Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 23:09
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Wow. You're a braver man than me. In the Aeroplane is one of those albums that i wouldnt dare say i dont like. Not on this site, anyway. You can get killed for that. Just like i would never ever admit that i hate Tom Waits and Nick Cave and Bruce Springsteen. I would NEVER say that on this site.

AAL2014 wrote:
Quote:
I get why people like In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. It's very unique as well as sonically intricate while maintaining a relatively simplistic musical approach. I however can't really connect with the music itself as of yet. I'd love to get to the point where I can change my mind on it though.

I said this earlier but missed this conversation: In The Aeroplan Over The Sea is great in small doses. It bores me after a while is the problem I have. It gets a bit too samey for my taste. BUT... do you guys like punk rock? What I like about it is it combines a folk singer almost kind of thing with an almost punk rock thing... so pretty damn good stuff. Most punk rock I like in short stints too. It's the quick emotional outbusts... but often that high energy thing gets boring after a while. This is why I like Nirvana - their bursts of energy have depth to them for me and somehow this doesn't.

Rain dogs is pretty damn good, but I also can't say I'm a HUGE fan of Tom Waits... maybe a better way to say it, is it isn't my bread and butter. I do love the fact he was in Mystery Men.

Nick Cave and Bruce are in the same boat for me... it's never really taken off for me, regardless of all the acclaims I hear from friends and sites like these. It's like, eh... I guess I can see why some people like it. It isn't bad, it just isn't memorable or whatever. And I've listened to them more than just a song or two... I've listened to at least 3 or so albums of theirs and never once was I like, ooh, shit I should listen to this again. It was always... well that was a waste of my time.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 07/16/2017 23:42; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 23:35
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
AAL and seth, I think y'all are hung up on the specific recordings and their length, comparing "Let It Be" to all of A Love Supreme; I'm more interested in the gist of what Yann was saying, which I took as something like, "It's easier to make jazz than pop." I wanna know the thought process behind that.

Hmm....good question. I felt like I agreed when he said it, mostly because most experience with jazz that I've had was, well here's the key/chart, have fun. Pop songs, I had to remember more forms, more key changes, etc.

I'm not saying my experience is THE experience at all. Hayden has WAY more experience with it.

For me a love supreme didn't seem genius. I mean the chant felt like it brought it down/little to no musicality to it.

The orchestration of Let It Be feels and sounds more complex/sophisticated/layered to me, even if it isn't.

I was speaking to length because pop vs jazz and the previous conversations I've had about great music, in my book, needs to be easily digested/related.

I'm saying this as an opinion/from my experience. I've only heard A Love Supreme twice and Let It Be probably 100 times. I'll just say I wasn't swooned by a Love Supreme enough to want to revisit it beyond "I should"... great art... etc.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 07/16/2017 23:39; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 23:36
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Why Let It Be isn't just a pop song.

Chiaroscuro

I'm not sure if this is the word you're looking for. Unless you're making a really vague joke about 'There is still a light that shines on me'.

I was - he contrasts light and dark a few times in the song. And not as a joke, that's literally what happens in the song - stating a fact.

Sure typically that term is used in visual art, but lyrically he is visualizing the same.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/16/2017 23:48
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Hayden wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Why Let It Be isn't just a pop song.

Chiaroscuro

I'm not sure if this is the word you're looking for. Unless you're making a really vague joke about 'There is still a light that shines on me'.

I was - he contrasts light and dark a few times in the song. And not as a joke, that's literally what happens in the song - stating a fact.

Sure typically that term is used in visual art, but lyrically he is visualizing the same.

Oh, well, okay. Odd way to look at it, but sure. I don't usually hear chiaroscuro as a way to describe emotional troughs, but I guess it works.

Quote:
I'm not saying my experience is THE experience at all. Hayden has WAY more experience with it.

And I'm not 100% sure what this means, but I'll vouch again that I didn't like A Love Supreme until my fifth or sixth time hearing it. Listen to a few records off of Blue Note (good ones, bad ones, whatever), then go back to A Love Supreme. See if your opinion changes at all.

