Controversial Music Opinions On BEA!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 385, 386, 387 ... 405, 406, 407  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 10/29/2019 17:51
  • Post subject:
I wasn't really including People in my argument about how the band will age, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. The most recent single is getting a lot of comparisons to future garage and Burial, and the melody sounds like a rewrite of TOOTIME. It seems like the new album will be kind of scattershot and that People might be the only song of its type. If they play around with a lot of older sounds the narrative would probably shift to them mining nostalgia or something. Which admittedly is also not likely to age well, but it fits my argument that they'd act as a kind of time capsule for the youth of their era considering how obsessed a lot of people are with nostalgia these days.

The point I tried to make earlier that I forgot to add is that there's something to be said about capturing a certain period of time and what our mindset was like. MCR fit into the mall emo scene but their music also resonated with people and changed a lot of lives. The 1975 are similar in that they're focusing on current social issues in their music while also fitting into a millennial / Gen Z aesthetic that I can't really describe. Even if the music sounds like a pastiche years from now I don't think it makes the critical evaluation that progressive, positive music that a lot of people relate to has a lot of worth look bad.
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 11/06/2019 18:28
  • Post subject:
Justin Timberlake is potentially the best pop/R&B-star of the 2000s.
JT's Man of The Woods is actually decent, with great songs on it. Though Still terrible by his album standards.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kamens

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2019 08:00
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
I have to say I'm also on the anti-1975 bandwagon. They're going to be one of those bands where the critical adoration ages especially poorly.

Strange, I think the exact opposite. There is an almost ironic subtlety about the band that has given them an edge since day 1 that critics are just now picking up on. Almost like they know they're melodramatic but don't give a shit about it but also play into the character of being melodramatic from a perspective that isn't necessarily self aware but isn't necessarily not self aware either. They're as bombastic and witty as Oasis, just constantly about four years ahead of their time.

The new Best Coast single is the sign of a brand new band that is invigorated in a way we haven't seen before from them. For The First Time is breezy and summery and crisp and almost like a Toto classic. I know their image has aged terribly and no one gives a shit about them anymore but their new single is legitimately amazing and will inevitably and criminally be underappreciated.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 12/10/2019 17:22
  • Post subject:
1967-1971 Pink Floyd > 1973-1979 Pink Floyd

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 12/10/2019 20:24
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian wrote:
1967-1971 Pink Floyd > 1973-1979 Pink Floyd

1967 + 1979 Pink Floyd > 1968-1977 Pink Floyd
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 01/04/2020 15:16
  • Post subject:
Here is an R.E.M. related one. I started listening to them with Automatic For The People which I loved right away. As I found out more about the band, naturally I learned about the IRS phase and how for many people it was the band's artistic peak. So I turned to Murmur and after dozens of listens, while very decent and fun, it was nowhere near AFTP so I thought maybe the IRS years aren't really up to my taste.
But then recently I first heard Reckoning which I absolutely loved, jangly guitars, vocal harmonies, the pure fun and danceability of it, everything clicked. I returned to Murmur but again it left me unimpressed, sure it's a consitent record but the highs on Reckoing are so much better (Harborcoat being one of my fave R.E.M. tunes now) and I enjoy it much more. So it's not that I don't like IRS years, it's just that I don't get Murmur and don't consider it to be that good.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/04/2020 17:05
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
Here is an R.E.M. related one. I started listening to them with Automatic For The People which I loved right away. As I found out more about the band, naturally I learned about the IRS phase and how for many people it was the band's artistic peak. So I turned to Murmur and after dozens of listens, while very decent and fun, it was nowhere near AFTP so I thought maybe the IRS years aren't really up to my taste.
But then recently I first heard Reckoning which I absolutely loved, jangly guitars, vocal harmonies, the pure fun and danceability of it, everything clicked. I returned to Murmur but again it left me unimpressed, sure it's a consitent record but the highs on Reckoing are so much better (Harborcoat being one of my fave R.E.M. tunes now) and I enjoy it much more. So it's not that I don't like IRS years, it's just that I don't get Murmur and don't consider it to be that good.

I think my initial rating for Murmur was something crazy low for me, like a 3/10. I've always found it a dull record. I've heard it through three or four times and still don't really care for it. Doesn't help that I'm not too big on REM as a whole, but that's definitely stuck out as one of the few records I really don't get. Lands alongside Rock Bottom, Physical Graffiti, and Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. I'm happy people like the albums, but there's this wall preventing me to click with them.

Just saying I don't think you're crazy.

Last edited by Hayden on 01/05/2020 03:45; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/04/2020 22:39
  • Post subject:
As an R.E.M. fan, and familiar with their entire discography, I don't find Murmur their best like them Pitchfork types do. But I will say after a few listens it became my favorite IRS years release. It was a bit of a grower for side B, but Side A I did like out of the gate. Previously it was Fables of the Reconstruction.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 01/05/2020 11:33
  • Post subject:
It's not that I don't like it, I find it a damn fine release, just not quite as good as it's reputation suggests. And I think my biggest problem with it is the lack of stand-out songs. There are no bad songs, but no killer song either. Harborcoat, So Central Rain and Don't Go Back to Rockville are easily better than any song on Murmur.

Another R.E.M. related note, when I first listened to Document, many reviews on internet said something along the lines of it being the start of their decline and their weakest album up to that point, yet I absolutely loved it on the first listen. Damn, even Finest Worksong is miles ahead of anything on Murmur Very Happy

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2020 22:41
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
Damn, even Finest Worksong is miles ahead of anything on Murmur Very Happy

Without thinking, I might just have to agree with this.
  • Visit poster's website