"I didn't just come here to dance, If you know what I mean"

- Carly Rae JepsenĀ 
 
Help Wanted: Data Moderation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Graeme2



Gender: Male
United Kingdom

#31 | Posted: 05/29/2017 07:13 | Post subject: Reply with quote
I basically can't add artwork using the device I have. I almost always add all the other info when I first add the album. Is this ok or should I make a list a list of what I want to add and then add them all with artwork when I can get on my laptop? I always thought just leaving artwork to add was ok, either I'd do it at some point or someone else would. Maybe not. Obviously if loads did this it would be a problem.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

albummaster
Janitor


Gender: Male
Location: Spain
Site Admin

#32 | Posted: 05/29/2017 11:38 | Post subject: Reply with quote
sethmadsen wrote:
Do you think it worth making album art and year of release mandatory? Or would that limit our entries and it can always be cleaned up later?

personally, I don't think any of fields should be mandatory (it might put people off from contributing & every correct edit helps)
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

albummaster
Janitor


Gender: Male
Location: Spain
Site Admin

#33 | Posted: 05/29/2017 11:42 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Graeme2 wrote:
I basically can't add artwork using the device I have. I almost always add all the other info when I first add the album. Is this ok or should I make a list a list of what I want to add and then add them all with artwork when I can get on my laptop? I always thought just leaving artwork to add was ok, either I'd do it at some point or someone else would. Maybe not. Obviously if loads did this it would be a problem.

BEA isn't very mobile friendly at the moment (it was designed before mobile devices became popular but is in the process of being completely rebuilt). I'd just continue as you are, because all correct edits are welcome and helpful to everybody else. (You can also filter the 'newly added albums' page to just show albums that added, so you shouldn't need a separate list.)
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

sethmadsen
Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis


Gender: Male
Age: 33
Location: Ground Control
United States

#34 | Posted: 05/29/2017 18:29 | Post subject: Reply with quote
albummaster wrote:
personally, I don't think any of fields should be mandatory (it might put people off from contributing & every correct edit helps)


Yeah I agree - we can always clean it up later and it is likely better to know of an album not in the database then adding the restriction.
_________________
1950s
1960s
1970s
1980s
1990s
2000s
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Kool Keith Sweat





#35 | Posted: 06/07/2017 15:29 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Would it be possible to not have month and day of release flag for any albums, and be a purely optional field? If discogs doesn't have the info, I might be able to find it on a musician's bandcamp or personal website but not all musicians have that info on their sites and bandcamp only popped up a few years ago. Super difficult to find this info for most albums. I believe earlier in the thread someone said the threshold was 2004?
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

albummaster
Janitor


Gender: Male
Location: Spain
Site Admin

#36 | Posted: 06/07/2017 16:08 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Would it be possible to not have month and day of release flag for any albums, and be a purely optional field? If discogs doesn't have the info, I might be able to find it on a musician's bandcamp or personal website but not all musicians have that info on their sites and bandcamp only popped up a few years ago. Super difficult to find this info for most albums. I believe earlier in the thread someone said the threshold was 2004?

The main reasons for having the field are that it allows new releases to be highlighted, future releases to be flagged & anniversaries to be identified etc. 2004 is the current cut-off as it was deemed at the time to be a decent compromise to allow the more recent albums in BEA's database to have this info. Originally there were about 30,000 albums without a release date, and we're now down to about 8,000 so significant progress has been made. If the info isn't available for a particular release, there's a flag that can be set to stop nagging for the info (just report as a data correction). There's a Google link at the top of most admin pages that links people straight to the top search results for a given item and the release date is not usually far away.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

sethmadsen
Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis


Gender: Male
Age: 33
Location: Ground Control
United States

#37 | Posted: 06/08/2017 22:26 | Post subject: Reply with quote
albummaster wrote:
The main reasons for having the field are that it allows new releases to be highlighted, future releases to be flagged & anniversaries to be identified etc. 2004 is the current cut-off as it was deemed at the time to be a decent compromise to allow the more recent albums in BEA's database to have this info. Originally there were about 30,000 albums without a release date, and we're now down to about 8,000 so significant progress has been made. If the info isn't available for a particular release, there's a flag that can be set to stop nagging for the info (just report as a data correction). There's a Google link at the top of most admin pages that links people straight to the top search results for a given item and the release date is not usually far away.


