Rocka's Hot 00s Albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2018 21:37
  • Post subject:
Decided to change up the old diary again. Keep it fresh. Here I'll go over albums that I add to the database in 2018 in the hopes someone might find something they like!

First up is the new Meat Beat Manifesto album, Impossible Star.

Impossible Star by Meat Beat Manifesto

This exactly what I wanted them to deliver. An old-school, but modern Dub Techno/Ambient/IDM record. Not many complaints about this one; Jack Dangers can still bring it. I love the versatility of this album, it's not a one trick pony. It kept revealing something new throughout the record. It's nice to have a veteran still be able to deliver stellar albums well past the height of their career.

Best Tracks: Lurker, Impossible Star, Nocebo, T.M.I. , Nereus Rov, Bass Playa

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2018 01:40
  • Post subject:

More Disco Songs About Love by De Lux

A simple electro-disco-dance record. Vocals aren't great, but hey, it's just meant for some danceable fun. Probably won't be on my list at the end of the year, but somebody else might like it. Reminds me a bit of the Holy Ghost album "Dynamics".

Invisible Threads by John Surman

A jazz album that just sort of floats along nicely in the background. It's not very innovative, or fiery, but the restrained playing is pleasant. I like the instrumentation of saxophone piano and vibes, with some songs switching to bass clarinet, or marimba as well.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 01/26/2018 07:03
  • Post subject:
Got some fun stuff this week!

Sekundenschlaf by тпсб

Mysterious Russian electronic musician makes an eclectic half hour album. I'm not too sure what to classify this as but the track Pacifier Habits gets pretty break-beaty. I thought this was a good listen. Read the pitchfork review for more details of the hazy backstory of this artist.

Love Jail by Dommengang

I feel like this is as close a band in 2018 can get to Sweet's 1974 Desolation Boulevard. Good Hard-Rock Psych-Rock, 70's nostalgia. I had no idea who this band was, but since they were on Thrill Jockey I decided to give them a spin. Not like other bands on the label at all; however, I'm happy I listened. Most of these kind of bands end up sounding really bad to me, but these guys Rock, old school style.

Digital Rain by Johnny Jewel

While I'm happy this record came out, and I think it's pretty decent, it makes me want a new Chromatics record even more. There are a lot of interesting sounds on this one, and you can tell that Jewel's soundtrack work has now seeped into his own music.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2018 16:52
  • Post subject:
Well, this week will have to be broken up, there's just too much to listen to!

43rd & Excellence by Aceyalone With DJ Fat Jack

Aceyalone is just such a professional MC. His flow is effortless and tight. I'm not familiar with anything else by DJ Fat Jack, but the instrumentals on this thing are pretty solid as well. Laid back, almost chill-hop type beats at times, very clean. If you're looking for a good Conscious Hip Hop album, then this is for you.

Stop Making Fans by B. Fleischmann

I'm happy to get a new release from B. Fleischmann, but the result was not really what I would have wanted. Vocals, way too many vocals on tracks for some reason. I've only really listened to his stuff from about 2006 backwards, so I don't know if his last one (6 years ago) had a lot of vocals on tracks or not, but I'm mostly familiar with his glitchy instrumental albums, like Pop Loops for Breakfast. They just don't add anything to the songs and they take away from what I want to hear, the warm, electronic instrumentals. The instrumental tracks (or mostly instrumental) are certainly the highlights of the album.

Pissing Stars by Efrim Manuel Menuck

LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM!

I'll have a better idea on how good this album really is after I've listened to it a few more times. In case you don't know, Efrim Manuel Menuck is the man behind Godspeed You! Black Emperor and A Silver Mt. Zion. He has only released one other album under his own name about 7 years ago, which was alright. However, I think this new album is pretty special. I understand why the last Godspeed album was underwhelming now, because he must have been working on this at the same time. Well, if you were dissapointed with Luciferian Towers, then try this one on for size. It's probably one of the most, if not the most experimental thing that Menuck has ever done.

The background and concept for this album is also fairly obscure and bizarre. Scroll down to read the story.

http://cstrecords.com/cst129/
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2018 16:58
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Pissing Stars by Efrim Manuel Menuck

LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM!

I'll have a better idea on how good this album really is after I've listened to it a few more times. In case you don't know, Efrim Manuel Menuck is the man behind Godspeed You! Black Emperor and A Silver Mt. Zion. He has only released one other album under his own name about 7 years ago, which was alright. However, I think this new album is pretty special. I understand why the last Godspeed album was underwhelming now, because he must have been working on this at the same time. Well, if you were dissapointed with Luciferian Towers, then try this one on for size. It's probably one of the most, if not the most experimental thing that Menuck has ever done.

The background and concept for this album is also fairly obscure and bizarre. Scroll down to read the story.

http://cstrecords.com/cst129/

Yeah. I already did based on sth else u posted. It's boss.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2018 17:37
  • Post subject:
2/ 2/ 18 Round 2

In Celebration Of Us by Skyzoo

I'm going to sound like an old man here, but I wish that all of the young kids that listen to Lil Pump would listen to this instead. This is a good concept album in which Skyzoo lyrically explains the issues that face his community. This is the most realistic hip hop album I've heard in a long time. I highly suggest it for any fans of 90's era hip hop.

