Controversial Music Opinions On BEA!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 403, 404, 405, 406, 407  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 04/04/2021 18:00
  • Post subject:
Punk Revolution Now and Piero Scaruffi have the best top-albums list!

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 06/06/2021 11:30
  • Post subject:
Seeing the remarks on my last controversial opinion, I start to understand why the controversial opinions here usually don't go much further than "in my very personal opinion I think Arcade Fire is slightly worse than most people in my echo chamber think, but they are still gods of course and I want to suck their dicks".
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 06/06/2021 11:52
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
Ah yes. Let’s avoid snobbery by calling US and UK indie music “the worst”.

Erm... yes...? I kinda see how listening to non-UK/US music might be seen as snobby, but it's a good cause in my opinion to encourage people to look beyond America and the UK. You should also notice that the person you're talking to is not from the US, and that we don't have such a tunnel vision towards the US or everything that is english-spoken (not as intense as Americans though), and we don't usually label listening to music from other countries as "snobbish", because it's not so strange for us to have German, French, etc. hits in the charts. But UK and US indie music is hella snobbish and people who listen to it find themselves very intellectual for doing so, while indie music from other countries (at least the artists that I named) make much more light-hearted music, so how exactly is calling US and UK indie music the worst snobbish?

craola wrote:
All sarcasm aside, I’m glad you found something that you enjoy. Listened to a few singles and will probably give the first two a better listen soon.

That third one really is the worst though Razz

Why is it the worst? Is it too light-hearted and fun for you? Just baffling to read this comment, it's wild to see how much hypocrisy someone can fit in one comment.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of them and don't think they're very good or so, but it's - well - light-hearted and fun musically, and certainly much more bearable than the pseudo-intellectualism of Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse, Radiohead and Animal Collective. (looking forward to the responds on this one)

Edit: almost forgot to stoop to your levels. I of course meant: Arqueef Fire, Modest Mouse (already a stupid name), Zero (Radio)Head and errrm.... Furry Collective (that one was lazy, I admit).

Last edited by Boltzmann on 06/06/2021 13:45; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 06/06/2021 12:19
  • Post subject:
Anyway, I came here in the first place to write this controversial opinion I came up with:

Black Eyed Peas' albums in their electro era (2008-2011) contained tracks that can be seen as proto-hyperpop songs. I'm talking about "Alive", "XOXOXO", "Love You Long Time", and "Whenever". It has exactly the same artificial feel to it, and extremely sincere lyrics. The hyperpop of PC Music and such however often contains more dubstep and hardcore influences with occasional Aphex Twin-ish digressions. You could also say most of '10s hyperpop is highly ironic while the Peas were probably serious, but I think the word "ironic" is not meant to refer to enjoyment of music or art in general. If you enjoy something ironically you don't really enjoy it. The phrase "ironically enjoying smth" becomes somewhat of an oxymoron. You're enjoying it or you aren't. For statements that is no problem; if you say something ironically, you don't actually mean that thing you said. You can say something ironically and there is no inherent paradox there, you simply don't mean it and say it with another goal (mocking someone for instance). Anyway, you could probably have a long philosophical debate on this. All I'm saying is that musically the artists of PC Music are serious, they probably won't tell you they dislike their own music. The veil of irony is simply part of the aesthetic which they pursue very unironically. And you can say that the Black Eyed Peas don't have that aspect to their music.

Last edited by Boltzmann on 06/06/2021 13:48; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian

Denmark

• Posted: 06/06/2021 13:18
  • Post subject:
Boltzmann wrote:

Black Eyed Peas' albums in their electro era (2008-2011) contained tracks that can be seen as proto-hyperpop songs.

Hell yes. Their album The END is incredibly influential, both on musical and cultural aspects, and some people are afraid of denying it.

My music:
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 06/06/2021 13:43
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian wrote:
Hell yes. Their album The END is incredibly influential, both on musical and cultural aspects, and some people are afraid of denying it.

Yeah, when I hear Travis Scott's intense auto tuning, I think there must be some The E.N.D in this. But it's of course much more logical to point at Kanye West or Kid Cudi.

But The E.N.D surely was a great culmination of EDM, but EDM is generally not taken very seriously despite how huge it was for a while. I'm glad Daft Punk got the recognition they deserved though.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian

Denmark

• Posted: 06/06/2021 13:49
  • Post subject:
Boltzmann wrote:
Yeah, when I hear Travis Scott's intense auto tuning, I think there must be some The E.N.D in this. But it's of course much more logical to point at Kanye West or Kid Cudi.

But The E.N.D surely was a great culmination of EDM, but EDM is generally not taken very seriously despite how huge it was for a while. I'm glad Daft Punk got the recognition they deserved though.

Agree.

The E.N.D., Man On The Moon I, Tha Carter III and 808s & Heartbreak are definitely the most influential albums for the 2010s, at least the truest forms of blueprints. And of those 4, one of them does deserve more recognition for its significance. I wonder which Laughing

My music:
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2021 18:55
  • Post subject:
Boltzmann wrote:
Seeing the remarks on my last controversial opinion, I start to understand why the controversial opinions here usually don't go much further than "in my very personal opinion I think Arcade Fire is slightly worse than most people in my echo chamber think, but they are still gods of course and I want to suck their dicks".

If this is about my remark, I just thought it was a stupid way of getting people to listen to something. "Hey you know that thing you guys like? Well I think it's garbage! You should listen to what I like, which is this", but why would I expect to feel the same way when we already disagree? Seems like it'd be a waste of time to even investigate these bands.

But you could easily say "if western listeners could get over their regional biases they would see that [bands you listed] are just as good, if not better, than [bands who are actually similar]"
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 06/08/2021 12:32
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
If this is about my remark, I just thought it was a stupid way of getting people to listen to something. "Hey you know that thing you guys like? Well I think it's garbage! You should listen to what I like, which is this", but why would I expect to feel the same way when we already disagree? Seems like it'd be a waste of time to even investigate these bands.

But you could easily say "if western listeners could get over their regional biases they would see that [bands you listed] are just as good, if not better, than [bands who are actually similar]"

Okay, next time I'll bring it less controversially. What was I thinking saying things in a manner that other people might find offensive on a thread that's called "controversial music opinions". Really stupid of me.

Maybe it isn't for you then. Maybe it's for other people who don't find US and UK indie music very great like me. Maybe I don't care what the people who read my comment do with the information I communicate with them, since I'm not writing a paper or a book or an article or even a blog, I'm writing a comment on an obscure forum, and maybe ten people will read it if I'm lucky.

Edit: just realized that there is an unspoken assumption in your comment that the person I am directing my comment to is someone who likes UK and US indie music. Since I don't direct my comment to anyone or at most at people who are into music in somewhat a serious manner, it seems like you think that everyone (who is seriously into music) likes UK and US indie music. You see now what I mean with echo chamber? You seem to be unable to grasp the notion that someone who listens to full albums and likes to explore multiple genres doesn't think UK and US indie music is great.

Last edited by Boltzmann on 06/08/2021 12:51; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 06/08/2021 12:43
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian wrote:

Agree.

The E.N.D., Man On The Moon I, Tha Carter III and 808s & Heartbreak are definitely the most influential albums for the 2010s, at least the truest forms of blueprints. And of those 4, one of them does deserve more recognition for its significance. I wonder which Laughing

A Milli certainly changed history. Trap is still addicted to deep 808 bass triplets. But I've grown to like the first two Carters more (the last two are also great btw). But yeah, I think 2008/09 was really a turning point in the '00s.
  • Visit poster's website