deluxe reissue albums

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
daveybaker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/15/2011 21:53
  • Post subject: deluxe reissue albums
what are your thoughts on the extra tracks that are included when an album is reissued for anniversary etc. Do you consider them a welcome bonus or as an unwanted addition that ruins the flow of an old favourite?

I don't like them myself. If they weren't good enough first time round why are they now.
  • Visit poster's website
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 06/16/2011 01:55
  • Post subject:
I don't really care for them, but there are some exceptions. Like The Who's Live At Leeds. You got the entire performance in the deluxe edition as apposed to the 6 track LP. I also like The Cure's deluxe editions, but that's about it.
bcaie16

Canada

• Posted: 06/16/2011 02:07
  • Post subject:
Meh. I have to be seriously invested in the album/artist to care. Most of the time I want to hear the album as it was originally intended, so outside something that is in my top 50 or a favourite band, no thanks.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/16/2011 07:47
  • Post subject:
I agree, I think extra tracks can ruin the flow, especially different recordings of the same tracks & studio outtakes thrown in at the end. Unless you're giving something new, why bother? it's just filler for the sake of it.
  • Visit poster's website
rilex

Korea, South

• Posted: 06/16/2011 07:59
  • Post subject: how I learned to stop worrying and trust the octopus
They are for superfans. This website is full of superfans.

I myself am a superfan of Pavement in which case I love the deluxxxe reissues. It's not earth-shatteringly brilliant music, but definitely listenable.

They give the listener an insight into the makings of songs by showing us the previous versions. They can also make you laugh by adding studio outtakes or some of the lyricists more adventurous journeys into the weird. Or they can introduce us to hidden gems that for some reason didn't get put on the album proper.

I also tip my cap to the renaming of the actual album itself i.e. Wowee Zowee: Sordid Sentinels Edition, and Crooked Rain Crooked Rain: LAs Desert Origins, or Slanted & Enchanted: Luxe & Reduxe... It shows that Pavement acknowledges the absurdity to some degree.

So my vote is a thumbs up.

I do however find it annoying when I want to listen to Rumours or All Things Must Pass and then the album just basically repeats itself in a different order with slightly different versions.

If a band or record company or Paul the Octopus or whoever decides such matters puts out a reissue deluxe edition, the bonus material should contain mostly new songs or vastly different versions of the album originals.

Last edited by rilex on 06/16/2011 08:52; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 06/16/2011 08:03
  • Post subject:
Just having a quick look at my collection, I have a fair amount of special or deluxe editions. Personally, The Cure's reissues are the best because it shows the progress of the album and what could have been other additions to great albums.

I have reissues from New Order, Joy Division, Radiohead and Pulp (to name a few) but they seem not as impressive. New Order's seem to have just different mixes or edits. Radiohead's are more collection than quality and Pulp's b-sides are at times terrible.

I try to grab a special or deluxe edition of an album I love but sometimes I agree, it may not be worth the extra cash.
  • Visit poster's website
boboland1203

United States

• Posted: 06/16/2011 16:55
  • Post subject: deluxe reissue albums
I personal think a original album is a work of art and should not be added to or changed. Should a masters painting be added to? Even if what is added is good or gives insight, it's at the expense of the original work of art. That being said I like getting extra songs if they are good and I have the solution. Over the 11 years that I have been building my MP3 set, I have come up with many rules. One of which addresses this issue of bonus tracks. it's simple, just label it as two albums.

Label Example
Who's Next
Who's Next (bonus tracks)

This has one problem. It will of course show up as two albums for that artist, but the advantage of being able to quickly click and play the original album makes it worth it.

My Bonus Track Rules

1. I don’t keep alternate versions, demos, outtakes, interviews or live versions of songs that I own the studio version of.

2. I label as two albums.

3. I don’t put the album cover on the bonus tracks.

4. I only buy the original album tracks online. Always cheaper that way.

I know what some of you are thinking… “You get rid of live versions!?” I know it sounds crazy, but it has made my music set way better with out doubles coming up all the time. I’m listening to my Who set (89 songs) on random while I write this and I never have to hear the same song twice Smile

Rule 1 and 4 is at least partly option for some people, but I think 2 and 3 is a superior way for everybody.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 06/18/2011 02:04
  • Post subject:
It's a case by case thing. Sometimes the bonus stuff is great (as on the first three Santana albums), sometimes it is completely unnecessary. I find it meaningless to be a it-wasn't-there-to-begin-with nazi. If it's good it's good and nowadays most people put their albums on some sort of media player anyway so if it isn't any good, just delete it.

I don't include any bonus stuff when rating an album however. That would be cheating.
  • Visit poster's website
daveybaker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/18/2011 08:25
  • Post subject: Re: deluxe reissue albums
boboland1203 wrote:
I personal think a original album is a work of art and should not be added to or changed. Should a masters painting be added to? Even if what is added is good or gives insight, it's at the expense of the original work of art. That being said I like getting extra songs if they are good and I have the solution. Over the 11 years that I have been building my MP3 set, I have come up with many rules. One of which addresses this issue of bonus tracks. it's simple, just label it as two albums.

Label Example
Who's Next

This has one problem. It will of course show up as two albums for that artist, but the advantage of being able to quickly click and play the original album makes it worth it.

My Bonus Track Rules

1. I don’t keep alternate versions, demos, outtakes, interviews or live versions of songs that I own the studio version of.

I know what some of you are thinking… “You get rid of live versions!?” I know it sounds crazy, but it has made my music set way better with out doubles coming up all the time. I’m listening to my Who set (89 songs) on random while I write this and I never have to hear the same song twice Smile

Rule 1 and 4 is at least partly option for some people, but I think 2 and 3 is a superior way for everybody.

Rule 2 is genius, don't know why I never thought of that. Consider it adopted.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 06/18/2011 11:03
  • Post subject: Re: deluxe reissue albums
daveybaker wrote:
boboland1203 wrote:

Label Example
Who's Next

My Bonus Track Rules

Rule 2 is genius, don't know why I never thought of that. Consider it adopted.

Yeah, I agree.

For the Pinkerton Deluxe Edition, I named the bonus track collection in iTunes after my friend Matt Pinckard. I know it sounds sorta creepy to do that, but I'm gonna be listening to those bonus tracks at a completely different instance anyway, so it makes sense.
  • Visit poster's website