Cemetery Preston by Greber

I'm not good at classifying metal music with all of its sub genres, so I'll just say that this sounds like a band I like called KEN Mode. Really crunchy bass tones, and straightforward music.

Full Circle Nightmare by Kyle Craft

70's inspired singer-songwriter, Kyle Craft, delivers a less theatrical Foxygenesque record. The songs are catchy, simple, and well made.

Sand Woman by Henri Texier

Henri Texier is best known for being the bass player in Don Cherry's group in the 60's. This is a throwback to those times. If you like Post Bop jazz music, then give this record a spin!
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2018 21:43
  • Post subject:

Dead Start Program by John Tejada

Techno/ Electronica musician originally from Austria, now based in LA. Reminds me a bit of Orbital on a couple of tracks here.

Link

Tongue by Anenon

Another electronic producer, but he also plays the saxophone. Minimalist style compositions vary between chilled out saxophone and staccato keyboards. It makes for a more diverse album than I was expecting.

Link

Metal Aether by Lea Bertucci

Minimalist Noisy music. I haven't gotten around to her release from last year yet, but this one is, well, interesting. The longest track on here is a doozy, it might give some people a headache. The opening and closing tracks are good though.

https://leabertucci.bandcamp.com/album/metal-aether

PURE BEAUTY by SHIRT

LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM!

My 2nd hard rec of 2018 comes from a New York based rapper FKA T-Shirt. This is a really diverse album instrumental wise, and I'm excited to see what this guy will do next as I'm sure this will get him more exposure. Interestingly, this album was made at Third Man Records, I didn't no that Jack White was getting into pressing hip hop albums. I don't think there is a weak track here except for maybe DO IT RIGHT or the final song on the album. The most intriguing track on here is the third one entitled ENERGY. I don't even know what to call this genre wise at this point. It sounds like a live recording of something that slowly morphs into SHIRT rapping over a funky-electro beat. He also uses a nice sample of Ennio Morricone's "Fistful of Dollars Theme" on the track PALACE INTRIGUE.

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2018 02:51
  • Post subject:
As well as continuing to post my picks for the 2018 music year, I'm going to start going over some of the new additions I've brought to the website from other years starting with;

Le Monde Fabuleux Des Yamasuki by Yamasuki Singers

At first glance this may appear to be an album from Japan, but upon further inspection, one will find that the title is most definitely in French. Before Thomas Bangalter and Guy Manuel would become one of France's best known duo's, Daft Punk, Bangalter's father, Daniel Vangarde, and his own musical compatriot, Jean Kluger, collaborated to create this absolutely bizarre masterpiece. Apparently the majority of this album is complete gibberish, with only a few phrases being close to actual Japanese. This album is chock full of funky early 70's grooves, chiildren's choirs, and a screaming Japanese (?) man.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2018 16:29
  • Post subject:
Here are a few more picks for 2018 from this last week, 2/23/18.

Fever by Black Milk

Black Milk returns with an album full of what he does best, which is absolutely clinical production. His rapping is fine, , but the tight beats are what your going to want to hear on this album.

Basic Behavior by FRIGS

Vitriolic Canadian punk band with a female lead. I didn't expect much, because it seems like post-punk revival type bands are dime a dozen in the last 5 years, but it's actually pretty good.

The Skull Defekts by The Skull Defekts

This Swedish band is hardly able to be categorized. The first track I'd say is pretty industrial, and the rest is punky/metally stuff. That first track is killer though.

Pasar De Las Luces by Mint Field

Just like the swath of post punk bands in the last 5 years, dream pop bands have been taking over the indie scene in droves as well. Mint Field is no exception. However, these 2 sisters from Tijuana make some pretty convincing Slowdive esque spacious songs on this record. Worth a listen if you like Dream Pop/ Shoegaze type stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2018 18:06
  • Post subject:
YO, more stuff from this last week that kicks some ass.

Ofelia by Ismo Laakso

This is some really weird dada shit from late 90's Finland only released now. Considering it's from the late 90's I'm kind of impressed it sounds fairly modern.

Fuck Yeah! by Gasoline (Japan)

I think this is the Japanese Mojo Nixon. Less cowboy more punk though. I highly suggest looking them up. They're hilarious.

Stand Above The Streams by Jason Sharp

More minimal/electronic/ambient with some saxophone playing. Is this what saxophone players want to do now? There seems to be a lot of albums like this. Two I've already added this year. I like it, but I can't help wondering if their talents could be used for more jazz oriented stuff.

Lo Moon by Lo Moon

I haven't had a pop album blind side me like this in a long time. This band flat out sounds like Talk Talk on occasion, and not just because the singer sounds astoundingly like Mark Hollis, but the song structures and lush instrumentation help make more than an imitation. Influences of other 80's groups like The Blue Nile and Tears for Fears. Modern Sophisti-Pop.

Link
  • Visit poster's website