimum of intervention (e.g. arbitrating disputes over the 'correct' capitalisation). As well as the grammatical and stylistic considerations in English, there's also the grammar of non-English languages to consider (of which there are many - including right-to-left languages and various non-Latin alphabets such as Greek, Russian etc).

To perform data moderation, a person does not need to be familiar with the grammar rules for French, Dutch, Swedish, German, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Arabic etc, or research for a given release whether the stylistic intent of the artist should override the grammar rules of the particular language they are using. BEA simplifies all of this into something consistent and easy to understand, and it's also incredibly easy to administer (at the expense of a 'correctly' capitalised/stylised track list, which personally I can live with, just so long as all the tracks are listed and spelt correctly.).

Regarding the length of the moderation queue, any time it goes over 100 it feels a bit out of control, and I think it was just over 200 for a short time yesterday. It's now about 150 and heading in the right direction. Thanks to all for chipping in Cool
  • Visit poster's website