View previous topic :: View next topic
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2018 03:09
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
travelful wrote:
I've been trying to fully dissect MF DOOM's discography, which is probably long overdue. I've heard Operation Doomsday, Take Me To Your Leader, Vaudeville Villain, and Madvillainy so far. I suppose its pretty controversial that as of right now purely based on enjoyment I prefer his King Geedorah effort more than his Viktor Vaugn or Madvillain effort. It's my favorite of the four I've heard as of now.

This could definitely change though. I've only been listening to him for like 2 weeks now.

It's just good to see another enjoying DOOM.

Oh yeah, I've enjoyed every album so far.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/14/2018 03:21
  • Post subject:
indieshins wrote:
I find it hard to enjoy truly innovative music sometimes, when I can even find it in the first place. But it's what I want to learn to appreciate because a lot of the stuff you're talking about here, bringing experimental stuff into a sort of "mainstream," might be good or even great but can feel like it's missing something. I don't know, maybe I'm just a little pretentious, but I want to be able to "get" Trout Mask Replica and such.

Disliking Trout Mask Replica makes you more controversial in todays music academic climate. To be fair though, I don't think Trout Mask is strange, just really really boring.
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 04/14/2018 08:04
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
no see my disappointment is in this goldilocks bullshit where it has to be just right, aka not deviate too radically from popular song forms, a limitation in scope that goes against the spirit of innovation, an interest in new clothes on old bodies

If I understand your comment, you’re saying that making old music with new instruments is boring af. And I agree with that. The first people who used synths made shit music, because they just used them to replace violins or so. But in the end, it is what made synthpop, hip hop, trip hop, house, techno and the whole rave culture possible.

I feel like you assume I fall for a certain fallacy just because it exists among people that claim to have the same idea as me. It sounds like a fallacy fallacy, i.e. if someone gives shitty arguments for a theory, that doesn’t mean the theory is automatically false.
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 04/14/2018 08:06
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
no see my disappointment is in this goldilocks bullshit where it has to be just right, aka not deviate too radically from popular song forms, a limitation in scope that goes against the spirit of innovation, an interest in new clothes on old bodies

If I understand your comment, you’re saying that making old music with new instruments is boring af. And I agree with that. The first people who used synths made shit music, because they just used them to replace violins or so. But in the end, it is what made synthpop, hip hop, trip hop, house, techno and the whole rave culture possible.

I feel like you assume I fall for a certain fallacy just because it exists among people that claim to have the same idea as me. It sounds like a fallacy fallacy, i.e. if someone gives shitty arguments for a theory, that doesn’t mean the theory is automatically false.
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 04/14/2018 08:10
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
@Antoispiano

No, I said Vivaldi was called a simpleton for introducing major and minor scales rather than dodecaphony (I think that's what the lame motet stuff is called). Lots of Bach is literally cut and paste Vivaldi that professional morons attribute to Bach...

Making wild claims without any grounds is not controversial, just dumb.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/14/2018 08:36
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
Disliking Trout Mask Replica makes you more controversial in todays music academic climate. To be fair though, I don't think Trout Mask is strange, just really really boring.

Agree on trout mask replica. Has never grabbed me. Just goes nowhere and as said, I also find it a bore.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2018 09:13
  • Post subject:
antaiospiano wrote:
The first people who used synths made shit music, because they just used them to replace violins or so.

NO THIS IS INCREDIBLY WRONG here's something from 58 (and the Netherlands just for fun)

Link

I think this should make where I'm coming from a bit more clear in general.

edit: wait were you referring to like the trautonium or something because I'm not sure how people were playing that at first but Oskar Sala pushed it into some wild territory. I mean yeah I guess that's fair for like the theremin and stuff but it didn't take long for people to really get exploring.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2018 10:42
  • Post subject:
I love Trout Mask Replica, but there was a time i hated it. it does take multiple listenings for many to "get it". some never do and that is ok. art doesn't need to appeal to everyone to be legitimate. I personally don't like the sex pistols, the smiths, or most radiohead which i know are rather beloved by many on here. To me some controversial things on BEa are how high many Radiohead albums are, how hi DSOTM is and how low much of the 90's most influential hip hop is compared to Kendrick who is great but overrated by a large bit on this site.
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/14/2018 11:43
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:
I love Trout Mask Replica, but there was a time i hated it. it does take multiple listenings for many to "get it". some never do and that is ok. art doesn't need to appeal to everyone to be legitimate. I personally don't like the sex pistols, the smiths, or most radiohead which i know are rather beloved by many on here. To me some controversial things on BEa are how high many Radiohead albums are, how hi DSOTM is and how low much of the 90's most influential hip hop is compared to Kendrick who is great but overrated by a large bit on this site.

If you are a big hip hop fan I'd keep trying with kendrick, just like you did with trout mask. I wouldn't really even compare him directly to 90s hip hop. I'm glad I kept going back to kendrick, took me a while to get it. Same with lots of rap now, it's in a totally different place to 90s rap.
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 04/14/2018 11:48
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
NO THIS IS INCREDIBLY WRONG here's something from 58 (and the Netherlands just for fun)

Link

I think this should make where I'm coming from a bit more clear in general.

edit: wait were you referring to like the trautonium or something because I'm not sure how people were playing that at first but Oskar Sala pushed it into some wild territory. I mean yeah I guess that's fair for like the theremin and stuff but it didn't take long for people to really get exploring.

That’s some nice music, I can definitely hear some Aphex Twin in it, but the question is: how much different is it in style from other musique concrète? But yeah, I was mainly referring to the theremin stuff.

But this makes your point actually less clear to me, ‘cause it sounds like you’re tackling your own point. Tell me, what is it that makes you feel uncomfortable when someone talks about innovation?
  • Visit poster's website