Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/15/2017 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2415): You're Living All Over Me
Today's album of the day

You're Living All Over Me by Dinosaur Jr. (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1987.
Overall rank: 324
Average rating: 83/100 (from 428 votes).

Tracks:
1. Little Fury Things
2. Kracked
3. Sludgefeast
4. The Lung
5. Raisans
6. Tarpit
7. In A Jar
8. Lose
9. Poledo

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/15/2017 20:44
  • Post subject:
They came very close with this and Bug but for me they never quite pulled off that truly great album they were capable of. One of my favourite bands of all time though and I was a bit surprised J.Mascis didn't feature more in the recent great guitarists thread.

...and Little Fury Things is outstanding!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 07/15/2017 23:55
  • Post subject:
LittleM1971 wrote:
They came very close with this and Bug but for me they never quite pulled off that truly great album they were capable of.

I guess you're kind of right.

This is still a fantastic album to me though.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 00:00
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:

This is crazy talk. Their first three albums, including their self titled debut which everyone seems to forget about, are all Indie Rock classics through & through. It's part of the foundation of what indie rock was built on.

No, they're not perfect. They weren't trying to be & that's what made them some freaking awesome. This was slacker rock. This was punk rock. They didn't give a fuck. Starting with Green Mind, J started to give a fuck and their sound changed.
  • Visit poster's website
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/16/2017 00:28
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Komorebi-D wrote:

This is crazy talk. Their first three albums, including their self titled debut which everyone seems to forget about, are all Indie Rock classics through & through. It's part of the foundation of what indie rock was built on.

No, they're not perfect. They weren't trying to be & that's what made them some freaking awesome. This was slacker rock. This was punk rock. They didn't give a fuck. Starting with Green Mind, J started to give a fuck and their sound changed.

I'm not doubting their importance, trust me on that and I absolutely love the band and all their albums...especially the first 3. But as you mentioned yourself they're not perfect and all I'm saying is that yes they're great albums but for me they never quite nailed that masterpiece such as one of their contemporaries SY with Daydream Nation.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 00:59
  • Post subject:
LittleM1971 wrote:
Tilly wrote:
Komorebi-D wrote:

I'm not doubting their importance, trust me on that and I absolutely love the band and all their albums...especially the first 3. But as you mentioned yourself they're not perfect and all I'm saying is that yes they're great albums but for me they never quite nailed that masterpiece such as one of their contemporaries SY with Daydream Nation.

Here's the thing. Both Living All Over Me and Daydream Nation are quintessential pieces of the indie rock cannon. Both top ten, right? So it all comes down to what you determine a "masterpiece" to be. To me, if your in the indie rock hall of fame of albums, then it's a "masterpiece". But, I totally get where you're coming from! I think I just have a less strict criteria of what constitutes a masterpiece is all.

Just out of curiosity, what are you're top ten CLASSIC indie rock albums. The one that are most essential and you'd give to someone who was just starting to learn about indie rock. I'm going to think of mine.
  • Visit poster's website
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/16/2017 01:26
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
LittleM1971 wrote:
Tilly wrote:
Komorebi-D wrote:

Here's the thing. Both Living All Over Me and Daydream Nation are quintessential pieces of the indie rock cannon. Both top ten, right? So it all comes down to what you determine a "masterpiece" to be. To me, if your in the indie rock hall of fame of albums, then it's a "masterpiece". But, I totally get where you're coming from! I think I just have a less strict criteria of what constitutes a masterpiece is all.

Just out of curiosity, what are you're top ten CLASSIC indie rock albums. The one that are most essential and you'd give to someone who was just starting to learn about indie rock. I'm going to think of mine.

That is a very good question. I'm going to go for in no particular order and just 1 album per artist...

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Pixies - Doolittle
Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic
MBV - Loveless
Nirvana - Nevermind
Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me
Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff (Plus Early Singles) version
PJ Harvey - Rid Of Me
The Jesus & Mary Chain - Psychocandy
Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted

And for a modern classic I'd go for Car Seat Headrest - Teens Of Denial
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 01:54
  • Post subject:
LittleM1971 wrote:
Tilly wrote:
LittleM1971 wrote:
Tilly wrote:
K omorebi-D wrote:

That is a very good question. I'm going to go for in no particular order and just 1 album per artist...

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Pixies - Doolittle
Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic
MBV - Loveless
Nirvana - Nevermind
Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me
Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff (Plus Early Singles) version
PJ Harvey - Rid Of Me
The Jesus & Mary Chain - Psychocandy
Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted

That's pretty damn perfect! Very Happy

Here's mine...

1 Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
2. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
3. Pixies - Doolittle
4. MBV - Loveless
5. The Replacements - Let It Be
6. The Lemonheads - It's a Shame About Ray (Indie pop is important too! lol.)
7. Nirvana - Nevermind
8. Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
9. Fugazi - In On The Killtaker
10. JAMC - Psychocandy
Bonus: Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

I think they'd both be greater starter kits. And then I'd make sure they heard Black Flag's Damaged, The Stooges Raw Power & Television's Marque Moon.

They'd be well on their way to a good indie rock education. Add in some Tribe Called Quest, some Tortoise, some Talk Talk and they'd be getting their diploma From Repo U
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 04:15
  • Post subject:
It's an imperfect, near-masterpiece. When it hits, it really fucking hits.

Track picks
1. Little Fury Things
4. The Lung
7. In A Jar
9. Poledo
  • Visit poster's website
TheHolyKiwi

Australia

• Posted: 07/16/2017 05:22
  • Post subject:
Fantastic indie/noise rock record, their best and one of my favorites of all time. Definitely a near-masterpiece.
Love just about every song here but Little Fury Things is my pick, it's the best thing they've ever done, brilliant track. I reckon people should check out their rest of their discography too though, it's pretty consistent.
  • Visit poster's website