What are your greatest moments/memories in rock?

View previous topic :: View next topic
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/17/2011 16:59
  • Post subject: What are your greatest moments/memories in rock?
I'm interested to know what members consider their favourite memories/moments in rock are. This could be anything from the first memory of seeing your favourite artist/band in concert, a particular highlight of a specific tv appearance of the aformentioned artist/band, favourite album covers, the first outstanding album you remember listening to or any other memorable or ephinanal 'life-changing' personal experience.

For me, probably the most memorable and exciting thing I ever experienced was Patti Smith's performance of 'Land' ('Horses')/'Hey Joe' on what was then the BBCs 'Old Grey Whistle Test' back in 1976. It still sends shivers down my spine to this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3coSfks...re=related

Patti Smith was literally a life-changing moment in my life. She remains possibly the greatest female artist in the history of rock music.

Not far behind was the first time the sound of 'Trout Mask Replica' pounded from my speakers in 1976.

Another ephipanal moment was the first time I ever heard the music of the Velvet Underground in about 1976 or 1977. BBC DJ Tommy Vance played 'Heroin' on his 'Friday Rock Show programme' and from that moment on I was hooked.

Other memorable life-changing moments:

Seeing Talking Heads perform 'Psycho Killer' live on 'Whistle Test in 1978 and thinking that I had never seen anybody play the bass quite like Tina Weymouth. So began my teenage crush on the most mezmerizingly beautiful woman that ever lived. I remain under this woman's spell to this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5zFsy9VIdM

Hearing 'Fun House' for the first time in 1977/78.

1979: Catching the bus back home in Torquay, UK with a vinyl copy of 'Fear Of Music' under my arms having just purchased it for £1.49.

Being blown-away by PIL's live performance of 'Careering' and 'Poptones' on the Whistle Test in 1980.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kledjTbvhDQ

Hearing Joy Division for the first time on the BBCs John Peel show in 1980. Joy Division and PIL began my lifetime interest in pyschedelic music.

Seeing the Fall for the first time at Totnes Civic Hall in 1981.

Hearing the dulcet tones of Frank Zappa as he guested as a DJ on BBC's Radio 1's series of programmes called 'Star Special' in 1981. Frank played his favourite records and thus began my life-long appreciation of his work.

Being blown away by the performance of 'The Screaming Blue Messiahs' on the Whistle Test in 1984 which contrasted with the pap that was 'Live Aid' which was being broadcast by the BBC concurrently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yc-X2lG_HM

Hearing Mercury Rev's 'Yerself Is Steam' for the first time in 1991.

Spiritualized and the Orb's performances on the Pyramid stage on a hot July day at Glastonbury in 1993. A re-united Velvet Underground also played but sadly were uninspiring.

Neil Young at Finsbury Park during the 1994 tour with Pearl Jam...I managed to sneak in for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDzL_WU3mmE

Television at the ATP event in 2002.

Kraftwerk at the Benicassim festival, Spain in 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC8VHYj1vrU

Nick Cave at Brixton Academy, London in 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYyl78qQ...3EA6F17852

Neu at the Barbican Centre, London, 2010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1wPZZooImI

Patti Smith bringing me to tears at the Hop Farm Festival, July 2, 2011 during this powerful, captivating and mezmerizing performence of 'Pissing In A River':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP1F5pTk...h_response

Faust at the London's 'Field Day' Festival in August 2011???

Last edited by hairymarx1 on 07/18/2011 03:23; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 07/17/2011 17:43
  • Post subject:
lololololololololol

Link

Pete Townshend beating Abbie Hoffman over the head with his guitar.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/17/2011 17:44
  • Post subject:
I will have to think a bit on this topic which is a good one.

But right now I'm picturing you listening to music in 1976 Think

You must be older than I assumed. Not a bad thing, just sayin.

I remember in the 70's watching Don Kirshner's Rock Concert on TV and also The Midnight Special.

Those were my 2 favorite things on TV at that time.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/17/2011 17:45
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
lololololololololol

Link

I didn't know that you were at Woodstock Jackwc Shocked

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 07/17/2011 18:27
  • Post subject:

Link

• Visit poster's website
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 07/17/2011 18:32
  • Post subject:

Link

• Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 07/18/2011 19:05
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Jackwc wrote:
lololololololololol

Link

I didn't know that you were at Woodstock Jackwc :shock:

I own a DeLorean. 8)

• Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 07/19/2011 00:09
  • Post subject:
Okay, yes a Cure video.

