Help Wanted: Data Moderation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2018 12:39
  • Post subject:
If you can't find the exact release date (month and year), don't spend too much time on it. You can click the box towards the bottom that says No Release Date.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/19/2018 12:50
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
If you can't find the exact release date (month and year), don't spend too much time on it. You can click the box towards the bottom that says No Release Date.

+1, please flag as having no release date (e.g. rather than adding 1st January). The album can then be flagged.as having no date and the system will then stop nagging for the data. If two or three external sites agree on the same date then go with that one (e.g. AllMusic, Discogs, Wikipedia).
  • Visit poster's website
mozzmozz
... five years, that's all we've got

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/19/2018 19:50
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

I believe that the 'No Release Date' checkbox is only available to Data Moderators.

(As I'm pretty new to BEA I haven't yet reached my 100 Forums Posts, so I'm still a mere mortal.
... this post will help get me closer to my target Very Happy )

Mozz
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2018 19:57
  • Post subject:
mozzmozz wrote:
I believe that the 'No Release Date' checkbox is only available to Data Moderators.

(As I'm pretty new to BEA I haven't yet reached my 100 Forums Posts, so I'm still a mere mortal.
... this post will help get me closer to my target Very Happy )

Mozz

That's okay. Just leave it blank then. We'll take care of it if you can't find it.

Also...as far as release dates...stray away from sites like lastfm...but especially avoid Amazon. The release dates there are always wrong. Sometimes by years.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mozzmozz

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/19/2018 20:34
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

Also...as far as release dates...stray away from sites like lastfm...but especially avoid Amazon. The release dates there are always wrong. Sometimes by years.

That's useful.
I seem to recall one situation where I had to fall back on Amazon when all else failed. Embarassed

One question:
- Just how important are release dates? Clearly the year is crucial. But I would have thought that the Month and Day are not that critical. (Especially as they are not relevant prior to 2004).
And what is the significance if the Month and Day are wrong?

I've noticed a situation where the vinyl was released on one day, the CD on another day, and the MP3s had yet another date. In that case I always choose the earlier date. But it does take quite a while to establish whether there might be an earlier date that should be entered.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/20/2018 10:19
  • Post subject:
mozzmozz wrote:
One question:
- Just how important are release dates? Clearly the year is crucial. But I would have thought that the Month and Day are not that critical. (Especially as they are not relevant prior to 2004).
And what is the significance if the Month and Day are wrong?

I've noticed a situation where the vinyl was released on one day, the CD on another day, and the MP3s had yet another date. In that case I always choose the earlier date. But it does take quite a while to establish whether there might be an earlier date that should be entered.

In the greater scheme of things, release dates are not as important as track listings or album art but they are quite useful for determining album anniversaries and they are especially important for forthcoming releases so that the albums can be listed as new releases.

Amazon isn't great for release dates (but it's normally fine for album art). I generally find AllMusic, Discogs or Wikipedia to be fairly reliable for release dates, but cross check between them to see if the dates match. Please always use the original release date (whichever is earliest but not including promos). The artist (or label's) own website will sometimes list these dates as well.

If you cannot find a release date, and you do not see a checkbox to flag as 'no release date', then please just leave a comment on the relevant album page to say that you can't find a release date (and then somebody else can flag it and do a quick double check).
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2018 10:08
  • Post subject:
I've found Wikipedia to be somewhat unreliable for release dates of jazz albums (probably more so for ones between 1960-2000), because they often have the recording year as the release year. I don't know whether it's more because the contributors are drawing from online jazz sessionographies or from Piero Scaruffi's site -- Scaruffi prefers using recording dates for albums when he can find them. This occasionally happens with AllMusic too, though they're better. I find Discogs to be more reliable for less well-known jazz albums -- but of course I always use the earliest date and cross-check when they only list one or two versions.
  • Visit poster's website
mozzmozz

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/21/2018 20:30
  • Post subject:
Useful information. I often wonder if these sites all plagiarise each other such that if one of them gets it wrong, they all do.

The policy I now adopt is to search for ("album title" by "artist" release date).
From the search results I look out for:
- bandcamp,
- wikipedia,
- discogs,
- allmusic.

If 2 or 3 concur, then I go for that date.
If only one of them comes back with a date I put that date in, and record the website URL as a Comment.

If nothing comes back I put a Comment to say I can find no info for the Release Date. (I don't have that mysterious checkbox) Smile

Whilst I'm there I'll capitalise the Track List.
(I'm surprised how many people forget to click the Capitalise All Track Names button)
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/22/2018 10:51
  • Post subject:
mozzmozz wrote:
Useful information. I often wonder if these sites all plagiarise each other such that if one of them gets it wrong, they all do.

The policy I now adopt is to search for ("album title" by "artist" release date).
From the search results I look out for:
- bandcamp,
- wikipedia,
- discogs,
- allmusic.

If 2 or 3 concur, then I go for that date.
If only one of them comes back with a date I put that date in, and record the website URL as a Comment.

If nothing comes back I put a Comment to say I can find no info for the Release Date. (I don't have that mysterious checkbox) Smile

Whilst I'm there I'll capitalise the Track List.
(I'm surprised how many people forget to click the Capitalise All Track Names button)

that's pretty much how I do things as well. There's a Google link at the top of the admin pages which takes you straight through to the search results for the album and title (you don't need to do a manual search each time).
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 01/22/2018 10:57
  • Post subject:
mozzmozz wrote:

I do think either AllMusic or Wikipedia sometimes copies the other. Wikipedia's user-generated of course and AllMusic is at least some of the time.

Quote:

I just type the capital letters, because I'm afraid I'll forget. Sad
  • Visit poster's website