Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 377, 378, 379 ... 405, 406, 407  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2019 21:43
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something (other than I have no idea what a "stan" is), but are you saying it's impossible for works of art to be dry or boring? Only the interpretation thereof?

Stan comes from the Eminem song and means an intense/obsessive fan. Its meaning has changed over the years to take on a less creepy connotation than in the song.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2019 21:44
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Stan comes from the Eminem song and means an intense/obsessive fan. Its meaning has changed over the years to take on a less creepy connotation than in the song.

thanks for confirming! in context it felt like it had a different connotation and I was missing something.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2019 21:48
  • Post subject:
Also that billy madison thing was awesome - I hate it when I try and have a discussion with someone on the merits of something - why they like something and it's just a "stan" answer if you will... the why or how is half the magic to me. Why is something boring. Why is it intriguing. Or how... how is it delivered in an intriguing or boring manner. Different points of view/interpretations are exciting to me.

There's a chance in the future I'll just quote that next time someone does that to me. "It's just good, shut up doood."
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2019 21:58
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
are you saying it's impossible for works of art to be dry or boring? Only the interpretation thereof?

Yes. There are things in a work that can lead someone to feel it is dry or boring, and these things are worth identifying and critiquing. Simply stating that the work possesses your feelings does neither.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2019 22:04
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
Yes. There are things in a work that can lead someone to feel it is dry or boring, and these things are worth identifying and critiquing. Simply stating that the work possesses your feelings does neither.

Got it. Sounds like we are on the same page. You also don't like it when someone just says something is boring without context/why they interpret it that way. And it really is a statement that you probably believe more in the reader response theory than art just exists in a formalist vacuum (no external interpretation in any other way than the structure of the text itself). I suppose most people probably do it out of laziness or possible ignorance on to the interpretation of why it's boring to them (including me).

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 09/09/2019 22:49; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/09/2019 22:46
  • Post subject:
***Tool, has lead me to boredom, although I will not stoop to labelling their music 'boring', for 'boring' does not exist—

Unfortunately, unlike the latest Tool album, which does.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2019 23:08
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
***Tool, has lead me to boredom, although I will not stoop to labelling their music 'boring', for 'boring' does not exist—

Unfortunately, unlike the latest Tool album, which does.

Laughing

I think all Tap is saying is humans put labels on things. The thing in of itself doesn't have intrinsic meaning until a human labels it as such. It's kind of a linguistic thing/layers of hundreds of years of linguistic philosophy.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2019 23:27
  • Post subject:
I just think that this whole thing is not effective for communication about the music. It's just self-expression for the purpose of aligning with one side of a binary.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2019 00:11
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
I just think that this whole thing is not effective for communication about the music. It's just self-expression for the purpose of aligning with one side of a binary.

Any suggestions on how to break the pattern?
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2019 03:37
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Any suggestions on how to break the pattern?

I think we need to break the idea that when we experience positive or negative reactions to music, it's because we are experiencing the truth of the music. Like for me with that new Tool, that rock tabla percussion on the first track is really fantastic about letting you this will be an experience of hollow profundity in the same way as Insterstellar's nonsense about love. Though at least in that movie you had some cool visuals, the album cover for this one looks like they rebooted MTV's AMP and only went halfway with upgrading the equipment while at the same time issuing a "No Fun Allowed" edict. Does that rock tabla shit continue for the rest of the album? Honestly if that shit keeps going what could anyone do that's worse to a fan that what the album is already doing? But hey maybe someone else is into that and could say more about it besides that it demonstrates talent, and there could actually be a discussion about the music. I'll never get to a different way of feeling about the music but I could at least come to a place of understanding and respect for a different position.
  • Visit poster's website