Rocka's Hot 00s Albums

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2017 04:11
  • Post subject: Rocka's Hot 00s Albums
I'll post an album here for listening that I either added to the site, or has had little exposure beyond a couple of charts and ratings. I will try to keep it varied; as many different genres, countries, and eras as possible.

So, for this week I'll give you something I just added today.

Alpha Percussion by Giovanni Cristiani

A very interesting album that I can find almost no information on. As it's name suggests, it's filled with a lot of different types of percussion, but also features some electronic music as well. I can't even find a biography on the guy who made it.

(BTW, the Youtube channel this album is featured on has an insane amount of good obscure stuff posted which I will most likely get to later).

For fans of Danny Brown go to about minute 21:00 to hear a sample you might recognize. Smile

Listen Here ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HehhB0Fb5EI

Last edited by Tha1ChiefRocka on 01/15/2024 01:17; edited 63 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 17:22
  • Post subject:

The Jewel In The Lotus by Bennie Maupin

Listen Here ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O34A3XVinBk

As the name of this album suggests, it's a Jewel of mystical jazz from the mid 70's. Bennie Maupin, part of Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters" band branches out here with a percussion filled solo debut album. He is a multi-instrumentalist and also played bass clarinet on "Bitches Brew" and some (I'm not kidding) "Meat Beat Manifesto" tracks. Bennie brings together his old bandleader, Herbie Hancock to play keys, and one of the drummers from the Headhunters as well. One of the interesting things I noted when doing some research on this album is that the two drummers each recorded their different parts on a specific channel. In the liner notes it says Billy Hart played on the right channel and Freddie Waits on the left. I've really been digging this album lately, and I actually was considering submitting on the mellow album thread as well.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2017 02:43
  • Post subject:

Safari by Minimal Man

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b81Vb-qzyts

This is a real interesting album indeed. Led by an artist named Patrick Miller, Minimal Man was founded in San Franciso in 1979. They are related to other San Francisco experimental acts of the time like Tuxedomoon, who they swapped band members with frequently. This album is categorized as industrial, but I think it is much more accessible than many industrial album you'll come across. I particularly like the second track "You! You!" that starts off fairly menacing, then changes into a bouncy, even dance-able tune. From what I've seen, the song "Pull Back the Bolt" is their most well-known (Nardwuar gave Tyler, The Creator a Minimal Man record and he talks about how much he likes it!)
  • Visit poster's website
O.T.

Germany

• Posted: 07/28/2017 21:05
  • Post subject:
Péricles Cavalcanti ‎– Sobre As Ondas

Obscure? - well who ever heard it?

Though in Brazil Péricles Cavalcanti is quite a minor legend as a part of the legendary Tropicalia scene and immigrating tp London in 1970 with Gilberto Gil and Caetano Veloso. He appeared in large on Velosos "Cinema Transcendental" in 1978. in 1991, with 44 he released his first solo album, right now when the old tropicalistas were again on a creative high accompanied by a younger generation. But when his second record came out in 1995 the mood had quitened. So this record with it's laid back songwriting came as a surprise as it featured very strange samples (Bach!), word poems, instrumentals that sounded like tracks from german avant postpunks Der Plan, Strings and Bass like from Tuxedomoon, intellectual lyrics and compositional details that were quite far out. In a way it seems like a home recording by a lonely genius who looked back on his youth and into the future at the same moment.

it's difficult to get this sadly CD only release but it's on the net:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlcMSBA...img][/img]
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2017 16:19
  • Post subject:
Thanks for that rec, I'm listening to it right now and I'm enjoying it. This album sounds like it should been released 10 years earlier, which is not to insult it, but may explain why it was not received as well.
  • Visit poster's website
O.T.

