Swearing and name-calling

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Wombi

• Posted: 08/20/2011 06:18
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
guys, I wish people could be more civil without resorting to insults. It is perfectly possible, you know. And I'm sick of seeing some people feeling like they are being pushed out of here just because they have different taste. The site would be a much better place with everyone getting along.

For Captain_Dude, if he hasn't seen, please read this thread. Something is being done about this.

And to everyone else, please just chill out.

Are you referring to me? The "Go fuck yourself" thing was clearly a joke, I even disclaimed it.

Also is this still current?:

http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...mp;start=0
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/20/2011 08:52
  • Post subject:
yes, it is.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 08/20/2011 09:15
  • Post subject:
Captain_Dude wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
Go Fuck Yourself Captain_Dude. I'm Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddddddddddiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnng of course. But really you must not know my grandmother cause that honkey Grandma be trippin'.
Captain Dude wrote:
I love a lot of music that came wayyy before I did on the earth. As I said before, I embraced the music of both my father's generation...and even my grandfather's...putting my love of what's been recorded back to the very beginning of recorded music (and I love classical music, as well.)

So do I (although Your Grandfather's generation? No offence but what music was that?) and I imagine your above statement applies to most of the BEA regulars. I still don't get what the point of writing that statement was but it was eloquently written.

Okay, first. Don't use that language with me. You know what I'm talking about. I'm not your beer guzzling buddy. I came here to talk music. If you wish to talk music with me, I'm all ears. If you wish to use language that your grandmother wouldn't want to hear you use, I'll turn a deaf ear.

Anyway, now that I've said that, my "grandfather's generation" was that of the big band era and of some very early blues and country music. I have quite a few of his old 78 rpm records. He absolutely adored music of all types. He's been gone awhile now, but my fondest memories of him were linked to listening to music with him or listening to him sing and play music. He loved blues, he loved country, he loved rock. He was never "set in his ways" and he was always open to experiencing new music of all types. I adored the man very much and I always admired the way he valued the emotion and the power of good music. He was always ready to listen to the latest rock records just as much as he was willing to pull out an old Tex Ritter record to play along with.

I used to share a lot of music that I had "discovered" with him. Sometimes he'd nod and tell me that it was good...or great. Sometimes, he'd look at me and just shake his head and say, "He'll not be around very long." However, ALWAYS gave it a chance...and he was almost always right about the longevity of a musician's career. It didn't matter what the music was...he just knew when it was quality stuff.

So, when people talk about music being a "generation-thing"...that's when I say that it is THEY that just don't get it.

That's like saying that I can't watch, enjoy, and appreciate "Metropolis," "Citizen Kane," "Clockwork Orange," and "Avatar" equally. Different eras...different technology...different styles...but all are stories that are told quite well. I can appreciate them all and I've watched each many times. I'm also intelligent enough to know to turn "Soul Plane" off after the first two minutes.

I don't quite see the issue with a "fuck" or a "shit" here or there. You're bound to run into that on a forum.

But anyway, I don't think you can just write-off two decades of music. A large number of children have been born in these two decades who have been influenced by this music, thus this music will, as time goes by, only seek to find more esteem than it has already.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 08/20/2011 09:39
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:

I don't quite see the issue with a "fuck" or a "shit" here or there. You're bound to run into that on a forum.

But anyway, I don't think you can just write-off two decades of music. A large number of children have been born in these two decades who have been influenced by this music, thus this music will, as time goes by, only seek to find more esteem than it has already.

1) The issue I think some people would have is that swearing has become common and really, there were called swears, curse-words and cusses because they didn't happen all the time. Now it seems people cannot have a conversation anywhere (real or online) with dropping a "fuck" or "shit."

The reason this stood out for me is because at the school I work at, swearing is becoming a large issue. Before working in the public school system, I probably heard the C word (I hate using it so, yeah...) once in a blue moon. Now I hear it about 5 times before the start of normal lessons. This coming from 13-14 year olds.

Okay, that's that rant.

2) Captain Dude is allowed to his point of view and taste. If everyone had the same taste then this site would become dull. A comment that the Captain left on my chart got me arched up initially saying that I need to stop listening to stuff from my teens when in fact, music for me has only been a real passion for the last 5-6 years.

The reverse goes for this statement. I have hardly anything before 1975 because it doesn't connect with me. There are some albums that stand out but many just don't grab me.

We all cannot be versed in every era and like all we hear.

