Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 355, 356, 357 ... 405, 406, 407  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ForegroundNoise
for worn-out boys

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/15/2019 08:38
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Airbag, Paranoid Android, Subterranean Homesick Alien, Karma Police are still fantastic, but I think I'd prefer even The Bends over this album.

Top pick tracks for OK Computer btw, however for a really controversial opinion how about this ...

I think The Bends is an average-to-bad album. For me, it ranks as comfortably their second worst, with Pablo Honey still being their weakest effort.

A lot of this comes down to it being massively overrated in my view, since it gets so much acclaim being on numerous best of the 90s and all time lists (we've collectively given it a rating of 88!! - more than Remain In Light and Unknown Pleasures!!) despite it aging the worst of all of their releases. All the songs have the same verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure, as well as the production being super overblown. Thom's lyrics are still great though I find so much of it to be just a typical 90s alt-rock album with nothing interesting to say, and it's especially boring when compared to some of their later releases that are still ostensibly alt-rock (HTTT, In Rainbows, A Moon Shaped Pool) but have so much more personality.

I know this is gonna get me in a load of hot water and I don't expect to convince anyone of my opinion, but hey if I can't say it in this thread then where else!!

Bonus hot take: After the big three (you know the ones I mean) Hail To The Thief is their fourth best album.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 01/15/2019 18:00
  • Post subject:
Hm that's an interesting opinion. What you feel about Ok Comp I feel about The Bends. I used to absolutely adore it, but now it seems there is a decent amount of filler on that one and the album feels more like a collection of songs rather and something more cohesive.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
LebowskiRams
LebowskiRams

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2019 20:55
  • Post subject:
The Suburbs isn't the best album of the decade, I wouldn't even say it's top 20. It is a fine record, but it has been topped many times since its release.

With that being said:

Reflektor >>> The Suburbs.
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2019 20:58
  • Post subject:
Even though I like Radiohead, thinking that they have 7 (seven!) albums in the top 200 all time is silly.

Oh yeah: In Rainbows, Hail To The Thief, and the King of Limbs are all bad albums. (Not just "bad Radiohead albums" but properly bad albums.)

Lastly, it's a crime that Joanna Newsom only has a single top-250 album. She should have at least 2, and 4 top-500 ones.
  • Visit poster's website
MickLord

Switzerland

• Posted: 01/15/2019 21:54
  • Post subject:
1° I think double albums aren't so great. They are too long with a lots of filler. The White Album, Exile on Main St, Tommy, The Wall, Blonde on Blonde, Physical Graffiti, London Calling would be true masterpieces if they were simple LPs.

2° Their Satanic Majesties Request and Black & Blue by the Stones are great albums. Be Here Now by Oasis too.

3° I don't understand how can Arcade Fire be in the Best Ever Artists chart?

4° Even if I love their works - I really mean it - Keith Richards, Lemmy, David Bowie are just funny posers.

5° Is not Queen a little overestimated? They were just a nice and gifted POP band like ABBA, ELO or 10CC.

6° Did anyone see The Stone Roses in live? Is Ian Brown (as a singer) as bad as they say?
  • Visit poster's website
LebowskiRams
LebowskiRams

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2019 22:05
  • Post subject:
carpents wrote:
Even though I like Radiohead, thinking that they have 7 (seven!) albums in the top 200 all time is silly.

Oh yeah: In Rainbows, Hail To The Thief, and the King of Limbs are all bad albums. (Not just "bad Radiohead albums" but properly bad albums.)

Lastly, it's a crime that Joanna Newsom only has a single top-250 album. She should have at least 2, and 4 top-500 ones.

I can understand TKOL and HTTT, but I'm curious in learning why you think In Rainbows is a bad album
  • Visit poster's website
ForegroundNoise
for worn-out boys

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/16/2019 08:44
  • Post subject:
LebowskiRams wrote:
The Suburbs isn't the best album of the decade, I wouldn't even say it's top 20. It is a fine record, but it has been topped many times since its release.

With that being said:

Reflektor >>> The Suburbs.

Yes yes yes!!! so glad someone else holds this opinion! Whilst The Suburbs does have some notable highlights it pales in comparison to Reflektor, where I think they made an incredible fusion of Haitian rhythms, new wave and their classic indie rock sound. When Reflektor came out so many AF fans trashed it saying that they should 'go back to their old stuff' and criticised the album for sounding different. I'm hoping since the release of Everything Now (which is pretty much a directionless, indecisive lazy rendition of all the best parts of its predecessor) people will appreciate the strength in Reflektor's songwriting.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 01/16/2019 16:09
  • Post subject:
this entire website should take the l
carpents

United States

• Posted: 01/17/2019 01:09
  • Post subject:
LebowskiRams wrote:
I can understand TKOL and HTTT, but I'm curious in learning why you think In Rainbows is a bad album

I just happened to read the top review at RYM for this, which sums up my opinion completely on In Rainbows: "There are 3 great tracks on here - "All I Need", "Reckoner" and "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" The rest is middling and overrated."

I have a hard time getting through the first four tracks. They're not good.
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/17/2019 01:20
  • Post subject:
MickLord wrote:

2° Their Satanic Majesties Request and Black & Blue by the Stones are great albums. Be Here Now by Oasis too.

5° Is not Queen a little overestimated? They were just a nice and gifted POP band like ABBA, ELO or 10CC.

6° Did anyone see The Stone Roses in live? Is Ian Brown (as a singer) as bad as they say?

Finally, some appreciation for Be Here Now - I have always thought that if this had been the Gallagher's debut it would now be hailed a classic.

Queen great singles/live band, other than that bang average I'd say.

Saw Stone Roses live, Brown poor signing, he never could sing though right? The atmosphere made it a great night though.

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website