What top BEA picks do u just not like but everyone else does

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/13/2017 23:41
  • Post subject: Re: I
glynspsa wrote:
I was clearly referencing Kanye West thats why subject says Kanye West.

Oh, woops. My bad. Never even knew that was a thing to be honest.
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 06/13/2017 23:55
  • Post subject:

OK Computer by Radiohead
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2017 00:04
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
LordMark wrote:
I don't HATE any of these artists. I just think they're extremely overrated.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon is really good, but not definitely not among my favourite albums. Wish You Were Here is kind of boring.

Bob Dylan - He writes some great songs, but other music artists make superior cover versions (eg. "All Along the Watchtower")

Neil Young - Here in Canada, I've grown really tired of the debate about whether After the Gold Rush or Harvest is the greatest Canadian album of all time. Obviously, these people have never listened to Funeral or The Suburbs.

The Clash - My recent obsession with Joy Division has made me realize that I prefer post-punk over actual punk, and The Clash are pretty much the poster child of the latter. It's only fitting that London Calling has a track called "Lost in the Supermarket" because the supermarket is exactly where I expect to hear an album like that one.

Metallica - I'm not a fan of James Hetfield's vocals, and I find that most (but not all) of their guitar riffs are boring and overlong. Also, I'm not a headbanging metalhead, so this band doesn't have much to offer me. I'm sick of Master of Puppets always ranking on best ever albums lists while Tool's far superior albums, including AEnima and Lateralus, are always being snubbed.

Interesting picks, I don't agree with most of those but you made your case pretty well.

I also don't hate any of the artists I mentioned, just don't love them as much as the others here.

Im not Canadian, but i live on the border, and its fascinating to see how these things change over time. You say the debate now is over which Neil Young album is the greatest Canadian album. Years ago, the debate would have been over which Joni Mitchell album And before that maybe which Gordon Lightfoot or Leonard Cohen or even Buffy Sainte Marie. And i distinctly remember growing up listening to CFNY in Toronto when they had polls frequently asking this question, and i remember the winners were often people like Rough Trade or Martha and the Muffins or Our Lady Peace. And guess what, i love ALL these albums.Just proves how much it depends on the time period.
N
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2017 00:14
  • Post subject:
It's all good. I'm so ba at computers I'm probably the only one that puts something there. Lol.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2017 00:33
  • Post subject:
LordMark wrote:
I don't HATE any of these artists. I just think they're extremely overrated.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon is really good, but not definitely not among my favourite albums. Wish You Were Here is kind of boring.

Bob Dylan - He writes some great songs, but other music artists make superior cover versions (eg. "All Along the Watchtower")

Neil Young - Here in Canada, I've grown really tired of the debate about whether After the Gold Rush or Harvest is the greatest Canadian album of all time. Obviously, these people have never listened to Funeral or The Suburbs.

The Clash - My recent obsession with Joy Division has made me realize that I prefer post-punk over actual punk, and The Clash are pretty much the poster child of the latter. It's only fitting that London Calling has a track called "Lost in the Supermarket" because the supermarket is exactly where I expect to hear an album like that one.

Metallica - I'm not a fan of James Hetfield's vocals, and I find that most (but not all) of their guitar riffs are boring and overlong. Also, I'm not a headbanging metalhead, so this band doesn't have much to offer me. I'm sick of Master of Puppets always ranking on best ever albums lists while Tool's far superior albums, including AEnima and Lateralus, are always being snubbed.

Dont feel bad. Even the punks prefered post-punk. Which is why almost every single one of them stopped making punk records when they decided they preferred disco beats over punk. Of course, they were too self conscious to admit this. So they labelled it post- punk to avoid backlash from punk fans.
  • Visit poster's website
Ben4

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2017 03:37
  • Post subject:
I'm not a huge fan of Kid A. When I first was getting into Radiohead I loved it, but it hasn't stuck with me the way OK Computer and The Bends have. It's just a little too out there for my tastes, and I find it a little boring.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2017 04:24
  • Post subject:
Ben4 wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Kid A. When I first was getting into Radiohead I loved it, but it hasn't stuck with me the way OK Computer and The Bends have. It's just a little too out there for my tastes, and I find it a little boring.

Thats weird, because Kid A is the only Radiohead album i really like. The only one that ISN'T a little boring.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2017 04:48
  • Post subject:
I secretly want to request all the brothers and sisters on the other side of the pond to forever remove any and all Oasis albums from their charts (and replace them with U2 (the post-punk pre-Joshua Tree albums would ...hahahahaha). I mean us Yanks (and Canooks and all the other other side of the ponders) have it on our charts too (I might even on my year charts cause I put even crappy albums on those charts cause I haven't quite flushed them out), but yeah... I still blame the country of origin.

Also I was listening to the BEA top 200 songs playlist on shuffle and every time Red House Painters and Slint come on I cringe for about 2 seconds before I quickly skip those songs. Never have been able to appreciate those "masterpieces".
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2017 05:00
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I secretly want to request all the brothers and sisters on the other side of the pond to forever remove any and all Oasis albums from their charts (and replace them with U2 (the post-punk pre-Joshua Tree albums would ...hahahahaha). I mean us Yanks (and Canooks and all the other other side of the ponders) have it on our charts too (I might even on my year charts cause I put even crappy albums on those charts cause I haven't quite flushed them out), but yeah... I still blame the country of origin.

Also I was listening to the BEA top 200 songs playlist on shuffle and every time Red House Painters and Slint come on I cringe for about 2 seconds before I quickly skip those songs. Never have been able to appreciate those "masterpieces".

Agreed. Except i would go one step further than you and only allow U2's very first single. After I Will Follow, which is great, they immediately became mediocre pompous makers of mediocre pompous music. The inventors of Plod Rock. Which is unfortunately still with us today. In fact, its the main style of rock ever since U2.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2017 05:10
  • Post subject:
Laughing
  • Visit poster's website