Dubstep

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Captain_Dude

United States

• Posted: 08/19/2011 18:08
  • Post subject:
Nope. Not a generation-thing. And I embraced the music of my father...no generation-gap at all. I also like plenty of recent stuff.

Seriously, guys. It's not quality stuff. But, then again, it's just my opinion and I feel that I should be able to voice it.

Stop being childish on here. I have always remained quite professional in my posts. Never post anything you'd not want your grandmother to see.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 08/19/2011 18:21
  • Post subject:
Captain_Dude wrote:
Nope. Not a generation-thing. And I embraced the music of my father...no generation-gap at all. I also like plenty of recent stuff.

Seriously, guys. It's not quality stuff. But, then again, it's just my opinion and I feel that I should be able to voice it.

Stop being childish on here. I have always remained quite professional in my posts. Never post anything you'd not want your grandmother to see.

But weren't you also the guy who said you couldn't see the "music of today" as being as highly regarded in the future as the older classics?

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 08/19/2011 18:29
  • Post subject:
Captain_Dude wrote:
Never post anything you'd not want your grandmother to see.

I don't see how that's relevant here? did anyone say anything crass?
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/19/2011 19:20
  • Post subject:
I wouldn't say it's a generational thing. I absolutely hate it.
  • Visit poster's website
Captain_Dude

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2011 01:27
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:

It just seems to be an on-going thing. I came to this site because I wanted to discuss music and get some good suggestions. I didn't come here to constantly see swearing, put-downs, and childishness.

Yes, indeed, I do stand by my statement that there isn't nearly as much quality music out there these days. I keep actively looking for it...I just don't find a lot of it. I TRULY do not see a lot of what's currently being released being listened much at all in twenty years. I love a lot of music that came wayyy before I did on the earth. As I said before, I embraced the music of both my father's generation...and even my grandfather's...putting my love of what's been recorded back to the very beginning of recorded music (and I love classical music, as well.) But, in recent years...I simply cannot embrace a lot of what I hear.

Again, the whole reason why I joined this site was to get introduced to stuff I may have been missing.

But, I'll not say another word because I'm sure someone will just swear at me for discussing it. I'm getting fed up with all of the put-downs and arguments I see.
Wombi

• Posted: 08/20/2011 03:42
  • Post subject:
Go Fuck Yourself Captain_Dude. I'm Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddddddddddiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnng of course. But really you must not know my grandmother cause that honkey Grandma be trippin'.

Captain Dude wrote:
I love a lot of music that came wayyy before I did on the earth. As I said before, I embraced the music of both my father's generation...and even my grandfather's...putting my love of what's been recorded back to the very beginning of recorded music (and I love classical music, as well.)

So do I (although Your Grandfather's generation? No offence but what music was that?) and I imagine your above statement applies to most of the BEA regulars. I still don't get what the point of writing that statement was but it was eloquently written.
Postmodern_Beatnik

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2011 04:12
  • Post subject:
Captain_Dude wrote:
Jhereko wrote:

It just seems to be an on-going thing. I came to this site because I wanted to discuss music and get some good suggestions. I didn't come here to constantly see swearing, put-downs, and childishness.

Yes, indeed, I do stand by my statement that there isn't nearly as much quality music out there these days. I keep actively looking for it...I just don't find a lot of it. I TRULY do not see a lot of what's currently being released being listened much at all in twenty years. I love a lot of music that came wayyy before I did on the earth. As I said before, I embraced the music of both my father's generation...and even my grandfather's...putting my love of what's been recorded back to the very beginning of recorded music (and I love classical music, as well.) But, in recent years...I simply cannot embrace a lot of what I hear.

Again, the whole reason why I joined this site was to get introduced to stuff I may have been missing.

But, I'll not say another word because I'm sure someone will just swear at me for discussing it. I'm getting fed up with all of the put-downs and arguments I see.

d'oh! Captain Dude! How could we have been so foolish as to joke with you. It won't happen again, honest to god! You are obviously well-rounded in your musical tastes and therefore deserve the up most respect!

Wink
  • Visit poster's website
jbarajas

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2011 05:51
  • Post subject:
for me, dubstep will never replace Random Album Title by Deadmau5. just love that album,... Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Captain_Dude

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2011 05:53
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Go Fuck Yourself Captain_Dude. I'm Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddddddddddiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnng of course. But really you must not know my grandmother cause that honkey Grandma be trippin'.
Captain Dude wrote:
I love a lot of music that came wayyy before I did on the earth. As I said before, I embraced the music of both my father's generation...and even my grandfather's...putting my love of what's been recorded back to the very beginning of recorded music (and I love classical music, as well.)

So do I (although Your Grandfather's generation? No offence but what music was that?) and I imagine your above statement applies to most of the BEA regulars. I still don't get what the point of writing that statement was but it was eloquently written.

Okay, first. Don't use that language with me. You know what I'm talking about. I'm not your beer guzzling buddy. I came here to talk music. If you wish to talk music with me, I'm all ears. If you wish to use language that your grandmother wouldn't want to hear you use, I'll turn a deaf ear.

Anyway, now that I've said that, my "grandfather's generation" was that of the big band era and of some very early blues and country music. I have quite a few of his old 78 rpm records. He absolutely adored music of all types. He's been gone awhile now, but my fondest memories of him were linked to listening to music with him or listening to him sing and play music. He loved blues, he loved country, he loved rock. He was never "set in his ways" and he was always open to experiencing new music of all types. I adored the man very much and I always admired the way he valued the emotion and the power of good music. He was always ready to listen to the latest rock records just as much as he was willing to pull out an old Tex Ritter record to play along with.

I used to share a lot of music that I had "discovered" with him. Sometimes he'd nod and tell me that it was good...or great. Sometimes, he'd look at me and just shake his head and say, "He'll not be around very long." However, ALWAYS gave it a chance...and he was almost always right about the longevity of a musician's career. It didn't matter what the music was...he just knew when it was quality stuff.

So, when people talk about music being a "generation-thing"...that's when I say that it is THEY that just don't get it.

That's like saying that I can't watch, enjoy, and appreciate "Metropolis," "Citizen Kane," "Clockwork Orange," and "Avatar" equally. Different eras...different technology...different styles...but all are stories that are told quite well. I can appreciate them all and I've watched each many times. I'm also intelligent enough to know to turn "Soul Plane" off after the first two minutes.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/20/2011 06:08
  • Post subject:
guys, I wish people could be more civil without resorting to insults. It is perfectly possible, you know. And I'm sick of seeing some people feeling like they are being pushed out of here just because they have different taste. The site would be a much better place with everyone getting along.

For Captain_Dude, if he hasn't seen, please read this thread. Something is being done about this.

And to everyone else, please just chill out.

EDIT: this topic has been split - other thread here.

Last edited by albummaster on 08/21/2011 07:38; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website