What track mars an otherwise perfect album?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Daydreamer

• Posted: 07/13/2017 22:28
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Also, the songs on Aladdin with an oldies feel, Drive-in Saturday, let's spend the night together ( an ACTUAL oldie), and the prettiest star aren't as good as the actual oldies on PinUps.

Drive-In Saturday is a wonderful song

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 07/15/2017 10:23
  • Post subject:
lleon79 wrote:
Other album I can think about is The Suburbs. If it were 2-3 songs shorter I would give it a perfect 10. Month of May, Wasted Hours and Sprawl 1 could easily be taken out of the album. If we're talking about only 1 song, I think Month of May is the weakest of them.

Honestly, I think this holds a lot of water.

The Suburbs' most glaring flaw is the fact that there is a bit of filler and tracks that are clearly inferior to others (something I fear that is going to plague Everything Now even more so. For instance; compare "Signs of Life" to the titular track.). I feel like Funeral & Neon Bible suffered from this nowhere near as much. Though, I won't deny that I see "Wasted Hours" as one of the more underrated tracks and a personal favourite in the track-listing, I believe that it iss also kind of inconsequential to the album as well. It's far better off listened as a standalone track. However with "Month of May" I agree, it has a great instrumental but lyrically it isn't that strong and it doesn't stick to the driving concept when "Sprawl I" actually does, so I guess that makes it more significant. I'll also admit that I feel the same way about "Empty Room" - "Half Light II" but that's because I'm not as familiar with them as all the other tracks and I've never seen any performances by the band of these tracks anywhere.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 07/15/2017 10:40
  • Post subject:
No matter what way I go about it, even my favourite album of all time isn't perfect...

I'm sure someone's going to say that they do but who actually enjoys the second version of "Big Day Coming" on Painful? I mean, they had a massively gratifying finish with "I Heard You Looking" and then they had to undo it.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 07/16/2017 10:58
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:
Honestly, I think this holds a lot of water.

The Suburbs' most glaring flaw is the fact that there is a bit of filler and tracks that are clearly inferior to others (something I fear that is going to plague Everything Now even more so. For instance; compare "Signs of Life" to the titular track.). I feel like Funeral & Neon Bible suffered from this nowhere near as much. Though, I won't deny that I see "Wasted Hours" as one of the more underrated tracks and a personal favourite in the track-listing, I believe that it iss also kind of inconsequential to the album as well. It's far better off listened as a standalone track. However with "Month of May" I agree, it has a great instrumental but lyrically it isn't that strong and it doesn't stick to the driving concept when "Sprawl I" actually does, so I guess that makes it more significant. I'll also admit that I feel the same way about "Empty Room" - "Half Light II" but that's because I'm not as familiar with them as all the other tracks and I've never seen any performances by the band of these tracks anywhere.

Month Of May has always been by far the weakest song on the album for me.
Sprawl I is my favourite song on the album though.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 07/16/2017 20:35
  • Post subject: Re: What track mars an otherwise perfect album?
bobbyb5 wrote:
What tracks do u think a great album would be better off without? I do this in my head all the time, but I'm afraid other people might not know what I'm talking about. I find that on even my favorite albums theres usually one (actually just as often two) tracks that just seem subpar compared to the rest of the album. You just wish they weren't fucking there. Theyre just not up to par. And are the ones you like to skip over. The album would just be more perfect without them. I wont list all of MY choices, because theres 100s, but I'll use this as an example simply because I was thinking about it today as I listened to it. This is just an example of what I mean:

Tapestry. Carole King. Would be better without the track "Beautiful ".

Good thread

I actually like 'Beautiful' but can't stand the title track from the otherwise brilliant Tapestry. I think it has kind of a boring melody and ungainly lyrics "My life has been a tapestry of rich and royal hues"-yuck!
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2017 01:26
  • Post subject:
I just listened to A Trick of the Tail by Genesis again, and I don't know about perfect, but the album would be even better without Robbery, Assault & Battery. The instrumentals are great but the lyrics and vocals on the track just don't cut it for me. Might be my second least favorite vocal from the band's tenure with Phil Collins on lead.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2017 01:31
  • Post subject:
AwaitingAndrew wrote:
I just listened to A Trick of the Tail by Genesis again, and I don't know about perfect, but the album would be even better without Robbery, Assault & Battery. The instrumentals are great but the lyrics and vocals on the track just don't cut it for me. Might be my second least favorite vocal from the band's tenure with Phil Collins on lead.

Great album indeed. I get what you are saying about Robbery, but the worst part of that album, for me, has always been the video for A Trick of the Tail. Shocked
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2017 01:36
  • Post subject: Re: What track mars an otherwise perfect album?
Michael1981 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
What tracks do u think a great album would be better off without? I do this in my head all the time, but I'm afraid other people might not know what I'm talking about. I find that on even my favorite albums theres usually one (actually just as often two) tracks that just seem subpar compared to the rest of the album. You just wish they weren't fucking there. Theyre just not up to par. And are the ones you like to skip over. The album would just be more perfect without them. I wont list all of MY choices, because theres 100s, but I'll use this as an example simply because I was thinking about it today as I listened to it. This is just an example of what I mean:

Tapestry. Carole King. Would be better without the track "Beautiful ".

Good thread

I actually like 'Beautiful' but can't stand the title track from the otherwise brilliant Tapestry. I think it has kind of a boring melody and ungainly lyrics "My life has been a tapestry of rich and royal hues"-yuck!

Yeah, i think Tapestry and Beautiful are the only songs on the album that give any indication that it was recorded during the hippie era. they're the only ones that have that dated hippie type lyrics. however I think you're wrong about tapestry. It has a really great melody. very very strong melody that makes me kind of able to overlook the words. And also the keyboards are so good that i still wanna listen to it.
  • Visit poster's website
saltysurprise
Sippin' bitches' brew in the 36th Chamber

Canada

• Posted: 07/19/2017 02:44
  • Post subject:
Treefingers on Kid A, really kills the momentum of that album.
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2017 03:13
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
but the worst part of that album, for me, has always been the video for A Trick of the Tail. Shocked

Dear God. How have I never seen this before? This music video is incredible in the worst way.
  • Visit poster's website