Link

Terrible quality but the backstory of this concert is the main point. (from wikipedia)

Werchter Festival in Belgium, July 5, 1981: Everything was late at the festival, and the crowd was mostly there to see artists that were at the time bigger than The Cure, such as Dire Straits and Robert Palmer, of whom the latter happened to be the next on stage after The Cure. After twelve songs, Palmer's roadies said that if The Cure didn't stop playing soon, they would pull the plug. They reached a compromise that they would play one song before they left, opting for "A Forest", which they decided to play a lot longer than what was normal at the time (almost ten minutes), with Robert Smith adding some lyrics improvised on the spot (including the words: "Such a long end" repeated several times). When the band finally finished, bass player Simon Gallup yelled into the microphone: "Fuck Robert Palmer, and fuck rock 'n' roll!" Palmer's roadies responded by throwing The Cure's gear off the back of the stage.

A favourite moment, not necessarily the greatest.
  • Visit poster's website
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/19/2011 19:55
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:
Okay, yes a Cure video.

Link

Terrible quality but the backstory of this concert is the main point. (from wikipedia)

Werchter Festival in Belgium, July 5, 1981: Everything was late at the festival, and the crowd was mostly there to see artists that were at the time bigger than The Cure, such as Dire Straits and Robert Palmer, of whom the latter happened to be the next on stage after The Cure. After twelve songs, Palmer's roadies said that if The Cure didn't stop playing soon, they would pull the plug. They reached a compromise that they would play one song before they left, opting for "A Forest", which they decided to play a lot longer than what was normal at the time (almost ten minutes), with Robert Smith adding some lyrics improvised on the spot (including the words: "Such a long end" repeated several times). When the band finally finished, bass player Simon Gallup yelled into the microphone: "Fuck Robert Palmer, and fuck rock 'n' roll!" Palmer's roadies responded by throwing The Cure's gear off the back of the stage.

Great story...I love these kinds of anecdotal stories.

......I remember seeing Doves at the Benicassim festival in Spain in 2005. The band came on stage at about 3 o'clock in the morning (which for anybody who has been to this festival realises is normal). The lead singer of the band walked to the front of the stage and in a strong northern English accent bellowed: "What time do ya fuckin' call this?"

I remember seeing PIL at St Austell Cornwall Colisseum in about 1982. We waited for ages for the band to come on stage. When they eventually made an appearance, Lydon proceeded to be deliberately provocative throughout a set that lasted about 40 minutes.

Just before he left the stage he sneered:

"Do you ever get the feeling that you've been cheated?"

There was no encore.

I have been to numerous Fall gigs since 1981 which, almost without exception, are legendary - either magnificent or terrible.

Their short residency at a tiny venue in Croydon a few years ago when they were promoting 'Fall Heads Roll', was illustrative of the latter. In order to get on stage, the band had to struggle through the 'mosh pit'. Smith was clearly drunk. The band played for 25 minutes (no encore). They were upstaged by the support band, Gallon Drunk.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 07/19/2011 20:08
  • Post subject:
hairymarx1 wrote:
harkan wrote:
Okay, yes a Cure video.

Link

Great story...I love these kinds of anecdotal stories.

......I remember seeing Doves at the Benicassim festival in Spain in 2005. The band came on stage at about 3 o'clock in the morning (which for anybody who has been to this festival realises is normal). The lead singer of the band walked to the front of the stage and in a strong northern English accent bellowed: "What time do ya fuckin' call this?"

I remember seeing PIL at St Austell Cornwall Colisseum in about 1982. We waited for ages for the band to come on stage. When they eventually made an appearance, Lydon proceeded to be deliberately provocative throughout a set that lasted about 40 minutes.

Just before he left the stage he sneered:

"Do you ever get the feeling that you've been cheated?"

There was no encore.

I have been to numerous Fall gigs since 1981 which, almost without exception, are legendary - either magnificent or terrible.

Their short residency at a tiny venue in Croydon a few years ago when they were promoting 'Fall Heads Roll', was illustrative of the latter. In order to get on stage, the band had to struggle through the 'mosh pit'. Smith was clearly drunk. The band played for 25 minutes (no encore). They were upstaged by the support band, Gallon Drunk.

I'm pretty sure Rotten did that with the Sex Pistols did that first.

(From Wikipedia)
On 14 January 1978, during the tour's final date at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco, a disillusioned Rotten introduced the band's encore saying, "You'll get one number and one number only 'cause I'm a lazy bastard." That one number was a Stooges cover, "No Fun". At the end of the song, Rotten, kneeling on the stage, chanted an unambiguous declaration, "This is no fun. No fun. This is no fun—at all. No fun." As the final cymbal crash died away, Rotten addressed the audience directly—"Ah-ha-ha. Ever get the feeling you've been cheated? Good night"—before throwing down his microphone and walking offstage.

• Visit poster's website