Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2017 13:29
  • Post subject:
i think

Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex...ex Pistols
is overrated in almost every poll. i just don't get it always rating so high. it would not make my 500 favorites hell it wouldn't make my 1000 favorites, to be honest though i am not a huge punk fan, i like Television and whatever you consider the talking heads and blondie. but harder punk just doesn't really turn me on.
i also think tis is highly overrated:

Master Of Puppets by Metallica

and as previously mentioned all of kanye west's catalog particularly this album:

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2017 17:34
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Let me ask the question differently: imagine the following : back in the sixities, a producer ask Paul Mc Cartney to do an instumental jazz album (with the least possible pop elements in it: he has to play the game) and he ask John Coltrane to do a pop album (with the least possible jazz elements in it: he has to play the game too). Imagine they both accept the challenge: which one of the two resulting album you think would be the best ?
To me it's Macca's, because I really think it's more difficult to achieve a good pop album than a good instumental jazz album. The subtilities one can see in A Love Supreme are too hazardous for me. I find Pet Sounds much more spiritual than A Love Supreme (or Laughing Stock by Talk Talk if you want something more experimental). "Too many notes !" like the king says to Mozart in the Amadeus movie Smile (although Mozart had many "focused" melodies in his work)

Thanks for laying that out for us. Interesting thought, as I would definitely be interested in hearing a 60's Macca jazz record and a Coltrane pop album. I think it's tough to ask a question like that and look for a "correct" answer. Since it never happened, we can only hypothesize, but that's always fun to me, so lets do it.

McCartney loved jazz music, and of course it shows in a number of his Beatles songs and well into his solo career. However, being that he never gave us a true jazz piece sizable and authentic enough, it's incredible to think of the directions he would have gone in. I don't know much about Coltrane's likes and dislikes of music during his time so I can't even begin to think of the direction his pop record would have gone in. Either way, there probably could be some interesting arrangements on both hypothetical records.

However, one thing I've always liked about Coltrane is even though he could get tangential in his arrangements, some of his melodies and hooks are undeniable. Especially on A Love Supreme's Part 2: Resolution. I LOVE that fucking hook. I'm not going as far as saying that's Coltrane's pop statement, but it's a definite hook and a memorable one at that. Could he have focused his creative energy into making that idea more pop with the likes of a Macca or Wilson? Not sure, but that example gives me more food for thought.

Side note: Of course Pet Sounds is a masterpiece, but I've never thought to compare it with A Love Supreme, other than saying they are both pretty top tier. Wouldn't It Be Nice is a flawless pop song.
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/17/2017 18:07
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Let me ask the question differently: imagine the following : back in the sixities, a producer ask Paul Mc Cartney to do an instumental jazz album (with the least possible pop elements in it: he has to play the game) and he ask John Coltrane to do a pop album (with the least possible jazz elements in it: he has to play the game too). Imagine they both accept the challenge: which one of the two resulting album you think would be the best ?
To me it's Macca's, because I really think it's more difficult to achieve a good pop album than a good instumental jazz album. The subtilities one can see in A Love Supreme are too hazardous for me. I find Pet Sounds much more spiritual than A Love Supreme (or Laughing Stock by Talk Talk if you want something more experimental). "Too many notes !" like the king says to Mozart in the Amadeus movie Smile (although Mozart had many "focused" melodies in his work)

I noticed that there aren't any Jazz albums on your top 100 chart, unless there was one somewhere that I missed while speedily scrolling through. So, do you even listen to Jazz? Have you invested enough time in it to have assimilated many of its works, its masterpieces?
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 07/17/2017 18:33
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Yann wrote:

I noticed that there aren't any Jazz albums on your top 100 chart, unless there was one somewhere that I missed while speedily scrolling through. So, do you even listen to Jazz? Have you invested enough time in it to have assimilated many of its works, its masterpieces?

There is one Neutral Ella & Louis. Love it. I like the singing of Chet Baker as well. Billy Holliday. The piano of Errol Garner is fantastic. The Getz/Gilberto albums. That's about it, I think. Any advise on some, I don't know, minimalist jazz, or mix of progressive rock and jazz, is welcome ! PS : and I do enjoy any live jazz (on real, not on record)
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/18/2017 05:49
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Yann wrote:

There is one Neutral Ella & Louis. Love it. I like the singing of Chet Baker as well. Billy Holliday. The piano of Errol Garner is fantastic. The Getz/Gilberto albums. That's about it, I think. Any advise on some, I don't know, minimalist jazz, or mix of progressive rock and jazz, is welcome ! PS : and I do enjoy any live jazz (on real, not on record)

I would try the following (among many other possibilities): The Koln Concert - Keith Jarrett; The Survivor's Suite - Keith Jarrett; Kind of Blue - Miles Davis; Bitches Brew - Miles Davis; In a Silent Way - Miles Davis; Valentyne Suite - Colosseum; Third - Soft Machine; Inner Mounting Flame - Mahavishnu Orchestra; Black Saint and the Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus; Les Stances a Sophie - Art Ensemble of Chicago; Lady of the Mirrors - Anthony Davis; Disappeared - Spring Heel Jack; Live - Spring Heel Jack; 6 - Supersilent; As Wichita Falls, So Falls Wichita - Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays (1981); Psalm - Paul Motian (1982)
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 07/18/2017 10:20
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
I would try the following (among many other possibilities): The Koln Concert - Keith Jarrett; The Survivor's Suite - Keith Jarrett; Kind of Blue - Miles Davis; Bitches Brew - Miles Davis; In a Silent Way - Miles Davis; Valentyne Suite - Colosseum; Third - Soft Machine; Inner Mounting Flame - Mahavishnu Orchestra; Black Saint and the Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus; Les Stances a Sophie - Art Ensemble of Chicago; Lady of the Mirrors - Anthony Davis; Disappeared - Spring Heel Jack; Live - Spring Heel Jack; 6 - Supersilent; As Wichita Falls, So Falls Wichita - Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays (1981); Psalm - Paul Motian (1982)

Thanks AfterHours ! I'll try 2 or 3 of these recordings this summer
  • Visit poster's website
authorunknown

Sweden

• Posted: 07/18/2017 21:22
  • Post subject:
Metallica,

I just don't get the hype. It's probably because several of my friends that is NOT interested in music, they just love they just love Metallica. That scares me a little Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2017 21:32
  • Post subject:
Honestly, metal is one of those genres you either enjoy or don't. Realistically want to get on metal music to feel empowered and able to accomplish anything I want. Though I do want to give Metallica a chance. Similar to Iron Maiden.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/18/2017 22:43
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Thanks AfterHours ! I'll try 2 or 3 of these recordings this summer

Right on, enjoy Smile

Probably the easiest to acclimate yourself to would be Koln Concert - Keith Jarrett, Valentyne Suite - Colosseum & Inner Mounting Flame - Mahavishnu Orchestra ... and if you decide to go with some more, you might add: Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, In a Silent Way & Bitches Brew
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 07/19/2017 06:20
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Honestly, metal is one of those genres you either enjoy or don't. Realistically want to get on metal music to feel empowered and able to accomplish anything I want. Though I do want to give Metallica a chance. Similar to Iron Maiden.

And: to actually accomplish anything you want (including the arts), this invariable (austere but in fact joyful) prescription : precise goal, hard work, intermediary steps, perseverance... Wink
  • Visit poster's website