Also, I won't get into the Tom Waits/ Nick Cave/ Neutral Milk Hotel post, because that just hurts my heart.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/17/2017 04:39
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I've only heard A Love Supreme twice

Oh, well... Think
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/17/2017 04:58
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Why Let It Be isn't just a pop song. In just those 4 minutes or whatever these intellectual and emotional concepts are touched on (and this is just top of mind):
Patience
Learning to let go
Zen/mindfulness
Faith
Wisdom
Moment of Catharsis/emotionally related
Chiaroscuro

Ok, I guess Confused Though these are a real stretch because they're elicited superficially. I don't see why the emotional/conceptual content would matter so much if it pales in comparison to so many works that have done it so much more substantially?

I mean, something like Popol Vuh's Hosianna Mantra or Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert or Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time far surpasses Let It Be's degree of emotional/conceptual expression, depth and significance in all these areas.

And if you really want to "hear" chiaroscuro, I would recommend, for instance, Demdike Stare's Symbiosis, or Bark Psychosis' Hex.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2017 06:08
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
Quote:
I get why people like In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. It's very unique as well as sonically intricate while maintaining a relatively simplistic musical approach. I however can't really connect with the music itself as of yet. I'd love to get to the point where I can change my mind on it though.

I said this earlier but missed this conversation: In The Aeroplan Over The Sea is great in small doses. It bores me after a while is the problem I have. It gets a bit too samey for my taste. BUT... do you guys like punk rock? What I like about it is it combines a folk singer almost kind of thing with an almost punk rock thing... so pretty damn good stuff. Most punk rock I like in short stints too. It's the quick emotional outbusts... but often that high energy thing gets boring after a while. This is why I like Nirvana - their bursts of energy have depth to them for me and somehow this doesn't.

Funny you should mention that seth, just the other night I returned to ITAOTS after a long time and only a couple solid previous listens. I found myself enjoying it more than ever, and I see the beauty in the record not just the depth of the instrumentation itself. However, I only got to song 6 where I lost interest and stopped listening. I was still enjoying it, but I had my fill of it for a minute. I'm the same way with a lot of bands, Nirvana included. I am a big fan of theirs overall but they're definitely a flavor I return to sparsely now. Pink Floyd I've always been the same way with too. I could never listen to Pink Floyd all day, one album at a time and I'm good for a month or more. At least ITAOTS grew on me.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2017 06:22
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
AAL and seth, I think y'all are hung up on the specific recordings and their length, comparing "Let It Be" to all of A Love Supreme; I'm more interested in the gist of what Yann was saying, which I took as something like, "It's easier to make jazz than pop." I wanna know the thought process behind that.

I agree, I would like to know as well. There are many different aspects to that statement, but I agreed with someone earlier who said pop songs are pretty formulaic and you take that basic formula and go. Anyway, I do want to see more of Yann's thoughts.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2017 06:28
  • Post subject:
I feel like this was getting wrapped up, but I have to interject my distaste for Neutral Milk Hotel as well.

other bands/ albums

Arcade Fire

The last National album (and most likely the upcoming one)

Blood on the Tracks' placement has always baffled me. It's probably my 6th favorite Dylan record.

I like Jeff Buckley, but I don't think his debut should be number 1 in 94. I also love Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk just as much or more.

Sufjan Stevens- Illinoise is ok, but the rest is meh

Bon Iver

I'm sure you're noticing a pattern at this point, so I'll stop here.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 07/17/2017 10:27
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
I agree, I would like to know as well. There are many different aspects to that statement, but I agreed with someone earlier who said pop songs are pretty formulaic and you take that basic formula and go. Anyway, I do want to see more of Yann's thoughts.

Let me ask the question differently: imagine the following : back in the sixities, a producer ask Paul Mc Cartney to do an instumental jazz album (with the least possible pop elements in it: he has to play the game) and he ask John Coltrane to do a pop album (with the least possible jazz elements in it: he has to play the game too). Imagine they both accept the challenge: which one of the two resulting album you think would be the best ?
To me it's Macca's, because I really think it's more difficult to achieve a good pop album than a good instumental jazz album. The subtilities one can see in A Love Supreme are too hazardous for me. I find Pet Sounds much more spiritual than A Love Supreme (or Laughing Stock by Talk Talk if you want something more experimental). "Too many notes !" like the king says to Mozart in the Amadeus movie Smile (although Mozart had many "focused" melodies in his work)
  • Visit poster's website