Help Wanted: Data Moderation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2018 05:02
  • Post subject:
but like if a user has added a bunch of albums and not done full moderation, and someone who could be doing something more productive is adding in that information, maybe it'd be better to make the judgment call to skip moderating those albums, and pm the user like "please add in the full details for the albums you have already added before you add new albums to the database". and then maybe the user takes a while to actually do the work but it will only have an impact on an incredibly small portion of the userbase so it's not really a big deal.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2018 17:00
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
but like if a user has added a bunch of albums and not done full moderation, and someone who could be doing something more productive is adding in that information, maybe it'd be better to make the judgment call to skip moderating those albums, and pm the user like "please add in the full details for the albums you have already added before you add new albums to the database". and then maybe the user takes a while to actually do the work but it will only have an impact on an incredibly small portion of the userbase so it's not really a big deal.

along this line, should there be a built-in cap for users? e.g. you can't add an album if you've already got 5+ unmoderated albums queued up?
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2018 18:40
  • Post subject:
I feel like that would be cool to have but would probably take extra dev work so it would have to be something more informal for now. And also might be a hassle if yr adding a list and have more new additions than that cap, but still have the intention of adding info on all of them.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/09/2018 18:49
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
along this line, should there be a built-in cap for users? e.g. you can't add an album if you've already got 5+ unmoderated albums queued up?

there is a cap already, although the bar is quite a bit higher than that. At the end of the day, we don't want to put people completely off contributing charts (which are what the site is all about) just because they don't get involved in moderation and the moderation duties can be shared around. It's the summer lull at the moment, but if somebody doesn't update the details for whatever reason, I'd still like to think that there are enough people active around here that will help chip in (it doesn't have to be the same people every time although eternally grateful to those that do).
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2018 14:14
  • Post subject:
I didn't mean to imply that users should be made to enter data on albums that they add to the database...but it would sure be a nice and good thing if they did it on their own. Specifically for albums that are rare and for which data is not going to be easily found...or for albums with very large numbers of tracks. And specifically if those users have been on site regularly for many years and definitely know how to do the entries and know how much work obscure albums can be. I just think that those instances are a bit unfair to those of us who take time to help keep the queues as up to date as possible. I just felt that it needed to be said, and I'll leave it be.

But important to remember...nobody here works for anyone else. We all should work together.

Thanks for allowing me to vent a little. Vent over.

Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2018 14:23
  • Post subject:
On another subject regarding data moderation...here's a way you can make it a little bit more fun for yourself, and informative.

While doing the work on an album, take a second to find a site with audio from the album. youtube, Spotify, Apple Music...whatever works for you. And just take a listen for the time it takes to do the edits. Sample the album, if you will. If it sounds like something you might like to hear more of, make a note for later and come back to it at a later time.

The first album on the newly added list right now is this:

Amore Che Torni by Negramaro

It took me seconds to find this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brkzXwPkkCI

So while I work the data, I can listen to this and see if I like it.

Easy as that!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/13/2018 17:23
  • Post subject:
That's a great idea about listening to the albums. I do totally understand/emphasise with your other point about moderation as well. Originally, I thought that once the database reached a certain size the number of new (to BEA) albums would start to decrease but how wrong I was...
  • Visit poster's website
Dankel

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/18/2018 10:50
  • Post subject:
Thanks for adding me as a data moderator.

I have started looking at the latest albums added and have done some corrections, will do more when I have time.

I find the best place to get release dates is rateyourmusic, the process to add release dates on RYM is that all dates have been verified from at least one reliable source and checked by a moderator (I know from experience they check what source has been used) so they are likely to be correct.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 08/18/2018 13:25
  • Post subject:
Dankel wrote:
I find the best place to get release dates is rateyourmusic, the process to add release dates on RYM is that all dates have been verified from at least one reliable source and checked by a moderator (I know from experience they check what source has been used) so they are likely to be correct.

I've found RYM dates that conflict with what's on a musician's site or a label's site. I encourage users to check a few sources if they're not sure of the date.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/18/2018 13:35
  • Post subject:
Agree, some sources are better than others, but not to the extent that you can rely on them 100% of the time so there's usually a bit of detective work involved (it's right to check multiple sources).
  • Visit poster's website