Help Wanted: Data Moderation

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 05/13/2017 21:33
  • Post subject: Help Wanted: Data Moderation
A 107 track album entered into the BEA database (by a long time regular site member who long ago qualified as a data moderator) a full two months before it was even released (meaning it was most likely entered without even being listened to) and left for those two months for others to do all the work on at a time when we regularly have right around a 150 album backlog of data moderation to do is something that those who are doing the bulk of the data mod work can find to be deflating.

I know that data moderation is time consuming, and that there isn't a lot of incentive for doing it after you reach a certain number of points...but we really should all be sharing in the work to help keep this site up and running smoothly and up to date. A lot of the albums entered are by new users, but we should at least be doing our part by helping out with the work on the albums we enter ourselves. It takes less than a minute to add an album to your chart...it takes less than 5 to add the info for a normal sized album for an experienced user. And helping with the overall backlog isn't a bad thing, either...consider it a way to give back to a site that you get to come to and enjoy for free.

If you think that BEA isn't growing...you need only to look at the pending moderation to see otherwise. Not only are there still a lot of older albums that are being added daily, it sometimes seems as if there is a push to enter every new album that comes out as well. In years past, it was easier to keep up on the work...but now, we're almost always weeks behind.

As of today, just the albums that are waiting for track listings to be added stands at 143. 56 albums have no artwork. 70 are missing release years and cannot be added to year or decade charts. And 171 artists are pending their countries of origin. Not to mention that there are still almost 8000 albums released from 2004 and later that are in need of full release dates. Work on these has almost completely stopped because we are struggling to stay on top of the newly entered albums.

Just a little help will go a long way. Thanks!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/13/2017 21:41
  • Post subject:
I actually have wanted to help at times, but wasn't sure how to be honest... is there a "data moderators handbook"?

Whenever I enter something in, I try and not be a douche and enter all the information on the album I can find as my way to contribute.

But I don't really know how to help find the problems to be fixed.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/13/2017 21:46
  • Post subject:
Could we maybe implement some sort of condition based system where if album = unmoderrated (missing track list, art, etc.), then it also = hidden from public view on charts? that may motivate people to complete the work on stuff they add.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/13/2017 21:48
  • Post subject:
NM - just found this: https://www.besteveralbums.com/added_albums.php
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/14/2017 12:56
  • Post subject: Re: Help Wanted: Data Moderation
Agree with Romanelli, a lot of work goes on behind the scenes to help keep the site up to date and this work is hugely important but will be invisible to a lot of people using the site.

Helping out with data moderation can be quite a simple way of building up points if you are a newer member and has the dual benefit of benefitting everybody else as well.

Data moderation is time consuming, and the more people that can help out the better as it spreads the load.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/14/2017 20:36
  • Post subject:
Indeed a shame, I didn't realise it was this bad. I gained a lot of Mod Points today because I concentrated on the missing track listings Very Happy but help is still needed.
I'll try to be a bit more vigilant on missing data in the future as well so that we can keep this great site up and running and independent. Thx AM and Romanelli!
And of course it helps if people add all the data when they create an album.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/14/2017 21:07
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
Could we maybe implement some sort of condition based system where if album = unmoderrated (missing track list, art, etc.), then it also = hidden from public view on charts? that may motivate people to complete the work on stuff they add.

I was thinking if the person isn't willing to fill it out completely, they can't save the album. Did about 30 albums yesterday and thought I guess these didn't matter that much to the user adding them.

Oh well, happy to help when I can now I know how to search for missing stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 05/15/2017 00:51
  • Post subject:
I'm probably a bit of an offender but not necessarily by choice. How does one add the album cover art? Could never figure it out. A couple of times I've been prevented from entering month and day release dates as well maybe it's my phone. Much of what I find out is by fumbling around and learning by trial and error is it possible for some education for users to lighten the load for the moderators?
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 05/15/2017 00:59
  • Post subject:
stangetzaway wrote:
I'm probably a bit of an offender but not necessarily by choice. How does one add the album cover art? Could never figure it out.

You need to have/download the album cover to your computer/phone and then upload it as being from the album choosing the "Upload album cover" button.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2017 05:48
  • Post subject:
I added several albums earlier today, downloaded the album covers, but every time I tried to upload the file it said it was too small. I have had varying degrees of success when attempting to add artwork.
  • Visit poster's website