The Vibrators may have been the best punk band from the class of '77! Shocked
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2019 13:08
  • Post subject:
Jameth wrote:
^^^Have you ever listened to a live version of "Moby Dick?

I haven't, but I just searched them and saw they're 15 minutes long. A sampling of one of them makes me think it's probably more interesting than the recorded version but I also don't think I could sit through 15 minutes of it.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/08/2019 13:46
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
boredom is an attribute of the listener. the music isn't boring, you are bored. which can be a fair response. but it never really says anything about the music itself.

Quote:
It's boring.

(I get where you're coming from, but I don't think it makes my point any less valid... just a bit lazy)
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2019 19:43
  • Post subject:
I think it's valid as an experience, sure, you really did get bored. It's not valid as a criticism to shout out into the void, though. People reading would need to know you and know what you're bored by to make sense of it.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2019 20:07
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:

I could think the same thing somedays. Other days it may be The Stranglers or The Jam though!
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2019 21:55
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
I think it's valid as an experience, sure, you really did get bored. It's not valid as a criticism to shout out into the void, though. People reading would need to know you and know what you're bored by to make sense of it.

Think music can be boring if enough people think it's boring, especially critics and other tastemakers, and a consensus forms that it's boring. There's still a subjective element, just as there is with whether albums are good or bad, but there are a lot of albums that are almost universally considered bad. That said, I can't think of an album that's almost universally considered boring.
  • Visit poster's website
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/09/2019 11:11
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:

I'd go for The Clash myself but that's not exactly controversial enough for this thread.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2019 20:08
  • Post subject:
My mom used to say: "boredom is the product of a lazy mind".

This can get real philosophical real quick (whatever that means). In literature it's kind of like a reader response theory vs formalism (that's a stretch, but go with it).

Or simplified it's a bit of a chicken and the egg issue - is the person boring or is the "text" boring. I think there is such a thing for text to be dry/boring vs witty/intriguing, and so why can't music itself be so as well. The concept of boring is subjective anyway, so define that as well. Often people say they are bored with something when they don't understand it or it doesn't interest them. Or it's how the concept is delivered that is boring. The concept itself is not boring. For me when I say something is boring, I usually mean how it is delivered is boring/dry - and could have been done in a way that is more true to "self", and therefore does what art should do - reflect humanity/self in an "artistic" way. I mean even something as "boring" as learning about Hildegard von Bingen... if you watch the film, which was tastefully done, you get a more artistic/intriguing way of learning about her than a "boring"/dry professor or a list of facts with no intriguing interpretation/analysis. In that example, the list of facts can be "boring" without any "reader response" or interpretation, whereas the film is quite intriguing.

Anyway, here's some fun bits (link below) about reader response theory if you are interested (also "text" is a "fancy" term for artwork... no matter the medium... you can change those words to be music and listener response theory and it all work the same).

https://quizlet.com/20923762/reader-res...ash-cards/
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2019 21:29
  • Post subject:
thinking that boredom is something that can exist within the work and that this would get decided by consensus is why music criticism is in the position it is right now, why you have "stans" on twitter reducing themselves to metadata in an attempt to influence an imagined aggregate so that their side can win. it's why we have so much of this

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2019 21:36
  • Post subject:
Maybe I'm missing something (other than I have no idea what a "stan" is), but are you saying it's impossible for works of art to be dry or boring? Only the interpretation thereof?

EDIT: nm - I always had a feeling it had to do with the Emiminimumm song, but felt like it had a meaning to it I wasn't getting other than a fanboy/superfan, etc.
  • Visit poster's website