Does age affect your perception of music fans?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Words

• Posted: 08/11/2017 09:24
  • Post subject: Does age affect your perception of music fans?
I know it's a silly question, but from my experience it's been mixed. It's both "Wow your ___ and you know that band?" And "Well that says a lot. Knowing how old you are."

I love music but I don't go looking for music because of blah blah blah. I look for music because I'm looking for something to relate to (most of the time, I love music for music too) in this world...and there isn't much so I end up finding records I like 6-10 times A month but I'm actually finding tons of records a month. Not to say I only like 6-10 records that I've listen to...you get the point.

To be honest my mind is just full of thoughts and I need to get some out. Rolling Eyes
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/11/2017 10:01
  • Post subject:
I don’t think it does. I think I question experience, wisdom, knowledge, and understanding over something as simple as age. I suppose sites like BEA is part of the reason why I don’t really seem affected by the age of a particular user or not – there are many users on this site and others who are younger than me and have a background or comprehension of genre material that I still don’t grasp. This is also true in the inverse of knowing people older who don’t really know what they are talking about; but that is most often to do with other factors than something as arbitrary as a numerical estimate of one’s age.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2017 10:44
  • Post subject:
Definitely. Im in my 40s now, and I've noticed something that I never would have guessed. When younger people talk to me about the music of the past, I notice that they view it through the same lens that they view today's music. and it just doesn't fit. This is really hard to explain and I'm not I sure I can, but I think it has something to do with context. Allmost like you had to have been there when this older music was released to have an accurate view of it. I noticed that people younger than me talk about it in a completely different way than the people I know who are my age or older. They tend to focus on the personalities and styles of the people and the music. Today's pop music culture is so driven by image and personality that music made today is very different than the music of the past. The priorities of today are nothing like the priorities of the past. And really can't be viewed through the same lens.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/11/2017 13:35
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I don’t think it does. I think I question experience, wisdom, knowledge, and understanding over something as simple as age. I suppose sites like BEA is part of the reason why I don’t really seem affected by the age of a particular user or not – there are many users on this site and others who are younger than me and have a background or comprehension of genre material that I still don’t grasp. This is also true in the inverse of knowing people older who don’t really know what they are talking about; but that is most often to do with other factors than something as arbitrary as a numerical estimate of one’s age.

Good point. But I would question whether experience and expertise is really needed to rate albums effectively. Maybe there are alternative standards, like honesty and thoughtfulness, that anyone can draw on to rate albums effectively, regardless of their level of expertise? d'oh!
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/11/2017 23:58
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Good point. But I would question whether experience and expertise is really needed to rate albums effectively. Maybe there are alternative standards, like honesty and thoughtfulness, that anyone can draw on to rate albums effectively, regardless of their level of expertise? d'oh!

For me, it goes to the whole theorem of “validity vs invalidity of opinions”, which I guess can seem a bit elitist or pretentious in retrospect but for my purview I don’t particularly see it that way. Bob actually made a point that context is important and a lot of people don’t recognize or try to understand the context or intent of a piece and kind of judge it by shallow merits. To me, that would be an invalid opinion or an opinion without much weight. I’ve seen it from both sides of the aisle (younger commentators and older commentators).

Do you need to have wisdom, understanding, etc. to rate an album based on how it resonates with you? No, absolutely not. But in a discussion about the music in question I would say it does.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/12/2017 00:14
  • Post subject:
Age affects your perception of everything, so, yes. I'd say it does.
  • Visit poster's website
Words

• Posted: 08/12/2017 00:52
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Definitely. Im in my 40s now, and I've noticed something that I never would have guessed. When younger people talk to me about the music of the past, I notice that they view it through the same lens that they view today's music. and it just doesn't fit. This is really hard to explain and I'm not I sure I can, but I think it has something to do with context. Allmost like you had to have been there when this older music was released to have an accurate view of it. I noticed that people younger than me talk about it in a completely different way than the people I know who are my age or older. They tend to focus on the personalities and styles of the people and the music. Today's pop music culture is so driven by image and personality that music made today is very different than the music of the past. The priorities of today are nothing like the priorities of the past. And really can't be viewed through the same lens.

Very true. I mean, how do I reply to this? I guess for me when I listen to older music I like to think of the culture of yesteryear the best I can. That leaves me with family stories and CNN decade specials to work with. Some albums feel more like a time capsule like 'Innuendo' from Queen and the whole aids scare. Today's culture really bums me out because the things we are glorifying are just in the moment and that really doesn't last. Who knows, maybe it will get better. My generation hasn't grown up yet haha..........but I would still recommend a bomb shelter though. What were we talking about again?
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/12/2017 08:54
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
For me, it goes to the whole theorem of “validity vs invalidity of opinions”, which I guess can seem a bit elitist or pretentious in retrospect but for my purview I don’t particularly see it that way. Bob actually made a point that context is important and a lot of people don’t recognize or try to understand the context or intent of a piece and kind of judge it by shallow merits. To me, that would be an invalid opinion or an opinion without much weight. I’ve seen it from both sides of the aisle (younger commentators and older commentators).

Do you need to have wisdom, understanding, etc. to rate an album based on how it resonates with you? No, absolutely not. But in a discussion about the music in question I would say it does.

Yeah, I agree with your point. I definitely value reviews and charts when I think the user has tried to engage "more fully" with the listening experience, which in some cases I guess would mean trying to appreciate the context and intentions of the album more thoughtfully. I kind of feel that really great albums shouldn't require too much homework, but at least a little bit of patience and open-mindedness on the part of the listener is probably needed. And like you said before, being older does not necessarily mean a more open-minded, patient or thoughtful approach. However, I also get the point youth-orientated pop culture often cultivates loud, fast and polarising opinions that don't particularly contribute to an interesting discussion.[/i]
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/12/2017 09:14
  • Post subject:
Words wrote:
Very true. I mean, how do I reply to this? I guess for me when I listen to older music I like to think of the culture of yesteryear the best I can. That leaves me with family stories and CNN decade specials to work with. Some albums feel more like a time capsule like 'Innuendo' from Queen and the whole aids scare. Today's culture really bums me out because the things we are glorifying are just in the moment and that really doesn't last. Who knows, maybe it will get better. My generation hasn't grown up yet haha..........but I would still recommend a bomb shelter though. What were we talking about again?

Yeah, I think I found a similar thing when I was younger. Everyone kind of making snap judgements and a culture of building things up and knocking them down quickly. Could get pretty annoying sometimes Not talking
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2017 14:21
  • Post subject:
I felt like an old curmudgeon at the Green Day concert last night, because most of their audience is teen age girls.
I was working security; not attending the event.
  • Visit poster's website