Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2017 06:53
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Tin Of Drum by Rapoon

I just added this album by an artist I only found out existed two days ago, but his music has already grown on me. This album is perfect for anybody who love ambient music like myself. I was immediately hypnotized by the pulsating beats and dreamy textures of this album. I always like when spoken word passages are set over this type of music as well. This album is considered to be in the niche sub-genre of "Tribal Ambient" associated with artists like Jon Hassell and some Steve Roach albums like Dreamtime Return. It basically means that they usually employ some kind of traditional drumming into the songs. The star of this album is the 30 minute behemoth of a final track entitled, "Southbound". My favorite thing about ambient music is how the subtle changes that happen throughout the track usually take you to somewhere completely different than where you started. This song does this about 5 times in the course of the run time, which doesn't make it feel like a 30 minute song. I've only listened to it completely twice, but I think I might have found a new favorite of mine. This guy's other stuff is pretty solid too.

Listen Here. https://rapoon.bandcamp.com/album/tin-of-drum

Man, he's got a fuck- ton of releases. he puts out about 88 albums a year. Ha ha.
Also, Dr. Alex Patterson of the Orb does a internet radio show called Chewy Chewsdays, and looking over the playlists of his sets that I downloaded, I see there's a lot of Rapoon. I just never noticed before I guess because I haven't listened to most of them yet.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2017 07:20
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Tin Of Drum by Rapoon

I just added this album by an artist I only found out existed two days ago, but his music has already grown on me. This album is perfect for anybody who love ambient music like myself. I was immediately hypnotized by the pulsating beats and dreamy textures of this album. I always like when spoken word passages are set over this type of music as well. This album is considered to be in the niche sub-genre of "Tribal Ambient" associated with artists like Jon Hassell and some Steve Roach albums like Dreamtime Return. It basically means that they usually employ some kind of traditional drumming into the songs. The star of this album is the 30 minute behemoth of a final track entitled, "Southbound". My favorite thing about ambient music is how the subtle changes that happen throughout the track usually take you to somewhere completely different than where you started. This song does this about 5 times in the course of the run time, which doesn't make it feel like a 30 minute song. I've only listened to it completely twice, but I think I might have found a new favorite of mine. This guy's other stuff is pretty solid too.

Listen Here. https://rapoon.bandcamp.com/album/tin-of-drum

I love the artwork of the Drum tobacco can, but I just wish you could make out the part that says HALFSZWARE SHAG. I I always loved that phrase. I forgot what it means though. Something about "cut".
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2017 09:23
  • Post subject:
I added these newer ones. They're really good, and now I've got something else to put in my 2017 chart , because it's fucking empty. Heh heh. They're different from the other one though because they've got mostly more techno-y and computer-y beats instead of the tribal type beats on the older album. But everything else is the same.

My Life As A Ghost by Rapoon

Un Flic by Rapoon

Wanderlust by Rapoon
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2017 13:13
  • Post subject:
This one is especially awesome. No beats, just drone, drone, drone. But in the good way. Ha ha

Song From The End Of The World by Rapoon
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/27/2017 17:18
  • Post subject:
@bobby

glad you liked it!
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2017 15:28
  • Post subject:
And now for the best Lithuanian/ Senegalese album I've ever heard. Probably because it's the only one I think exists.

Solo & Indrė by Solo & Indrė

I came across this beautiful album about a month ago, and I can't get enough of it. I already really enjoyed the sound of the koro, the instrument that looks like a pumpkin with a fence post jammed in the top of it, but paired with the similar Lithuanian kankles instrument, it's even better. It's amazing how two separate cultures can craft remarkably similar sounding instruments. They compliment each other so well, and the singers voices also work well together. Just a very pleasant and pretty album.

Wow, that's a lot of views on youtube! Maybe not too obscure; however, there are barely any ratings on here, so I guess that still works in this context.

Listen Here -----
Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2017 01:26
  • Post subject: Listen to One Crappy Album and One Decent Album!

Another Night by Real McCoy

This is PRIME 90's dance music cheese. The title track is well known, but the rest is equally as eurotrashy.

Listen Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pav2f4b...9iytIgAjli

Here is an actually good album of some of the best video game music ever made.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/12/2017 03:22
  • Post subject:
I honestly don't remember hearing that Real McCoy thing before. But it's definitely early 90s commercial dance crap. With that cheesy faux- House beat. But to be fair, there really wasn't any good house music until the later 90s. And even then it was only the underground stuff that was any good. And Underground house music is actually at its peak right now. It's never been better. But you're not likely to hear it on the radio.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2017 06:24
  • Post subject:
After completely changing my Top 100, I thought it would be interesting (and too my own benefit) to go through my list and talk about the albums I chose.

Moments by Lull

I found out about this album last month, and I have been so enthralled with it that I made it my new #1.
Mick Harris is a man of extremes. Originally the drummer for seminal Grindcore band Napalm Death, Harris then went on to front the Ambient Dub group, Scorn (a good band as well). Harris' solo work is done under the name Lull. This is Dark Ambient at its finest. It's what "nothing" would sound like if it could have a sound.

The most interesting thing about this album though, and the one that intrigues me the most, is that it has 99 tracks, or "moments" as they are titled, on it. Tracks range from as short as 5 seconds to about 2 and a half minutes, the final track. Some stretches have 10 in a row that are barely 10 to 15 seconds a piece. Listening to the album in its entirety is interesting, trying to distinguish when the tracks have changed. Sometimes my Spotify actually got stuck, because the tracks were changing too quickly, it couldn't keep up.

Those 99 moments allow this album to have a unique play through option. If you shuffle this album, you will get something different each time. 99 tracks randomly selected, able to be played in any order. You could play this album a thousand times and get something different each time. However, when it plays on spotify randomly, there is an annoying pause when the tracks switch, so I would listen to it in order.

Oh, and this album was supposedly inspired by Erasherhead.

I would suggest listening to this album with headphones on, eyes open, in a dark room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD3TFrp...czdzqCEmYp
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2017 15:55
  • Post subject:
"Hey there Fuckface!"

Hex Enduction Hour by The Fall

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a man who gives less fucks than Mark E Smith. He's somebody who has lived his life the way that he wants, and hasn't let anyone tell him otherwise. We need people like him in the world, people who tell things the way they truly are.

I've tried to decode the album cover for years with little use. Here are some quotes from the cover (as best as I can read them).

"Suits off Jeans On!"

"High quality Nazi pressing!"

"2nd hand old US ideas"

I can barely read this one, but I think it says,
"logger gelatine-git hacks dream of gibbous synth-men & their bags"

Link
  • Visit poster's website