Social Media Is Too Addictive

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/25/2018 18:20
  • Post subject:
Started using twitter... Don't really know what I'm doing, Is it at all like facebook cause I hate that...?
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 05/26/2018 01:36
  • Post subject:
I actually conducted a "Fear of missing out" class on the Medical Education committee this week and actually found pretty interesting how many people were feeling kinda anxious and apprehensive for being exposed way too much without any kind of social media. I've been getting some fomo lately, mainly because I am really dependent of new info being posted all the time on the net, so every more and then I've been feeling addicted to social media, like a sickening way, I haven't felt really well with my own life since then, I might need to rethink the way I cope with the things that make me feel bad.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/26/2018 13:30
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
Started using twitter... Don't really know what I'm doing, Is it at all like facebook cause I hate that...?

Very different beast, which is largely why they're able to exist together. I've started using twitter for branding and promoting my work since I left Facebook early this year, and it's been a great way of connect to people who do similar work to me. I'd say with twitter, if you plan on using it actively, you need a goal. You need to ask 'what am I trying to get out of this'. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it. Everyone I know who uses it to connect with friends and see what they're up to have always ended up abandoning it, because I don't think it's a tool for that - that's what Facebook is for.

Antonio-Pedro wrote:
I actually conducted a "Fear of missing out" class on the Medical Education committee this week and actually found pretty interesting how many people were feeling kinda anxious and apprehensive for being exposed way too much without any kind of social media. I've been getting some fomo lately, mainly because I am really dependent of new info being posted all the time on the net, so every more and then I've been feeling addicted to social media, like a sickening way, I haven't felt really well with my own life since then, I might need to rethink the way I cope with the things that make me feel bad.

It's pretty fascinating. I've been talking with some friends who are all aware of the prospect of having kids and what their relationship with technology will be. Dopamine is a real addiction, and social media notifications are a really cheap way to get a rush, and kids love that shit like nothing else. 'Likes' mean almost literally nothing, they accomplish nothing and prove very little, and yet we often obsess over them, weighing our success in on them.

I'm lucky in that I've never really had an addictive personality, or a 'rich' enough social life that relies on social media to function, so I've been able to move away from it pretty easily. It's great that you've had this realization, and recognizing it could be a problem. I think everyone could benefit from just changing a few notification settings, or unplugging between certain hours of the day.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/27/2018 21:10
  • Post subject:
Ok, regarding social media...

What in the hell is this new thing on Facebook? It just came out of the blue sometime in the last week or so. People are sharing these posts where, instead of everything being in one picture, it's two pictures, one on top of the other. Sometimes it's a connecting image, or other times it's one of those quotes (I've never been a fan of the pictures of words though I guess people are more likely to read it than if you typed it). Almost always the top image is a video while the bottom is a regular picture (speaking of pictures of words, those come in video form now too for some reason even though it's still just a single image - WTF). Incidentally I was having my first acid trip in years the other day when I first saw one so needless to say it really tripped me out. Sober I look at it and just don't understand.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/27/2018 21:14
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Very different beast, which is largely why they're able to exist together. I've started using twitter for branding and promoting my work since I left Facebook early this year, and it's been a great way of connect to people who do similar work to me. I'd say with twitter, if you plan on using it actively, you need a goal. You need to ask 'what am I trying to get out of this'. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it. Everyone I know who uses it to connect with friends and see what they're up to have always ended up abandoning it, because I don't think it's a tool for that - that's what Facebook is for.

It's pretty fascinating. I've been talking with some friends who are all aware of the prospect of having kids and what their relationship with technology will be. Dopamine is a real addiction, and social media notifications are a really cheap way to get a rush, and kids love that shit like nothing else. 'Likes' mean almost literally nothing, they accomplish nothing and prove very little, and yet we often obsess over them, weighing our success in on them.

I'm lucky in that I've never really had an addictive personality, or a 'rich' enough social life that relies on social media to function, so I've been able to move away from it pretty easily. It's great that you've had this realization, and recognizing it could be a problem. I think everyone could benefit from just changing a few notification settings, or unplugging between certain hours of the day.

Great, so its not like the shitshow facebook. I think I can work with that...
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/27/2018 21:18
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
Great, so its not like the shitshow facebook. I think I can work with that...

There's absolutely shitshows on both, just on Facebook it's probably coming from your uncle.
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/28/2018 20:59
  • Post subject:
I heard that the generation after millenials (what are middle and high schoolers called? Millenials get all the attention!) don't even use facebook.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2018 21:48
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
I heard that the generation after millenials (what are middle and high schoolers called? Millenials get all the attention!) don't even use facebook.

I would hope not. Be kinda embarrassing for kids to see how we all act on there.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/29/2018 08:09
  • Post subject:
Facebook's demographic is definitely aging, I swear it's also becoming more popular with baby boomers while most people under 30 hardly use it beyond messenger and liking memes.

Instagram is where the kids are.

I heard Snapchat is coming to the end of its prime, but that's just what I've heard since I never got into it.

btw Generation Z is one name for the generation after Millennials, but it's pretty loose, just a rush since generation labels are the hot thing to use at the moment.
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 05/30/2018 02:08
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:

To me, its a lot simpler. What I do there is write to my favorite celebrities, whatever it is that I want to tell them.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. And if you are patient and consistent enough, you might just get a reply. So far, I have gotten plenty! Smile Smile Smile

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website