Bands you like all but one member

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Daydreamer

• Posted: 07/18/2017 22:39
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
So, any Iron Maiden fans want to talk Janick Gers' lackluster solos on the albums from the 90's, or maybe take offense to the fact that they give him the Hallowed Be Thy Name solo live instead of Adrian for some reason?

Not trying to sound too down on him as he seems like a wonderful person, but man, can I be in Iron Maiden too?

Maiden in the 90's were mostly shit, so his playing doesn't stand out as being particularly bad Laughing

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2017 22:54
  • Post subject:
My problem with the edge is he so often sounds like he's playing a bumbling version of pinball wizard. Multiple songs sound like this. He just doesn't do it for me and I'm a guitar lover. Can't play a lick just like listening.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2017 23:43
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
So, any Iron Maiden fans want to talk Janick Gers' lackluster solos on the albums from the 90's, or maybe take offense to the fact that they give him the Hallowed Be Thy Name solo live instead of Adrian for some reason?

Not trying to sound too down on him as he seems like a wonderful person, but man, can I be in Iron Maiden too?

Maiden in the 90's were mostly shit, so his playing doesn't stand out as being particularly bad Laughing

Fair enough Laughing

Of course, I generally like most of what they've done since Adrian and Bruce returned so Jan hasn't deterred me that much. But when it was just him and Dave playing guitar, they lost a lot of creativity, songwriting ability, and originality. Going from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son to No Prayer For The Dying has to be one of the biggest drop offs from album to album ever for me.
Daydreamer

• Posted: 07/19/2017 00:34
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Daydreamer wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:

Fair enough Laughing

Of course, I generally like most of what they've done since Adrian and Bruce returned so Jan hasn't deterred me that much. But when it was just him and Dave playing guitar, they lost a lot of creativity, songwriting ability, and originality. Going from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son to No Prayer For The Dying has to be one of the biggest drop offs from album to album ever for me.

Agreed on all points. I too enjoy their post 2000 output so Jannick is very tolerable in that era. But without Adrian it truly went to hell.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2017 07:02
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:
My problem with the edge is he so often sounds like he's playing a bumbling version of pinball wizard. Multiple songs sound like this. He just doesn't do it for me and I'm a guitar lover. Can't play a lick just like listening.

example?

edge's playing in the 80s was pretty cool. simple (come on post-punk), but cool. i do think he tends to noodle a lot the last ~20 years, but i'd love to know what warrants "bumbling pinball wizard".
Daydreamer

• Posted: 07/19/2017 09:54
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
example?

edge's playing in the 80s was pretty cool. simple (come on post-punk), but cool. i do think he tends to noodle a lot the last ~20 years, but i'd love to know what warrants "bumbling pinball wizard".

Edge is a great player. Incredibly unique which isn't that easy for guitarist in a rock band.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2017 10:09
  • Post subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbF9MPyRTHI

I did not expect it to be a popular choice but honestly i think the edge sucks. Thats what makes art great not everyone has to enjoy the same things. I respect his activism and he seems like a good person but his playing is all jangly and sounds ike a poor pete townshend and often like the beginning of pinball wizard.
  • Visit poster's website
DJTommy

• Posted: 07/19/2017 11:34
  • Post subject:
I think The Smashing Pumpkins have some great songwriting and guitarwork, but I just can't get over Billy Corgan's voice.
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2017 22:31
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:

I did not expect it to be a popular choice but honestly i think the edge sucks. Thats what makes art great not everyone has to enjoy the same things. I respect his activism and he seems like a good person but his playing is all jangly and sounds ike a poor pete townshend and often like the beginning of pinball wizard.

well, muse is a prog band. why anyone thought bringing the edge on that tour was a good idea is beyond me...but matt bellamy isn't famous for making wise choices.

i'm assuming you feel the same way about the original u2 version of that song?
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/20/2017 03:58
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
glynspsa wrote:

well, muse is a prog band. why anyone thought bringing the edge on that tour was a good idea is beyond me...but matt bellamy isn't famous for making wise choices.

i'm assuming you feel the same way about the original u2 version of that song?

I don't think edge was asked by Jimmy Page to be in "It Might Get Loud" for no reason.

But I get that you don't like him. Many don't.

I personally think his transition from the soundscapes created on the Joshua Tree vs Achtung Baby is pretty intense- for any guitarist.

Then I agree with Craola, his Post-Punk work is simple, yet intriguing. Plus watching him live play New Years Day on keys and guitar at the same time is pretty impressive.

But again 90% of people I know don't understand these intricacies and dismiss him as simply the echo guitar guy and that he actually doesn't know how to play.
  • Visit poster's website