Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/17/2019 16:49
  • Post subject:
Jameth wrote:
Hayden wrote:

Jameth, Maleem is an honorific (think Sir or Ustad or Duke), which I don't believe BEA includes in artist names. Due to his name translation from Arabic, it's more phonetic than anything else, which has resulted in different spellings. Mahmoud translates easily, but his last name doesn't. If that clears anything up.

It sure does...I thought it was interesting that all his brothers were named Maleem, too. Smile I probably should have figured that out... d'oh!

If it makes it any more confusing, Maleem (معلم) can be spelled a whole bunch of different ways too due to its translation pronunciation (Maleem, maalem, maallem, maalam, more...). On the cover of Colours Of The Night it's spelled Maalem, and his last name is spelled Gania, but I doubt he had any say it how his name was spelled since he died 2 years prior. However, he had a tape in the late 80's which transcribed his name from Arabic to Mahmoud Guinia. That's what I've gone with when administrating his page.
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 06/17/2019 18:25
  • Post subject:
Yep, it was confusing, and now I’ll have it in mind. I’ve also come across Ustad before, and that makes sense as an honorific, because I’m guessing the Spanish borrowed it for Usted/Ustedes during the Muslim occupation.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/20/2019 18:44
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
[snip]A site update is currently in the works to allow child acts to be flagged as either an alias (e.g. Aphex Twin, AFX, Caustic Window) or just a spelling variation (as is the case with the above). (There are similar issues with other artists e.g. Fela Kuti, Captain Beefheart With/And The/His Magic Band etc which would benefit from this extra clarity. People generally want to see albums correctly attributed but without losing the ability for the primary artist to gain the credit, and doing things in this way allows this to happen).

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but a small update has just been rolled out which begins to implement the above functionality. Child artists can now be flagged as either an 'Alias' (a name an artist intentionally performs under) e.g. Aphex Twin, AFX, Caustic Window) or a 'Variation' (which might just be a difference in spelling on different albums). This type of distinction will allow BEA to more accurately attribute albums to the 'correct' artist without losing the ability for the primary artist to gain the credit for the albums that they have released. The next update will be to surface this new data in the relevant parts of the site (e.g. artist and band stats pages) and make any necessary tweaks.
  • Visit poster's website
StefanR10
Music Genius

Germany

• Posted: 07/01/2019 23:40
  • Post subject: By the Way
I find as a new user the newley added album should be better marked. And everyone can help a little to improve the information for new albums.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/02/2019 08:14
  • Post subject: Re: By the Way
StefanR10 wrote:
I find as a new user the newley added album should be better marked. And everyone can help a little to improve the information for new albums.

Thanks for feedback. This is something that can definitely be improved and has been added to list to be done.
  • Visit poster's website
PeterSmith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/05/2019 14:24
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
Could we maybe implement some sort of condition based system where if album = unmoderrated (missing track list, art, etc.), then it also = hidden from public view on charts? that may motivate people to complete the work on stuff they add.

Some merit in that suggestion
  • Visit poster's website
ptaylor1989

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2019 03:11
  • Post subject:
I might be able to help a bit!
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/02/2019 06:34
  • Post subject:
The easiest way to get started is to visit the newly added albums / artists pages and filter for unmoderated (incomplete) items...
  • Visit poster's website
ASOARE

Romania

• Posted: 06/17/2020 08:12
  • Post subject:
As I understand, I can only add an album by including it in a chart. But I only can upload greatest albums chart right now. Maybe it will be useful if users (like me, at a beginner level) to be allowed add albums in the database, subject to the validation by an admin.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/17/2020 09:09
  • Post subject:
Hi, as a new user, you can already do this. If you want to add an album not already on the site, enter the artist/title within the chart editor and select the bottom option from the list of suggestions to 'allow' an artist/album not already on the site to be included in your list.
  • Visit poster's website