Bands you like all but one member

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Daydreamer

• Posted: 07/16/2017 10:55
  • Post subject:
I absolutely agree with Romanelli considering Clarence and The E Street Band in general.

Also someone mentioned Metallica, yes Kirk is a pretty mediocre lead guitarist.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 07/16/2017 14:18
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

Tell me your favorite guitar solo, and I will tell you that it was "overly emphasized at the very minimal". Pretty unfair statement, that there is.

You cannot say that for every solo or even remotely every solo. However, when solos are overly emphasized, that doesn't just make them bad or un-listenable. You're acting as if someone just called the soloist in question a shit player or that he doesn't fit with the music. He fits perfectly with the music which calls for a solo that sounds like what he did. It does not make that solo any less emphasized or "cheesy" (I don't like the latter word because it has a negative connotation).

Point being is that you can be bombastic (I suppose that's the word) without being bad. Stop equating the two. Also, if you want an example of perfectly under-emphasized solos, paco de lucia would be my immediate thought. His playing isn't necessarily flashy though it is masterful yet it doesn't feel like it overtakes the music.

Quote:
What Bruce does NOT do is make anyone the star. He gives Clarence a huge moment on "Jungleland", but most of what he does in the band is very low key, and he never overuses anyone. Including himself...he could very easily plaster all of his songs in Bruce guitar solos, but he doesn't. He always used Clarence exactly right, and the sax parts weren't even on every song.

Ok, but that was never the point. You can be what the OP described and used properly. Meatloaf is a great example of a very cheesy artist who has staying power. Is his body of work perfect? No way. However, despite being cheesy as hell, it's arguable that Bat out of hell is a really amazing album despite those characteristics. You can do what is described without being shit.

Also, as big a fan as I am of Bruce Springsteen, there's no doubt he's had his fair share of cheese over the course of his career. Also, I find jungleland to be a horrible example. It's a perfect example of what the OP was talking about, not your point. Jungleland is easily one of the worst songs springsteen has done and I almost always skip it on that album.

Quote:
The Clarence solo on "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out", at the moment where "The big man (Clarence) joins the band", is less than ten seconds long. In fact, Clarence may be the most tastefully under-utilized lead instrument player in the history of rock.

You want to talk about sax players being used in ways that Bobby described..."Corny? Cheesy? "Good-timey"? A "parody""? You need to look at bands like Huey Lewis & The News. Not the E Street Band. Bruce was ALWAYS smart in his use of Clarence. Sorry y'all can't get that.

Yes the whole "if there are examples of more egregious actions, then this one can't be bad" argument. Whether that's true or not, it's completely irrelevant. Everyone knows Huey Lewis is pretty garbage for the most part, that doesn't make your point any less wrong.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 17:25
  • Post subject:
My least favorite member of Bruce Springsteen is Bruce Springsteen.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 18:03
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2017 05:29
  • Post subject: Re: Bands you like all but one member
glynspsa wrote:
What bands do you think are excellent except for one particular member. For example: I would like Phish a lot more if they had a different Bass player, I am not a Phan of Mike Gordon's bass playing. On a similar note the Edge annoys the hell out of me in U2. I still enjoy both bands but i would enjoy them much more with those guys replaced.

Laughing

Those are almost my favorite members of those bands.

Laughing

Gotta ask why? What don't you like about Gordon's playing? What don't you like about the Edge?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2017 05:30
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Amen.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2017 05:32
  • Post subject:
AgainstMeAgainstYou wrote:
Kiedis is the worst thing about RHCP.

This is true.

Even if they'd be a totally different band.

Even if there are some things I actually really like about his style (his bombastic and his chill).
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2017 05:37
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:
Mike Gordon always sounds like he's playing the same basic thing it goes squish squish squisha squisha I can't get technical sorry i can only describe what i hear. i have seen them many times since 1992 so i do like the band his playing though annoys me sometimes. His antics don't help me like him but his playing really just aggravates me.

I think the only think I could find kind of aggravating of his playing is his timing. His syncopation is often obvious/repetitive, but at the same time I really like his playing...

I could say the same about how Trey makes his guitar scream - I love it, but it often is obvious when he's going to do it.

Both absolutely fantastic, but as the years go on, it is a bit formulaic sometimes, even if totally different.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2017 15:24
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Temporary33 wrote:
Romanelli wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Claren ce Clemons. E Street Band
I love saxophone, but there's a certain style that some rock bands use that is just corny and cheesy. Its like this hyped-up 1950's "good - timey" style that sounds like it's a parody of 1950s rock and roll. It sounds like it belongs on a Fats Domino record. It sounds fine on oldies records, but it sounds awful in a modern day rock band. I just can't stomach it.

Shame. Listen to the solo below (you should really listen to the entire track...but for now, just the solo). Corny? Cheesy? "Good-timey"? A "parody"?

Jesus.

Listen. And open your mind a little.

Link

Oh come on, you can't say that solo wasn't overly emphasized at the very minimal. I think it's good, but the original dude is right in the sense it does give off that vibe.

Tell me your favorite guitar solo, and I will tell you that it was "overly emphasized at the very minimal". Pretty unfair statement, that there is.

What Bruce does NOT do is make anyone the star. He gives Clarence a huge moment on "Jungleland", but most of what he does in the band is very low key, and he never overuses anyone. Including himself...he could very easily plaster all of his songs in Bruce guitar solos, but he doesn't. He always used Clarence exactly right, and the sax parts weren't even on every song.

The Clarence solo on "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out", at the moment where "The big man (Clarence) joins the band", is less than ten seconds long. In fact, Clarence may be the most tastefully under-utilized lead instrument player in the history of rock.

You want to talk about sax players being used in ways that Bobby described..."Corny? Cheesy? "Good-timey"? A "parody""? You need to look at bands like Huey Lewis & The News. Not the E Street Band. Bruce was ALWAYS smart in his use of Clarence. Sorry y'all can't get that.

100% agree with this. Clarence was a (not so) secret weapon of the E Street Band. His solos on the Born To Run album really propel those songs even on an album that's already stupendous in my opinion. Jungleland being the ultimate. Can't imagine that album ending without the huge and melodic buildup from Clarence. The climax of the Jungleland solo is the E Street Band at quite possibly their brightest and strongest.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2017 15:31
  • Post subject:
So, any Iron Maiden fans want to talk Janick Gers' lackluster solos on the albums from the 90's, or maybe take offense to the fact that they give him the Hallowed Be Thy Name solo live instead of Adrian for some reason?

Not trying to sound too down on him as he seems like a wonderful person, but man, can I be in Iron Maiden too?