PS: Dubstep - not a fan.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 08/20/2011 15:00
  • Post subject:
OK, I really don't think Captain Dude was insulted here. He posted his opinion of a genre, several others posted theirs, he got butt hurt when no one agreed with him, someone called him pretentious in a funny way. If someone's feeling pushed out because of that, then let them be pushed out because they can't take a small, humorous jab.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/20/2011 15:31
  • Post subject:
No, I think he accepted the difference of opinion, but I don't think he appreciated the swearing from Jhereko (even if it was tongue in cheek). Look, I don't mind people swearing sometimes here, and I do it myself occasionally, but most of the time, the swearing doesn't add anything to the debate, which is supposed to be about music (dubstep in this case).
  • Visit poster's website
Captain_Dude

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2011 15:52
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:

I really believe that is the biggest problem. (Personally, I belong to quite a few forums where that isn't the case one bit).

In my school, it has also become a real issue. Unfortunately, there are no censors to constantly bleep it out like there is on TV.

I see and hear a certain word that begins with "N" a whole lot (especially in the context of talking about certain genres of music). Just because it's used so freely by others, doesn't mean that it's widely accepted. I really don't know of a place where I could freely say that one.

The biggest problem I'm seeing on this site isn't the words...it's how the words are being used. There's a huge difference between "F**k, that's a great album!" and "F**k you!" Neither are particularly needed...but, one is definitely a worse scenario because it's directed at someONE and not someTHING.

Let's just all keep the focus on the music and professional criticism.

Remember: criticism is the judgement of merits as well as the study, evaluation, and interpretation of the music. Criticism is NOT "finding fault" (although, some have definitely tried to imply that meaning).

As for my statement to "Harkan," my saying that it appeared that a few albums seemed to fall in your favor because they may have been favorites during your teen years was hardly meant to be taken that way. There's a lot of music I have a special place for in my heart just because of the times attached to it. I, personally, like Chigaco 17...not because it's a wonderful album...but, because of a certain girl I dated at the time. (It was one of those heart-breaking tales of the girl whose parents had to move) I simply just saw a lot from a certain, small window of time and, came to that conclusion. It was never intended to be taken any other way. I apologize for the lack of human inflection that text on a screen rarely gives.

Now, let's ALL move forward and keep our mutual passion for music as the focus. Criticize music and lists...don't put-down members or opinions. Debate...but, don't argue. There's a huge difference.
Wombi

• Posted: 08/20/2011 16:40
  • Post subject:
Captain_Dude wrote:
Jackwc wrote:

I really believe that is the biggest problem. (Personally, I belong to quite a few forums where that isn't the case one bit).

In my school, it has also become a real issue. Unfortunately, there are no censors to constantly bleep it out like there is on TV.

I see and hear a certain word that begins with "N" a whole lot (especially in the context of talking about certain genres of music). Just because it's used so freely by others, doesn't mean that it's widely accepted. I really don't know of a place where I could freely say that one.

The biggest problem I'm seeing on this site isn't the words...it's how the words are being used. There's a huge difference between "F**k, that's a great album!" and "F**k you!" Neither are particularly needed...but, one is definitely a worse scenario because it's directed at someONE and not someTHING.

Let's just all keep the focus on the music and professional criticism.

Remember: criticism is the judgement of merits as well as the study, evaluation, and interpretation of the music. Criticism is NOT "finding fault" (although, some have definitely tried to imply that meaning).

Now, let's ALL move forward and keep our mutual passion for music as the focus. Criticize music and lists...don't put-down members or opinions. Debate...but, don't argue. There's a huge difference.

So do we work and police the site in a way that makes it an enjoyable atmosphere for one person (You, Captain Dude) or in a way that makes it enjoyable for other people with different values? It's a difficult question, I know.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 08/20/2011 16:51
  • Post subject:
Yeah, to be honest, I think the forums are pretty good right now. That sentence could benefit from the addition of a curse word, too, watch: "I think these forums are pretty fucking good right now". Notice the difference that a word like fuck brings to the mix? It creates emphasis and passion where it is needed; it's a beautiful, beautiful word.

And I haven't seen many instances of people on this forum saying "fuck you" to one another without it being entirely tongue-in-cheek.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/20/2011 17:25
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
So do we work and police the site in a way that makes it an enjoyable atmosphere for one person (You, Captain Dude) or in a way that makes it enjoyable for other people with different values? It's a difficult question, I know.

It's not a difficult question at all when you consider the bigger picture. I'm wondering how many other people might be put off from posting here when they read some of this stuff. This is not just about Captain_Dude, and it isn't just about this thread either, because it's happening a lot lately.

To have the broadest debate, the site needs a wide variety of people from different backgrounds and age-groups. People need to feel they can contribute freely in an open environment for that debate to happen.

To put it another way around, would people be put off from contributing if they *didn't* see loads of swearing and cussing? Why would someone want to contribute to a thread when all they see is tittle-tattle and hardly any debate the music? A lot of threads lately have just degenerated into noise, when they started out as interesting topics.
  • Visit poster's website