Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/16/2017 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2355): Ready To Die
Today's album of the day

Ready To Die by The Notorious B.I.G. (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1994.
Overall rank: 261
Average rating: 80/100 (from 477 votes).

Tracks:
1. Intro
2. Things Done Changed
3. Gimme The Loot
4. Machine Gun Funk
5. Warning
6. Ready To Die
7. One More Chance
8. Fuck Me (Interlude)
9. The What (Feat. Method Man)
10. Juicy
11. Everyday Struggle
12. Me & My Bitch
13. Big Poppa
14. Respect
15. Friend Of Mine
16. Unbelievable
17. Suicidal Thoughts

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
DJTommy

• Posted: 05/17/2017 00:05
  • Post subject:
A great album, but it's not one of the best hip hop albums ever made. And why so many people think Biggie is the greatest rapper of all time is beyond me.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2017 04:56
  • Post subject:
This is the greatest hip hop album ever made.

Biggie is the greatest rapper of all time.
Laughing

Totally kidding.

That intro tho... sooo good.

Some other really enjoyable stuff too.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/17/2017 06:31
  • Post subject:
TorkilSkorgen wrote:
A great album, but it's not one of the best hip hop albums ever made. And why so many people think Biggie is the greatest rapper of all time is beyond me.

His authoritative, immediately recognisable voice; his smooth, varied, catchy flow; his vivid and often bleak storytelling; his penchant for delivering iconic and quotable lines; an almost indefinable sense of luxury that creates this amazing juxtaposition with the gritty content of his street tales; the fact that he set the blueprint for major label hip-hop albums that would remain untouched until about 2009, and nobody ever bettered him at it (except arguably Jay-Z); his ability to rap over pretty much any kind of beat alongside any guest rapper without ever sounding out of place or out of his depth; the fact that he remains one of the most natural rappers who ever lived, somebody who made rapping sound utterly effortless; he's representative of New York in a way that no other rapper is. These are all reasons why people consider him the best rapper ever. I don't know if I do, but he's very near the top, and probably is my #1 on somedays.
DJTommy

• Posted: 05/17/2017 09:49
  • Post subject:
Quote:
His authoritative, immediately recognisable voice; his smooth, varied, catchy flow; his vivid and often bleak storytelling; his penchant for delivering iconic and quotable lines; an almost indefinable sense of luxury that creates this amazing juxtaposition with the gritty content of his street tales; the fact that he set the blueprint for major label hip-hop albums that would remain untouched until about 2009, and nobody ever bettered him at it (except arguably Jay-Z); his ability to rap over pretty much any kind of beat alongside any guest rapper without ever sounding out of place or out of his depth; the fact that he remains one of the most natural rappers who ever lived, somebody who made rapping sound utterly effortless; he's representative of New York in a way that no other rapper is. These are all reasons why people consider him the best rapper ever. I don't know if I do, but he's very near the top, and probably is my #1 on somedays.

Nas and Kendrick Lamar both have just as good, if not better storytelling. MF Doom has more clever lyrics and better flow. And there are a lot of hip hop artists with better discographies. He is great, but I just don't get why he (and 2Pac) are the most usual picks for the greatest in the genre.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/17/2017 14:53
  • Post subject:
TorkilSkorgen wrote:
Quote:

Nas and Kendrick Lamar both have just as good, if not better storytelling. MF Doom has more clever lyrics and better flow. And there are a lot of hip hop artists with better discographies. He is great, but I just don't get why he (and 2Pac) are the most usual picks for the greatest in the genre.

There's a clarity and efficiency to Biggie's storytelling that neither Nas or Kendrick have. MF Doom has ostensibly more "clever" lyrics, but they really work within different contexts. Doom's flow is also more idiosyncratic, but lacks the smoothness and variety of Biggie's. Overall, Doom is more niche, but Biggie's universality doesn't mean that he's necessarily less intelligent. As for discographies, Biggie died when he was 24, and left behind two near-perfect records, one of which was a double album. Not sure it's really fair to judge his discography against artists who lived much longer. Him and Pac deserve all the praise they get.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/17/2017 16:12
  • Post subject:
Biggie has personality in spades, and brings more of himself to a single verse than most do in their entire careers. Brilliant, iconic album. I have to admit I sympathize with those saying they don't understand the hype surrounding Biggie on a 'technical' level, but I think that's always a clinical way to judge music of any kind.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/17/2017 16:53
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
I have to admit I sympathize with those saying they don't understand the hype surrounding Biggie on a 'technical' level, but I think that's always a clinical way to judge music of any kind.

Really? Biggie's technicality has always been one of his strong points. He made extremely complex flows look easy.

Link

This is probably the best example I can think of when it comes to Biggie on a technical level. He only has that verse near the beginning, but he changes his flow every line or two, and makes it work. It's a really impressive verse. He's actually going over the beat considerably fast, but his calm tone makes it sound tame.

I think he just understood how to go over anything. He never really went the typical route, and his timing was impeccable.

Anyway, that aside, Ready To Die is amazing, etc... etc... Undoubtably deserves its acclaim.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/17/2017 17:15
  • Post subject:
Yeah Biggie is technical as shit.
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 05/17/2017 19:23
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Link

One funny thing; I listened to a couple of old songs today on Youtube (Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu and some other stuff I don't remember). Saw this video and clicked and while listening scrolled down and the first comment is: "They Don't Make Music Like This No More". I've seen a version of that comment on every video that I listened to today and I'm not joking. Sometimes I feel like all Youtube comments are made by one guy.