• Post subject:
The Velvets are great but I prefer The Stooges to the Velvets
  • Visit poster's website
souplipton

Canada

• Posted: 07/04/2018 18:14
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Sure, sometimes I just don't get refined sense of humor, as i'm not a native english speaker (I thought I got it wrong with the band albums order)

No worries about the mix-up, it's a joke used more commonly on sites like reddit, I figured it would be known here as well. You 100% had the album order right. It's really my bad for not thinking about whether it would be known by users of this site or whether it would translate well into other languages.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 11/23/2018 21:32
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
using an artist's suicide as part of a critical argument against the singer's music is one of the more disgusting things I've seen here. the suggestion here that the music has such an active role in this suicide is about as tasteful, empathetic, and intelligent as saying that chester bennington would still be here today if he had only sang "I'm one step closer to the edge, and I'm about to get in touch with a mental healthcare professional". Bennington didn't even do that part, that was Mike Shinoda.

Since you're obsessed with being offended here, I'll clear this up for you

I was not saying that the music led to the suicide.

I am saying that it's likely that the suicide sprang from the same place as the music. The same torture that led him to create such powerfully angst ridden music is the torture that led him to kill himself.

So if you praise the music and its genesis, you therefore praise the tortuous core, and thus ultimately the suicide you are so quick to now show pity for.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 11/23/2018 21:47
  • Post subject:
If we're going to keep having this conversation collectively, can we at least confine it to the other thread?
21stCenturySchiz

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2018 01:19
  • Post subject:
U2 is the most overrated band of all-time. They have done nothing revolutionary compared to the greats like The Beatles and The Stones. The only reason they have kept relevancy for so long is that they are a favorite of Rolling Stone Magazine and because Bono has been a controversial figure in Rock despite the fact that most of their music is almost as innocent sounding as contemporary Christian. Which also sound like U2
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/24/2018 02:33
  • Post subject:
21stCenturySchiz wrote:
U2 is the most overrated band of all-time. They have done nothing revolutionary compared to the greats like The Beatles and The Stones. The only reason they have kept relevancy for so long is that they are a favorite of Rolling Stone Magazine and because Bono has been a controversial figure in Rock despite the fact that most of their music is almost as innocent sounding as contemporary Christian. Which also sound like U2
Heh I have one: the Stones are about as revolutionary as U2. Or the other way round, however you like it.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/24/2018 04:08
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Fischman wrote:
The Velvet Underground is musically jejune, artistically vacuous, an lyrically hollow....

... and VU&Nico is the worst of the lot; an utter waste of vinyl.

While I agree with the latter part of (VU&Nico isn't their best album imo... although not a waste of vinyl... I have it and have no intention of getting rid of it).

I suppose VU is what you say they are just like 90% of other top rated music... I don't disagree, but giving it that context it makes it less a powerful argument. Would you really argue that Rush has better lyrics?

I like em cause they are an "edgy" and more artistic than others/not pop group.

Sticking with VU&Nico for discussion, just look at the songs. You're kicking off with things like "Sunday Morning" and "Femme Fatale." These have very pedestrian themes to begin with, and their treatment is no more creative or original than any others addressing these subjects. I don't see them as edgy at all.

Then you've got the most dreadful of all, "Waiting for the Man." Over 4 1/2 minutes of "song" dedicated to the very heady topic of hanging around en route to meeting your drug connection? That's not "edgy," it's just pathetic.

I guess "Venus in Furs" is "edgy," and while I'm no prude, I don't find sadomasochism as compelling a topic as, say, the impact of organized religion on human development, or the battle between heart and mind, or the role of luck vs drive in success, etc. These are all hugely meaningful topics which, by the way, don't necessarily lend themselves to easy lyricism the way more pedestrian topics do; thus is the true genius of Peart, every bit as much as his positively brilliant percussion.

I rarely visit this thread, but while revisiting VU and Nico I just so happened to click on it and led my way back through this little argument...

Sorry Fischman, no offense but... d'oh!

As possibly the most profound Rock album of all time (and one of the most emotionally overwhelming), it's not surprising to read such an interpretation though. Its expressive depths are almost impossible to take all the way in on any single listen, no matter one's experience. Despite its accolades, it seems to be but a relatively small percentage of listeners that know "how" to listen to it and exactly "what" they're listening to, and for most (I suspect) this took many listens to fully come to terms with. I have a hunch that many high ratings for VU and Nico are at least partially "out of respect", but who knows... Sort of similar to how lots of film viewers (on average) seem to feel about Citizen Kane.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/24/2018 04:42
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Then you've got the most dreadful of all, "Waiting for the Man." Over 4 1/2 minutes of "song" dedicated to the very heady topic of hanging around en route to meeting your drug connection? That's not "edgy," it's just pathetic.

Well how long do you consider an adequate amount of time to wait for a dealer before they don't show? Rolling Eyes

They're always late.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2018 04:47
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Fischman wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Fischman wrote:
The Velvet Underground is musically jejune, artistically vacuous, an lyrically hollow....

... and VU&Nico is the worst of the lot; an utter waste of vinyl.

While I agree with the latter part of (VU&Nico isn't their best album imo... although not a waste of vinyl... I have it and have no intention of getting rid of it).

I suppose VU is what you say they are just like 90% of other top rated music... I don't disagree, but giving it that context it makes it less a powerful argument. Would you really argue that Rush has better lyrics?

I like em cause they are an "edgy" and more artistic than others/not pop group.

Sticking with VU&Nico for discussion, just look at the songs. You're kicking off with things like "Sunday Morning" and "Femme Fatale." These have very pedestrian themes to begin with, and their treatment is no more creative or original than any others addressing these subjects. I don't see them as edgy at all.

I guess "Venus in Furs" is "edgy," and while I'm no prude, I don't find sadomasochism as compelling a topic as, say, the impact of organized religion on human development, or the battle between heart and mind, or the role of luck vs drive in success, etc. These are all hugely meaningful topics which, by the way, don't necessarily lend themselves to easy lyricism the way more pedestrian topics do; thus is the true genius of Peart, every bit as much as his positively brilliant percussion.

I rarely visit this thread, but while revisiting VU and Nico I just so happened to click on it and led my way back through this little argument...

Sorry Fischman, no offense but... d'oh!

As possibly the most profound Rock album of all time (and one of the most emotionally overwhelming), it's not surprising to read such an interpretation though. Its expressive depths are almost impossible to take all the way in on any single listen, no matter one's experience. Despite its accolades, it seems to be but a relatively small percentage of listeners that know "how" to listen to it and exactly "what" they're listening to, and for most (I suspect) this took many listens to fully come to terms with. I have a hunch that many high ratings for VU and Nico are at least partially "out of respect", but who knows... Sort of similar to how lots of film viewers (on average) seem to feel about Citizen Kane.

I did give it multiple listens. I've tried again multiple times, especially after reading subsequent reviews or individual interpretations on this sight which might add insight.

Theres just no way to make hanging around waiting for your drug dealer profound. Theres no way to make a song comprised entirely of two chords musically profound (unless your name is Miles Davis, but these guys are no Miles). Ditto most of the rest of the album. It may feel profound to someone predisposed to or fascinated by such behavior, but that dont make it so. Okay, so they managed to speak to an audience not previously addressed, or speak in a new way, so I can see some points for innovation by the standard of the day, but new doesnt necessarily mean good in any objective sense.
  • Visit poster's website