How could ____ be ranked higher than ____!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
boyd94

• Posted: 06/20/2017 21:38
  • Post subject:
Whilst I think there is accounting for taste, I'm not sure I'd go so far as you AfterHours.

There are plenty of artists I look back on from my teens and I wonder why I ever even liked them. There are still plenty of albums that remain high in my rankings and won't budge. OK Computer has been in my top 5 since I started properly listening to music. Other albums have sprouted up around it but there it remains. I've expanded my tastes across the spectrum of non-Classical music, including jazz, and it's still there.

I don't think delving into Classical music will change much.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/20/2017 21:54
  • Post subject:
boyd94 wrote:
Whilst I think there is accounting for taste, I'm not sure I'd go so far as you AfterHours.

There are plenty of artists I look back on from my teens and I wonder why I ever even liked them. There are still plenty of albums that remain high in my rankings and won't budge. OK Computer has been in my top 5 since I started properly listening to music. Other albums have sprouted up around it but there it remains. I've expanded my tastes across the spectrum of non-Classical music, including jazz, and it's still there.

I don't think delving into Classical music will change much.

I too think OK Computer is an excellent work and, even after having traversed so much music/art history. But it's still "relative", a matter of degrees, of "how extraordinary" a work can be. Anything is possible and you may be correct for yourself and how you view art, but until you really delve into Classical (if you do) you are severely underestimating how many staggering masterpieces Classical music has, usually years/decades in advance of such in Rock. I would say that it is highly unlikely that OK Computer would remain in your top 100, let alone top 5, if you assimilated the history of Classical music. From Beethoven's late period works to Schubert's masterpieces, to Brahms' masterpieces, to Mahler's Symphonies, to Messaien's, Ligeti's, Shostakovich, Arvo Part's and Schnittke's works, there are far more incredible masterpieces that address similar (but much more resonant and impinging) states of emotional/spiritual isolation/alienation (and alike/accompanying emotions/concepts).

Last edited by AfterHours on 06/21/2017 04:04; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/21/2017 02:49
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Yeah, well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I feel like this is a Dudism?

AfterHours wrote:

Yes (for the most part, aside from some more factual aspects) that is what we are discussing -- different opinions. I don't think seth and I (or anyone else) has to put "imo/in my opinion" before every sentence. I think (or would hope) we can handle the fact that we have different views, and so far our discussion has shown me no signs that we can't Smile

I agree.

Dogmatism is overrated. Anyone who thinks their opinion or even interpretation of facts is at a GOD level needs to have a few rough couple years of life thrown at them. Interpretation of facts and opinions should change, or morph and grow, or you are doing it wrong. And that is the dogmatic truth - hehe.[/list]
  • Visit poster's website
TheHutts

New Zealand

• Posted: 06/21/2017 04:01
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:

Yes (for the most part, aside from some more factual aspects) that is what we are discussing -- different opinions. I don't think seth and I (or anyone else) has to put "imo/in my opinion" before every sentence. I think (or would hope) we can handle the fact that we have different views, and so far our discussion has shown me no signs that we can't Smile

Would it help if we changed the site name to IMO Best Ever Albums?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/21/2017 04:06
  • Post subject:
TheHutts wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

Would it help if we changed the site name to IMO Best Ever Albums?

Or ... How about "Best Ever Albums According To Those That Haven't Heard The Best Ever Albums" !?!?!? Laughing Laughing Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/21/2017 04:11
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Yeah, well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I feel like this is a Dudism?

AfterHours wrote:

I agree.

Dogmatism is overrated. Anyone who thinks their opinion or even interpretation of facts is at a GOD level needs to have a few rough couple years of life thrown at them. Interpretation of facts and opinions should change, or morph and grow, or you are doing it wrong. And that is the dogmatic truth - hehe.[/list]

Yes, the following in particular is an essential component to what I've been communicating. Provided one has increased his/her knowledge and experience by further assimilation of an art form: "Interpretation of facts and opinions should change, or morph and grow, or you are doing it wrong."
  • Visit poster's website
boyd94

• Posted: 06/21/2017 19:15
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I too think OK Computer is an excellent work and, even after having traversed so much music/art history. But it's still "relative", a matter of degrees, of "how extraordinary" a work can be. Anything is possible and you may be correct for yourself and how you view art, but until you really delve into Classical (if you do) you are severely underestimating how many staggering masterpieces Classical music has, usually years/decades in advance of such in Rock. I would say that it is highly unlikely that OK Computer would remain in your top 100, let alone top 5, if you assimilated the history of Classical music. From Beethoven's late period works to Schubert's masterpieces, to Brahms' masterpieces, to Mahler's Symphonies, to Messaien's, Ligeti's, Shostakovich, Arvo Part's and Schnittke's works, there are far more incredible masterpieces that address similar (but much more resonant and impinging) states of emotional/spiritual isolation/alienation (and alike/accompanying emotions/concepts).

I'm sure I'd love a lot of classical music, I'm probably going to begin in a few weeks (too busy right now). I'm skeptical however that it will significantly change my current tastes in other genres. We'll see.

Quick question, a little off-topic. Laughing Stock is my joint favourite album of all time. That kind of delicate, melancholic, perhaps more modern classical music is more to my tastes, as opposed to the gigantic orchestral movements I've heard (which oddly remind me of the metal genre which I do not like). I enjoy Jonny Greenwood's soundtracks. Where do you recommend I start?
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 06/21/2017 19:25
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:

until you really delve into Classical (if you do) you are severely underestimating how many staggering masterpieces Classical music has, usually years/decades in advance of such in Rock. I would say that it is highly unlikely that OK Computer would remain in your top 100, let alone top 5, if you assimilated the history of Classical music. From Beethoven's late period works to Schubert's masterpieces, to Brahms' masterpieces, to Mahler's Symphonies, to Messaien's, Ligeti's, Shostakovich, Arvo Part's and Schnittke's works, there are far more incredible masterpieces that address similar (but much more resonant and impinging) states of emotional/spiritual isolation/alienation (and alike/accompanying emotions/concepts).

I've delved very deeply into all the pieces you've mentioned (and into classical music in general) and OK Computer is still in my top 100. It's not like everyone would have classical music in their top 100 if they just gave it a chance, it just doesn't click with everyone.

Caveat: I love classical music.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/21/2017 19:48
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

until you really delve into Classical (if you do) you are severely underestimating how many staggering masterpieces Classical music has, usually years/decades in advance of such in Rock. I would say that it is highly unlikely that OK Computer would remain in your top 100, let alone top 5, if you assimilated the history of Classical music. From Beethoven's late period works to Schubert's masterpieces, to Brahms' masterpieces, to Mahler's Symphonies, to Messaien's, Ligeti's, Shostakovich, Arvo Part's and Schnittke's works, there are far more incredible masterpieces that address similar (but much more resonant and impinging) states of emotional/spiritual isolation/alienation (and alike/accompanying emotions/concepts).

I've delved very deeply into all the pieces you've mentioned (and into classical music in general) and OK Computer is still in my top 100. It's not like everyone would have classical music in their top 100 if they just gave it a chance, it just doesn't click with everyone.

Caveat: I love classical music.

Right on. Out of curiosity, what are the various works I am referring to and what are the key elements that you got out of them?
  • Visit poster's website
SOCRATES

Peru

• Posted: 06/21/2017 19:55
  • Post subject:
Since childhood, I love classical music. Ah and Ok Computer is top 5 of all time.
  • Visit poster's website