View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2021 07:20
  • Post subject:
Alice DJ

9. Better Off Alone

For a certain generation of people across the world, this song is instantly recognizable. It may be the most simple song on the list, or maybe ever made, but it's so undeniably catchy and earwormy that I cannot deny it's charms. As soon as I hear this track, all I can think of is pizza parties and skating rinks, and that's a good thing.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2021 07:24
  • Post subject:
Alice In Chains

10. "I Stay Away"

Maybe a controversial pick to some, but this has always been MY favorite Alice In Chains song. I think it perfectly captures everything that made them stand out from the other Seattle grunge bands. The sludginess of the guitars during the chorus mixed with the prettier acoustic verses are wonderful. The orchestral-backed ending of the song makes for an emotionally powerful track when paired with Layne Staley's always resonant, charged, and anguished delivery. (and lyrics.)

Link
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 10/02/2021 12:20
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
808 State

4. Pacific State (Pacific 202)

This is a pick that may verge on personal bias, but I can't think of a better example of why techno music is fun than this. "Pacific State" has several different forms, but 202 is the most well-known. It's the version that appears on the album "90", and it's one of my favorites. I own the single to this song. I love everything about it from the cheesy midi sounding brass, to the surprisingly evocative bird sounds. It's one of those tracks that I just want to live in. One of the last vestiges of the 80s to make a large impact on music.

Link

This album is currently 15th in my neverending queue, seems I'm in for a blast. Also interesting Alice in Chains pick, I'd probably go for Rooster or Would, although frankly there's about 10 good choices. Whole Lotta Rosie too, not a bad choice at all (Let There Be Rock is better though Smile ). Pac choices aren't my faves but are the best picks for this sort of exercise and I'm not sure I'd consider any Aerosmith song essential, but in terms of popularity Sweet Emotion is certainly up there with all the late 70s and 80s arena rock juggernauts. In Da Club is self explanatory and I've not heard Satta Massagana before, it's good. Not sure how many non-US/UK songs you've got, but it's certainly more than on the Rolling Stone list lol.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 10/12/2021 04:09
  • Post subject:
11. "Blue Sky" by Allman Brothers Band

I felt kind of bad picking a song that Gregg Allman doesn't sing lead vocals on, but I've just always loved this song. Dickey Betts had a great voice of his own, and the dual-guitar harmony he and Duane Allman create on this song has rarely ever been matched again. Put this on for a good time.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 10/12/2021 04:15
  • Post subject:
12. "I'm Still In Love" by Alton Ellis

Getting to another Jamaican pick rather quickly, here's the Rocksteady groove of Alton Ellis. The song is pretty undeniable, and it even became a hit a second time when it was covered by Sean Paul and Sasha in 2002. Having a song be a hit 40+ years later has got to mean that something went right.

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 10/12/2021 04:40
  • Post subject:
13. "Back To Black" by Amy Winehouse

Oh man, what a tragedy this loss still is. All of that potential thrown away at an age that I'm only a year away from now. Puts that into a new perspective for me. And it was just the 10th anniversary of her passing this past July. "Back To Black" is the lead song on a great album. Finely produced by Mark Ronson, wonderfully performed by the Dap Kings, and absolutely killed by one of the most recognizable voices in popular music.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 10/12/2021 04:59
  • Post subject:
14. "Shut Up Kiss Me" by Angel Olsen

The Rolling Stone list had songs made in the last 5 years on there, so I figured that I needed to figure out some as well. Although, if I'm being honest, it's way to early to tell if any of these songs will stand the test of time as most of the others on this list already have.

So that's why I picked this one, because it already feels like a classic song from a bygone era. I adore the garage-rocky in your face attitude of this song, and I think it would feel right if it came out in any of the last 5 decades of music. Because of the current musical landscape, it's hard for a song like this to become a "hit", but as far as indie/ alternative rock music is concerned, this is about as big as you can get.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 10/12/2021 05:15
  • Post subject:
15. "My Girls" by Animal Collective

I'm still going to claim to not like Animal Collective that much, but I continue to somehow like them more with each passing year. This song is a banger about settling down with your nuclear family and chilling, which is a weird topic for a song like this, but that makes it all the more endearing. Those opening synth lines will pop up again at another point in the chart. They're strikingly similar to another song on the list. It's slow to start, but as soon as that chorus hits, the song reaches new heights.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/12/2021 10:55
  • Post subject:
Im enjoying these selections and write ups!

I heard Pacific State for the first time properly last week (though I instantly recognised it). Its great, Im glad you included it.

My favourite Angel Olsen is Sister, but you were probably right to go with the catchier and more widely known choice. And yeah, Angel Olsen is a good one for a more recent track. I might have gone with a track from Mitski though. Arguably the best sing-songwriter of the past decade (at least in my book).

The Allman brothers track also really nice. They have passed me by a bit, though that is some sweet guitar playing. The only other Allman brothers track I know is an instrumental one that is used as the theme tune to Top Gear (UK tv show).
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 10/12/2021 16:58
  • Post subject:
@theblueboy

Thanks for the feedback! Mitski was on the list for a moment, and I forgot what I replaced her with. Sorry Very Happy

Allman Brothers are a great band, and "Jessica" is the theme for Top Gear. Another good one.
  • Visit poster's website