Greatest Works of Art of All Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/17/2019 22:14
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
In further honor of Beethoven, and really all his masterpieces, but especially his 9th Symphony at this moment:

Leonard Bernstein: Let me put it this way. Many, many composers have been able to write heavenly tunes and respectable fugues. Some composers can orchestrate the C-major scale so that it sounds like a masterpiece, or fool with notes so that a harmonic novelty is achieved. But this is all mere dust- nothing compared to the magic ingredient sought by them all: the inexplicable ability to know what the next note has to be. Beethoven had this gift in a degree that leaves them all panting in the rear guard. When he really did it- as in the Funeral March of the Eroica– he produced an entity that always seems to me to have been previously written in Heaven, and then merely dictated to him. Not that the dictation was easily achieved. We know with what agonies he paid for listening to divine orders. But the reward is great. There is a special space carved out in the cosmos into which this movement just fits, predetermined and perfect.

LP: Now you’re igniting.

Leonard Bernstein: (Deaf to everything but his own voice): Form is only an empty word, a shell, without this gift of inevitability; a composer can write a string of perfectly molded sonata-allegro movements, with every rule obeyed, and still suffer from bad form. Beethoven broke all the rules , and turned out pieces of breath-taking rightness. Rightness- that’s the word! When you get the feeling that whatever note succeeds that last is is the only possible note that can rightly happen at that instant, in that context, then chances are you’re listening to Beethoven. Melodies, fugues, rhythms- leave them to the Chaikovskys and the Hindemiths and Ravels. Our boy has the real goods, the stuff from Heaven, the power to make you feel at the finish: Something is right in the world. There is something that checks throughout, that follows its own law consistently: something we can trust, that will never let us down.

LP: (Quietly): But that is almost a definition of God.

Leonard Bernstein: I meant it to be.

"As you go on, particularly the Ninth Symphony, it's inventing a new world. And it's so clear that you are then somewhere else that it goes way beyond Wagner." --Simon Rattle

"What is beautiful in science is the same thing that is beautiful in Beethoven. There’s a fog of events and suddenly you see a connection. It expresses a complex of human concerns that goes deeply to you, that connects things that were always in you that were never put together before." --Victor Weisskopf

What wonderfully illustrative (and appropriately reverent) quotes. Thanks for assembling them!

You're welcome Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/18/2019 00:16
  • Post subject:
raadfactoryxny wrote:

Can you also plz send me the link to your "Best Hip-Hop / Funk Albums" diary?

Here: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=19805

Note that at the top of each of the genre-list pages there should feature a list of links for the others too.

There will be more in the future (such as Punk, Prog, etc)
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 02/18/2019 07:35
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
raadfactoryxny wrote:

Note that at the top of each of the genre-list pages there should feature a list of links for the others too.

Thanks for that. And according to your analysis, you always blow me away. I'll happily visit the link you send me soon. Very Happy Embarassed Think
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/19/2019 03:19
  • Post subject:
raadfactoryxny wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
raadfactoryxny wrote:

Thanks for that. And according to your analysis, you always blow me away. I'll happily visit the link you send me soon. Very Happy Embarassed Think

Thank you, though Im a little confused by how your comment reads. Do you mean that you read the Sistine Chapel analysis on the previous page and it blew you away?
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 02/19/2019 06:34
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
raadfactoryxny wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
raadfactory xny wrote:

Thank you, though Im a little confused by how your comment reads. Do you mean that you read the Sistine Chapel analysis on the previous page and it blew you away?

Yea, I meant the Sistine Chapel one I read. And I'm gonna visit the link to more information about the painting soon.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/19/2019 07:55
  • Post subject:
raadfactoryxny wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
raadfactoryxny wrote:
AfterHo urs wrote:
raadfactory xny wrote:

Yea, I meant the Sistine Chapel one I read. And I'm gonna visit the link to more information about the painting soon.

Ok cool - thank you and you're welcome
  • Visit poster's website