Germany

• Posted: 07/30/2017 23:38
  • Post subject:
But there were no Samples ten years earlier. This album might have sounded a bit different when it would have been released in the first half of the seventies, the high time of the experimental brazilian Pop music a phase which to my ears ended in 1980 with Caetano Velosos "Outras palavras" but becaise of the rather slick music of the brasilian 80s and the influence of Arto Lindsay around 198ß I heard new bravery in brasilian Pop. To me this album maybe ended that second wave, as I already wrote, but it also stands out for me as an example of MBP strangeness like Tom Zes "Todos os Olhos", Itamar Assumpçãos "Beleléu, Leléu, Eu" or Jards Macalés "Jards Macalé". I posted it also because I thought about how Minimal Man's "Fuck me" amazed me with it's rough samples when it came out and the Bach samples of Calvacantos record were to me as amazing. I see it as a work of a single loner, a work fallen out of time. It's not shocking if you don't want it to be, it's not the Second Annual Report, but it carries it's dissonances with the slight sentimental melancholy of a grown man who was there when all was really wild an new.
I guess people way back in 1995 expected something more clicheed to a brazilian record and even if Beck would have turned a new generation on a few years earlier than he did, they would have been busy to discover the earlier stuff. To me it's a record out of time or maybe an example of brazilian outsider music, maybe a bit like Peter Ivers, Kevin Coyne or even Kim Fowley in the anglo-american music.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 07/31/2017 17:38
  • Post subject:
i've been meaning to try to keep up with these, been swamped with very interesting new things tho, great concept and I'll try to get some listening in soon!
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2017 18:25
  • Post subject:
Probably one of the most strange ways I've ever found out about a band happened last week. I have been working event security for a company over this summer (which has been awesome, I'm getting paid to see concerts; I've thought about doing a journal on that) and this last week I worked at Warped Tour. I wasn't to excited about any of the bands that were there except for TSOL and The Adolescents. I had to work by the metal stage all day, and one of the first artists was Bless The Fall (ugh). Suffice to say the day didn't start off well. I worked the area that allowed the artists and crew members entrance to the main performance area, so I saw the same people for the majority of the day. Earlier in the morning I had stopped this guy to ask him a question about the show. He was wearing an NYC Hardcore shirt; I assumed he would know what stage TSOL was playing on. He was very courteous and friendly, even though he was busy, and gave me the info I needed. It turns out that nice man was the lead singer and founder of this band;

300 Percent Density by Candiria

I had never heard of this band before, and after a day of mostly terrible metal music, these guys came on and blew me away. They are somewhere between Mr. Bungle and The Dillinger Escape Plan. This album right here has equal amounts of metalcore, jazz fusion, funk, and hip-hop influence. Which might sound terrible, but like Mr. Bungle, I think they make it work most of the time. I was extremely impressed by their set, and I thanked them for playing something that was interesting and challenging compared to the rest of the day.

The highlight is undoubtedly the track "Constant Velocity Is As Natural As Being At Rest", but other solid tracks are "Without Water", "Advancing Positions", and "The Obvious Destination". Might be the only rap-metal I like.

Here's a link to one of the songs, you'll have to find it on Spotify if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff2ync9k918
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2017 15:44
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Probably one of the most strange ways I've ever found out about a band happened last week. I have been working event security for a company over this summer (which has been awesome, I'm getting paid to see concerts; I've thought about doing a journal on that) and this last week I worked at Warped Tour. I wasn't to excited about any of the bands that were there except for TSOL and The Adolescents. I had to work by the metal stage all day, and one of the first artists was Bless The Fall (ugh). Suffice to say the day didn't start off well. I worked the area that allowed the artists and crew members entrance to the main performance area, so I saw the same people for the majority of the day. Earlier in the morning I had stopped this guy to ask him a question about the show. He was wearing an NYC Hardcore shirt; I assumed he would know what stage TSOL was playing on. He was very courteous and friendly, even though he was busy, and gave me the info I needed. It turns out that nice man was the lead singer and founder of this band;

300 Percent Density by Candiria

I had never heard of this band before, and after a day of mostly terrible metal music, these guys came on and blew me away. They are somewhere between Mr. Bungle and The Dillinger Escape Plan. This album right here has equal amounts of metalcore, jazz fusion, funk, and hip-hop influence. Which might sound terrible, but like Mr. Bungle, I think they make it work most of the time. I was extremely impressed by their set, and I thanked them for playing something that was interesting and challenging compared to the rest of the day.

The highlight is undoubtedly the track "Constant Velocity Is As Natural As Being At Rest", but other solid tracks are "Without Water", "Advancing Positions", and "The Obvious Destination". Might be the only rap-metal I like.

Here's a link to one of the songs, you'll have to find it on Spotify if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff2ync9k918

So I'm listening to the first song on this album and have to say even though I'm no metal expert, this was so far pretty dope.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 08/10/2017 04:47
  • Post subject:

La Koro Sutro by Lou Harrison

Listen Here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTVEeCDA4wI

Gamelan music was something that I knew about for a long time, but I had neglected to really research at all. I think this piece by Lou Harrison serves as a decent entry point into American Gamelan. It has such a heavenly-sinister quality to it that I thoroughly enjoy. The other pieces on this album are worth listening to as well. If you are interested in those as well the links will be pasted below.

Varied Trio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSzIKjnwTEs

Suite For Violin and American Gamelan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmTZPPNok0Y
  • Visit poster's website