Social Media Is Too Addictive

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
cauvee

• Posted: 07/03/2017 00:34
  • Post subject: Social Media Is Too Addictive
Simple and plain. It's getting to be too much. Someone tell these devs to quit trying to make the next big Facebook. Facebook is the big Facebook.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/03/2017 04:01
  • Post subject:
*SPENDS MAJORITY OF LIFE SINCE 9 ONLINE* lol tf you on about old man?
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2017 15:08
  • Post subject:
Ever since 2004, my dad (who is a professional futurist that many executives pay money to get opinions from) has been convinced that social media is "just a fad", and his main argument is the massive difficulty most of the firms (with a few exceptions like LinkedIn) have of making any substantial non-VC profits. This is probably a really silly theory, but it's probably worth bringing up.

Personally I don't use that much "mainstream" social media, and while I do indeed have my qualms with the way Facebook is destroying western civilization and ideologically separating people from each other (the creator of the Facebook psychographics algorithm even compared it to the atomic bomb, for goodness sakes), I don't have anything against people using social media.

I think the healthiest social media use, though, is that which is most connected to the real world, so if you feel overwhelmed with your feed, try to plug it into real-life projects that you love. Over the past year with RYM, I've tried to not just use it to make great friends, but to catalogue all the music I discover at the dance studio I often go to. And instead of using Twitter as a countdown of all the horrible things happening in society, I use it to discover new art criticism, which I add to my Instapaper account and read on my iPad at the end of the week.

I hope that helps a little bit <3
  • Visit poster's website
Bi11LL26Y

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2018 14:46
  • Post subject:
I check social media every once in a while, but if everything shut down tomorrow, I wouldn't be bothered that much.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 02/28/2018 02:13
  • Post subject:
I hate social media, never use facebook, twitter any of it. Only reason i'm thinking of joining twitter someday is to meet the music superstars online someday (probably when i'm super bored).
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 03/01/2018 03:52
  • Post subject:
I like tumblr, it is like my pretentious wasteland of thoughts and feelings, and began using IG lately, it's kinda addictive so I try to avoid keep looking at it
II

Location: I'm not Botswanan, but this flag allegori(is life:)xmplifys myself..(continuationatmyprofileTEXTLIMI
Botswana

• Posted: 03/28/2018 14:35
  • Post subject: Re: Social Media Is Too Addictive
Social Media must be never trusted by us, the regular people.

They are people with opinions just like us, but they have more power to spread their opinions to all the other people.

It's really easy to convince people to believe in something (manipulation), not many people are brave enough to resist those opinions, because if they do, they would get humiliated by the others referring them as "odd" and sometimes "crazy".

The manipulators we have currently in this world (except Social Media) are:

• Schools
  • The Government
  • Hospitals
  • Police
  • Newspapers
  • Television
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/29/2018 08:23
  • Post subject:
I began to really reevaluate my online privacy back in September last year. It mostly started when I got one of those free ad coupons, and it absolutely frightened me just how acute I could target my content for just a fiver. Simply put, if you target your advertisement to only gay, black, left-wing men (which is totally possible), then those that 'like' the content are of that demographic. Information about you like your sexuality, your political alignment, your religion, can be sold off for sometimes very little money. By chance I saw this video the same week, which affirmed my concerns.

Profiling people is a dangerous tool. Facebook's AI is already getting eerily good at knowing very specific things about you, even if it's not something you've committed in writing. Whether you smoke, how open minded you are, whether your parents are divorced - with something like 80% accuracy. It's becoming able to determine whether you are homosexual or not based only on your profile picture - that's the power of AI. It has private access to billions of images of people, and a good proportion of them have 'Interested in...' on their profile. All AI has to do is check the image, decide whether it thinks you're gay or not, check the user data, then adjust itself based on success or failure. That's some eugenics type shit.

The straw on the camel's back for me is that Facebook even uses what you don't send in messenger in their profiling. As in, if you type something out but don't hit send, Facebook still keeps it for their records. This isn't some creepy backdoor stuff they're trying to hide, it's outlined in their privacy policy, and yet when I tell people this it almost always makes them uncomfortable - it's like thought policing.

I actually don't think Facebook has evil intentions, but I think it has scary implications. It might not be illegal to be a communist today, but what about tomorrow? Facebook might not be profiling homosexuals for illicit means, but what if that data or technology somehow fell into the wrong hands? Is that really worth it just so you can see that stupid fucking minions meme that guy from school liked??

I can get pretty tinfoil hat about this stuff, I just had my morning coffee and need to get working but I can provide sources on these if anyone would like to read more into it.

I gave it two weeks of not using Facebook, to deactivating it in January, and I just filed to have it deleted a couple days ago. Everyone I actually want to talk to, I still talk to. I haven't missed any parties. Sure, I miss my mate who moved to Japan's photos from time to time, but if I ever want to catch up with him, I send him a message.

I still use Twitter and Instagram, because I feel like those are public platforms where I conduct myself like I would walking down the street. If corporate spies want to see illustration portfolio, great, they might even know a guy that was looking to hire someone. Since taking up Twitter I've actually been able to surround myself with positive, productive people who work in my field, and it's doing wonders for my mental health compared to checking my Facebook feed every morning.

Just lastly, I really suggest people check out Mastodon. I can't praise it enough. It's an open source social network that's federated, which means it's data isn't hosted on any one single, controllable site - it's content is drawn from a huge pool of different smaller 'instances'. In a way, it mirrors how the internet was in its inception, millions of little websites all contributing. It's a real breath of fresh air, and it's engagement rate is great since the people who use it actually give a shit. It's been going strong with a number of niche communities for over a year now, and I don't see it disappearing anytime soon.
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/03/2018 17:15
  • Post subject:
@Puncture Repair

Stuff like "Wanted Man" (by Ratt) keeps showing up on my iHeartRadio Sad
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/03/2018 20:17
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
@Puncture Repair

Stuff like "Wanted Man" (by Ratt) keeps showing up on my iHeartRadio Sad