Help Wanted: Data Moderation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/29/2017 07:13
  • Post subject:
I basically can't add artwork using the device I have. I almost always add all the other info when I first add the album. Is this ok or should I make a list a list of what I want to add and then add them all with artwork when I can get on my laptop? I always thought just leaving artwork to add was ok, either I'd do it at some point or someone else would. Maybe not. Obviously if loads did this it would be a problem.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/29/2017 11:38
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Do you think it worth making album art and year of release mandatory? Or would that limit our entries and it can always be cleaned up later?

personally, I don't think any of fields should be mandatory (it might put people off from contributing & every correct edit helps)
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/29/2017 11:42
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
I basically can't add artwork using the device I have. I almost always add all the other info when I first add the album. Is this ok or should I make a list a list of what I want to add and then add them all with artwork when I can get on my laptop? I always thought just leaving artwork to add was ok, either I'd do it at some point or someone else would. Maybe not. Obviously if loads did this it would be a problem.

BEA isn't very mobile friendly at the moment (it was designed before mobile devices became popular but is in the process of being completely rebuilt). I'd just continue as you are, because all correct edits are welcome and helpful to everybody else. (You can also filter the 'newly added albums' page to just show albums that added, so you shouldn't need a separate list.)
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/29/2017 18:29
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
personally, I don't think any of fields should be mandatory (it might put people off from contributing & every correct edit helps)

Yeah I agree - we can always clean it up later and it is likely better to know of an album not in the database then adding the restriction.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 06/07/2017 15:29
  • Post subject:
Would it be possible to not have month and day of release flag for any albums, and be a purely optional field? If discogs doesn't have the info, I might be able to find it on a musician's bandcamp or personal website but not all musicians have that info on their sites and bandcamp only popped up a few years ago. Super difficult to find this info for most albums. I believe earlier in the thread someone said the threshold was 2004?
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/07/2017 16:08
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Would it be possible to not have month and day of release flag for any albums, and be a purely optional field? If discogs doesn't have the info, I might be able to find it on a musician's bandcamp or personal website but not all musicians have that info on their sites and bandcamp only popped up a few years ago. Super difficult to find this info for most albums. I believe earlier in the thread someone said the threshold was 2004?

The main reasons for having the field are that it allows new releases to be highlighted, future releases to be flagged & anniversaries to be identified etc. 2004 is the current cut-off as it was deemed at the time to be a decent compromise to allow the more recent albums in BEA's database to have this info. Originally there were about 30,000 albums without a release date, and we're now down to about 8,000 so significant progress has been made. If the info isn't available for a particular release, there's a flag that can be set to stop nagging for the info (just report as a data correction). There's a Google link at the top of most admin pages that links people straight to the top search results for a given item and the release date is not usually far away.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/08/2017 22:26
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
The main reasons for having the field are that it allows new releases to be highlighted, future releases to be flagged & anniversaries to be identified etc. 2004 is the current cut-off as it was deemed at the time to be a decent compromise to allow the more recent albums in BEA's database to have this info. Originally there were about 30,000 albums without a release date, and we're now down to about 8,000 so significant progress has been made. If the info isn't available for a particular release, there's a flag that can be set to stop nagging for the info (just report as a data correction). There's a Google link at the top of most admin pages that links people straight to the top search results for a given item and the release date is not usually far away.

Perhaps then we only need future times and maybe past 90 days with this entry? After that, maybe it doesn't matter? Just a thought. It is the most annoy part of the cleanup, I must admit. Year totally makes sense.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 06/08/2017 22:51
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:

Discogs is actually not very good with release dates...they either don't have them, or you have to dig through numerous releases to get it. RYM is a much better resource for dates, as is wikipedia and musicbrainz.org. Just don't ever use a release date from Amazon...they are about 99% inaccurate.

If you can't find it, simply use the "No Release Date" flag. It stops the album from being red flagged, and puts it into a queue that can be worked later to find difficult release dates.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2017 22:36
  • Post subject:
Hi, I'm a new member and have added ~30 albums to the database. The first one I submitted was a box set. Since I didn't yet know that when I "saved" an album, it would be locked, I didn't add the tracks, thinking I'd be able to add the 6 CDs' worth of song titles later. I'd like to add the tracks, but it appears that the only way is to type all those tracks into the small data correction box, submit it, and then the burden of entering those titles into the fields falls onto a mod. Can a mod unlock the "item" so I can enter the tracks myself?

I'm happy to contribute to the database, but I do find the inability to fix minor errors myself once I save an album a little inhibiting.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2017 22:41
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Hi, I'm a new member and have added ~30 albums to the database. The first one I submitted was a box set. Since I didn't yet know that when I "saved" an album, it would be locked, I didn't add the tracks, thinking I'd be able to add the 6 CDs' worth of song titles later. I'd like to add the tracks, but it appears that the only way is to type all those tracks into the small data correction box, submit it, and then the burden of entering those titles into the fields falls onto a mod. Can a mod unlock the "item" so I can enter the tracks myself?

I'm happy to contribute to the database, but I do find the inability to fix minor errors myself once I save an album a little inhibiting.
"

Which album are you referring to?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website