Perhaps then we only need future times and maybe past 90 days with this entry? After that, maybe it doesn't matter? Just a thought. It is the most annoy part of the cleanup, I must admit. Year totally makes sense.
_________________
1950s
1960s
1970s
1980s
1990s
2000s
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Romanelli
Bone Swah


Gender: Male
Location: The Spokane Valley
United States
Moderator

#38 | Posted: 06/08/2017 22:51 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Would it be possible to not have month and day of release flag for any albums, and be a purely optional field? If discogs doesn't have the info, I might be able to find it on a musician's bandcamp or personal website but not all musicians have that info on their sites and bandcamp only popped up a few years ago. Super difficult to find this info for most albums. I believe earlier in the thread someone said the threshold was 2004?


Discogs is actually not very good with release dates...they either don't have them, or you have to dig through numerous releases to get it. RYM is a much better resource for dates, as is wikipedia and musicbrainz.org. Just don't ever use a release date from Amazon...they are about 99% inaccurate.

If you can't find it, simply use the "No Release Date" flag. It stops the album from being red flagged, and puts it into a queue that can be worked later to find difficult release dates.
_________________
May we all get to heaven
'Fore the devil knows we're dead...
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

PurpleHazel



Gender: Male
United States

#39 | Posted: 09/21/2017 22:36 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I'm a new member and have added ~30 albums to the database. The first one I submitted was a box set. Since I didn't yet know that when I "saved" an album, it would be locked, I didn't add the tracks, thinking I'd be able to add the 6 CDs' worth of song titles later. I'd like to add the tracks, but it appears that the only way is to type all those tracks into the small data correction box, submit it, and then the burden of entering those titles into the fields falls onto a mod. Can a mod unlock the "item" so I can enter the tracks myself?

I'm happy to contribute to the database, but I do find the inability to fix minor errors myself once I save an album a little inhibiting.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Romanelli
Bone Swah


Gender: Male
Location: The Spokane Valley
United States
Moderator

#40 | Posted: 09/21/2017 22:41 | Post subject: Reply with quote
PurpleHazel wrote:
Hi, I'm a new member and have added ~30 albums to the database. The first one I submitted was a box set. Since I didn't yet know that when I "saved" an album, it would be locked, I didn't add the tracks, thinking I'd be able to add the 6 CDs' worth of song titles later. I'd like to add the tracks, but it appears that the only way is to type all those tracks into the small data correction box, submit it, and then the burden of entering those titles into the fields falls onto a mod. Can a mod unlock the "item" so I can enter the tracks myself?

I'm happy to contribute to the database, but I do find the inability to fix minor errors myself once I save an album a little inhibiting.
"

Which album are you referring to?
_________________
May we all get to heaven
'Fore the devil knows we're dead...
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
   Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Music


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Data Moderation Romanelli Suggestions 17 03/18/2016 11:35 View latest post
albummaster
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. New albums/data moderation Norman Bates Suggestions 2 05/07/2012 15:24 View latest post
Norman Bates
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. If you could be anything you wanted... Guest Lounge 70 03/01/2013 01:47 View latest post
Necharsian
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Most Wanted Making Ofs DarkSideOfTheComputer Music 16 12/02/2013 17:22 View latest post
Jasonconfused
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. [ Poll ] CLOSED - 750: Round 2: Skelethon v. A... Precedent Games 12 01/05/2015 22:01 View latest post
Guest

 
 

Powered by phpBB©



Copyright © 2005-2017 BestEverAlbums.com. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Us  |   Advertising  |   RSS Feeds  |   Site Map