What track mars an otherwise perfect album?

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 05:25
  • Post subject: What track mars an otherwise perfect album?
What tracks do u think a great album would be better off without? I do this in my head all the time, but I'm afraid other people might not know what I'm talking about. I find that on even my favorite albums theres usually one (actually just as often two) tracks that just seem subpar compared to the rest of the album. You just wish they weren't fucking there. Theyre just not up to par. And are the ones you like to skip over. The album would just be more perfect without them. I wont list all of MY choices, because theres 100s, but I'll use this as an example simply because I was thinking about it today as I listened to it. This is just an example of what I mean:

Tapestry. Carole King. Would be better without the track "Beautiful ".
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 05:50
  • Post subject:
Enter More Fool Me from Selling England By The Pound by Genesis. That track could have been the best song arguably on A Trick of the Tail, it's not bad. It has a very nice chorus, but I skip more than listen to it. Right in the middle of the god damn album too.

Throws the flow of the record completely off. Give Selling England a 4th track like how Love or Confusion, The Art of Peer Pressure, Since I've Been Loving You, or Jesus Christ Pose serve their respective albums and it's an all timer (I love it 100% aside from it).

Speaking of GKMC, Fuck Real. That hook is HORRIBLE. GKMC might be a contender for my top 25 if Real wasn't on it.

And one more 4th track that is in the running for my least favorite song ever... Great Expectations from the otherwise perfectly fun and still musically cool Destroyer from Kiss. Even for Kiss some absolutely horrible lyrics with equally offensive delivery of said vocals.
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 07/11/2017 07:37
  • Post subject:
Prime examples for me:

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds: Sloop John B. (Without this track the album would have made it into my Top 20. This drags the album down to almost unlistenable. I know, I can skip the track, but just knowing that it exists, makes me mad.)
Beatles - White Album: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. (Including this I can only explain with temporary insanity.)
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 07:50
  • Post subject:
Liedzeit wrote:
Prime examples for me:

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds: Sloop John B. (Without this track the album would have made it into my Top 20. This drags the album down to almost unlistenable. I know, I can skip the track, but just knowing that it exists, makes me mad.)
Beatles - White Album: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. (Including this I can only explain with temporary insanity.)

How weird. Sloop John B is my favorite Beach Boys track not only on that album but ever, besides Sail on Sailor. In fact, I was so disappointed when I first heard Pet Sounds finally because I was hoping they would all be as great as Sloop John B. And Ob La Di
my favorite song on that whole album. Isn't that weird? Then again, I never thought either album was as good as everyone else does.
Actually, i like Birthday and Revolution more than Ob La Di, but it has the best melody on the album. White Album would have made the greatest single album ever, but as a double it's just dragged down by the lesser ones. Does anybody REALLY like Martha or Do It in the Road?

Last edited by bobbyb5 on 07/11/2017 10:42; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/11/2017 08:22
  • Post subject:
Out of my top 10 albums I could happily live without 'Silver' on Doolittle. 'hey' straight into Closing track Gauge Away works for me.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 07/11/2017 10:11
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Liedzeit wrote:
Prime examples for me:

How weird. Sloop John B is my favorite Beach Boys track not only on that album but ever, besides Sail on Sailor. In fact, I was so disappointed when I first heard Pet Sounds finally because I was hoping they would all be as great as Sloop John B. And Ob La Di is my favorite song on that whole album. Isn't that weird? Then again, I never thought either album was as good as everyone else does.

Yeah, Sloop John B is one of my favourite tracks on Pet Sounds.

Swans - The Seer: 93 Ave. B Blues. (I'm a massive Swans in all their abrasiveness like a lot but this is just unnecessary. It doesn't add to the experience at all. To me, it just sounds like Neutral Milk Hotel being murdered then defiled.)

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
kickerofelves

Ireland

• Posted: 07/11/2017 11:47
  • Post subject:
I Wanna Stay Home, from the Jellyfish album Bellybutton.
It sounds like the theme song from a dodgy 90s soap opera and is stylistically completely unrelated to the rest of the album ... and they put it 4th on the tracklist in prime position!

Bellybutton by Jellyfish

Link
[/url]
  • Visit poster's website
kickerofelves

Ireland

• Posted: 07/11/2017 11:51
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Enter More Fool Me from Selling England By The Pound by Genesis. That track could have been the best song arguably on A Trick of the Tail, it's not bad. It has a very nice chorus, but I skip more than listen to it. Right in the middle of the god damn album too.

Throws the flow of the record completely off. Give Selling England a 4th track like how Love or Confusion, The Art of Peer Pressure, Since I've Been Loving You, or Jesus Christ Pose serve their respective albums and it's an all timer (I love it 100% aside from it).

Ha that's a funny one, i always liked that track, I'd happily take it over anything on side B.

It is stylistically a bit of an odd fit though so I see where you're coming from.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 11:58
  • Post subject:
revolution #9 white album, still a great album but i pretty much hate the track.
Money Dark Side of the moon this one does really effect my enjoyment of the record.
Re…ds to the zoo on big lizard in my backyard by the dead milkmen RUINS IT.
Good Lovin Shakedown street grateful dead still like album just very cheesy take imho

The Beatles (The White Album) by The Beatles

The Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd

Big Lizard In My Backyard by The Dead Milkmen

Shakedown Street by Grateful Dead
  • Visit poster's website
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 07/11/2017 13:04
  • Post subject:
The one that stands out for me is Positivity on Prince's Lovesexy. Would be his best album without it. Can't even deride by saying it should have been a b side as most of his b sides from that era were superior. Otherwise there is one track on both led zep II and IV that let them down. Both are in my top 50 but would be top 10 without them. Haven't heard them for ages but it's def the track on II that's basically a drum solo.
  • Visit poster's website