Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 378, 379, 380 ... 405, 406, 407  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2019 03:58
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
I think we need to break the idea that when we experience positive or negative reactions to music, it's because we are experiencing the truth of the music.

A-to-the-men. It's a hard lesson to learn, but it's true. I think there's room, of course, for a personal singular experience. But as that site I quoted earlier states:
Quote:
We never read 1 text same way in 2 different occasions because knowledge we acquired changes our mood and purpose for reading.
Same goes for listening - it's a living/breathing experience and Pluralism allows for all experiences to be "true"... even the "right" and "wrong" ones.

Further important part of understanding the theory:
Quote:
New Critics claim: Reader Responses confuses what the text is with what the text does.
Reader Response claim: What a text is cannot be separated from what it does
1. The role of the reader can't be omitted from our understanding of literature.
2. Readers don't passively consume the meaning presented to them by an objective literary text; rather, they actively make the meaning they find in literature--it's more subjective.

Anyway, this reminds me of things I like to talk about, so sorry if I keep "boring people" Laughing with this reader response stuff... I find it fascinating and more or less is the theory within which we are discussing. I love literary theory as I don't think any of them are "wrong" and all have merits allowing us to see more of the different lenses we can view the world with. Another lens, which is a stretch, that we could look at this binary world you speak of, might have something to do with Jung/archetypes and the collective unconscious... again it's a stretch, but I wonder if, in all honesty, it doesn't play but a small role in why there are binary collective decisions. That doesn't mean they are "correct"... rather that they exist and perhaps a very lose/10% "correct" reason why. It's not science, but it'd be interesting to know how many people have a similar emotional/mental connection with "top albums" or art or whatever... just another lens. From the collective unconscious wikipedia page:
Quote:
He argued that the collective unconscious had profound influence on the lives of individuals, who lived out its symbols and clothed them in meaning through their experiences.
I'm curious how much of that plays into our lives in such a "modern" world where myth just isn't as valued by the average person. Are the loose archetypes still there and still playing a role in the art we relate to? Where does the concept of boring fit in an unconscious collective?
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2019 04:47
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Anyway, this reminds me of things I like to talk about, so sorry if I keep "boring people"

You want to start talking about Cleanth Brooks and "New Criticism"?

We could really get this literary party started. Cool
  • Visit poster's website
LebowskiRams
LebowskiRams

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2019 18:28
  • Post subject:
Imma say it again, months later: Hurley is a great album It's a good 8.5/10
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2019 02:56
  • Post subject:
LebowskiRams wrote:

At least someone likes it Smile.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2019 02:58
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, this reminds me of things I like to talk about, so sorry if I keep "boring people"

You want to start talking about Cleanth Brooks and "New Criticism"?

We could really get this literary party started. Cool

Take it away, what say ye? How do you think the new criticism lens would take the boring conversation?
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2019 03:41
  • Post subject:
Don't have time to go on a diatribe right now, but New Criticism concerns itself with only judging something based on what is contained within. There is no putting it into historical or artistic context. The work exists in a vaccuum, essentially, where the only thing that matters is what it says. And nothing else. It's extremely close-minded, but it has it's advantages in that I think it lends itself a bit more to objectivity in some circumstances.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2019 04:28
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Don't have time to go on a diatribe right now, but New Criticism concerns itself with only judging something based on what is contained within. There is no putting it into historical or artistic context. The work exists in a vaccuum, essentially, where the only thing that matters is what it says. And nothing else. It's extremely close-minded, but it has it's advantages in that I think it lends itself a bit more to objectivity in some circumstances.

How is that different than formalism? It's been a few years, but I always thought formalism was that school - the text and nothing but the text! hehe. Maybe I'm remembering wrong... maybe they are similar thoughts and formalism is a school within New Criticism. But yeah, it does indeed have more objectivity than most schools of critique. (Later gon dun googleid it and I guess it's what I thought - schools within schools of thought.

I suppose you could classify "boring" words or "boring" chord structures. Leaving the world of boredom - it's more like why do certain things evoke a certain emotion... I realize that's technically not formalism, but I think looking at the text from what the text is. The classic example of a formalist interpretation I can remember is Goethe's Erlkönig where the meter sound like a horse trotting. I thought that was rather clever and something I'd never get unless it was pointed out to me (a horse is key to that poem).
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/14/2019 10:27
  • Post subject:
LebowskiRams wrote:

Perhaps the worst album cover and title of all time though! But yeah, I really enjoy the album. People get really fussy about laterday Weezer for some reason, but Rivers keeps banging out great tunes if you ask me.

My theory is that divided perspectives on the band depend if you are more of a power pop or emo fan. I'm much more in the power pop camp and can get along with everything they've put out bar Raditude. Bring on Van Weezer Cool
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 09/14/2019 21:43
  • Post subject:
raadfactoryxny wrote:
Definitely Maybe is pretty bad, only a couple of songs are worth it

Changed my mind. It's a good album, and in fact better than Morning Glory - which I'm starting to be annoyed by. Confused

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 09/14/2019 21:49
  • Post subject:
raadfactoryxny wrote:
Changed my mind. It's a good album, and in fact better than Morning Glory - which I'm starting to be annoyed by. Confused
It's clearly their best, I agree. Morning Glory has a few fillers too

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website