New Cover Versions Of Beatles Albums: A Hard Day's Night

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 01/11/2018 06:18
  • Post subject:
The Doors versions on some of their live albums are not bad either: I’ve got it on a Box live set but it also appears on this live album:

Live At The Matrix 1967 by The Doors

But I agree that the version of the Flying Lizards is the most original and should win
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2018 19:54
  • Post subject:
Album: A Hard Day's Night
Track 1: A Hard Day's Night

Welcome to the John album. The only Beatles album to have all songs credited to Lennon & McCartney...but the reality is that it was mostly Lennon. John wrote the title track here, based on something silly that Ringo said. A great early Beatles tune, worthwhile for the opening chord alone...something you can't say about many songs.

This one has been covered by many artists, from the famous Peter Sellers Shakespearean reading to just about everyone else on down. Many of these are way to campy, and many more are live versions (a last resort for this project). The Hoodoo Gurus did a nice, but very straightforward copy of the song. My favorite is this one. Brazillian singer Rita Lee made a Beatles cover album in 2001 called Aqui, Ali, Em Qualquer Lugar (not on BEA), consisting of Bossanova inspired tracks. A Hard Day's Night is the lead track on this album, and it's an interesting take on one of the band's biggest hits. So..,.here's the first track on the new Hard Day's Night album...

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2018 19:08
  • Post subject:
I agree with Rita Lee for Hard Day's Night.
Honorable mention:
Monique Kessous (Bossa-Nova version)
Bill Evans (on Banjo)
Ella Fitzgerald

Now, for I Should Have Known Better
Honorable Mentions:
The Beach Boys
Glass Onion
Ilegales
The Punkles

The best version I found was by the Slamcreepers, a slow psychedelic translation from 1969.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2018 20:25
  • Post subject:
Track 2: I Should Have Known Better

This Lennon track was the first one inspired by the lyrical writing of Bob Dylan. It's also the last Beatles track to feature a harmonica intro. This was not released as a single, either in the US or the UK, but it was a number one hit in Norway.

This song has had surprisingly few cover versions...and most of those are live. But just a few months after The Beatles recorded it, this song showed up again. It was recorded by their Parlophone labelmates. The Naturals, and was a minor hit for them. The Naturals didn't last long...they never made an album, and released only four singles in 1964 and 65 before quietly calling it a day. This version is a bit heavier than The Beatles', and shows just what a fun song it really is. Unlike The Beatles' version, this features plenty of harmonies (John sang it alone, double tracked, with no harmonies).

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
FelixC

• Posted: 02/07/2018 01:54
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Track 1: A Hard Day's Night

Welcome to the John album. The only Beatles album to have all songs credited to Lennon & McCartney...but the reality is that it was mostly Lennon. John wrote the title track here, based on something silly that Ringo said. A great early Beatles tune, worthwhile for the opening chord alone...something you can't say about many songs.

This one has been covered by many artists, from the famous Peter Sellers Shakespearean reading to just about everyone else on down. Many of these are way to campy, and many more are live versions (a last resort for this project). The Hoodoo Gurus did a nice, but very straightforward copy of the song. My favorite is this one. Brazillian singer Rita Lee made a Beatles cover album in 2001 called Aqui, Ali, Em Qualquer Lugar (not on BEA), consisting of Bossanova inspired tracks. A Hard Day's Night is the lead track on this album, and it's an interesting take on one of the band's biggest hits. So..,.here's the first track on the new Hard Day's Night album...

Link

The Supremes...A Hard Day's Night. It's a riot.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2018 03:34
  • Post subject:
Track 3: If I Fell

What a beautiful song. This is one of those songs I point to when people say "I don't get what the big deal is about The Beatles". John mostly wrote this, and he and Paul share Everly Brothers like harmonies. It's just a great song.

But the main thing with "If I Fell" is the harmonies. One of those rare perfect two vocal songs. John and Paul were perfect with it. My choice for this is from a duo called the MonaLisa Twins. They are from Austria (they now live in Liverpool), they are actually twins, and their names are Mona and Lisa Wagner. This track is an in between albums bonus that they released in 2016, and it is, in a single word, lovely. Exactly the spirit of what "If I Fell" should be. So...enjoy.

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 02/11/2018 08:25
  • Post subject:
This is absolutely wonderful and indeed totally in the spirit, but different, of how this is meant to be delivered.
A great discovery.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 02/13/2018 20:00
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

What a beautiful song. This is one of those songs I point to when people say "I don't get what the big deal is about The Beatles". John mostly wrote this, and he and Paul share Everly Brothers like harmonies. It's just a great song.

But the main thing with "If I Fell" is the harmonies. One of those rare perfect two vocal songs. John and Paul were perfect with it. My choice for this is from a duo called the MonaLisa Twins. They are from Austria (they now live in Liverpool), they are actually twins, and their names are Mona and Lisa Wagner. This track is an in between albums bonus that they released in 2016, and it is, in a single word, lovely. Exactly the spirit of what "If I Fell" should be. So...enjoy.

Link

Now bingewatching the youtube Beatles cover versions by these fantastic twins. They play their music in all kinds of different settings: Ayers Rock, playing around in a guitar shop, showing videos of their youth, playing live in the Cavern Club and every single video shows their love for the music.
And If I Fell remains the most fantastic of them all: it just moves me to tears: unfortunately I can't find it on record.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2018 20:14
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

Link

Now bingewatching the youtube Beatles cover versions by these fantastic twins. They play their music in all kinds of different settings: Ayers Rock, playing around in a guitar shop, showing videos of their youth, playing live in the Cavern Club and every single video shows their love for the music.
And If I Fell remains the most fantastic of them all: it just moves me to tears: unfortunately I can't find it on record.

I know! I started watching everything I could find on them. They are really great, and have a really refreshing sound. I don't think that "If I Fell" is on an album...I think it was just an in between albums one-off.

If you haven't already, check out their take on The Beach Boys "God Only Knows". Breathtaking!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 02/13/2018 21:26
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

If you haven't already, check out their take on The Beach Boys "God Only Knows". Breathtaking!

Heavenly!!
But I can't stop listening to If I Fell: there's something about their delivery of that song and then that cello...
  • Visit poster's website