What is up with Shoegaze right now?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Words

• Posted: 08/15/2017 07:34
  • Post subject: What is up with Shoegaze right now?
A lot of Shoegaze bands are coming back it seems. MBV in 2013, Swervedriver in 2015 and Slowdive and Ride this year! I wonder what's up. I'm not complaining though! These albums are great....at least the ones I've listened to. MBV and...well Slowdive were great albums and I'm listening to 'Weather Diaries' right now. Good stuff! Haven't listened to Swervedriver's album yet. Who else has made a comeback? Maybe Lush and Asobi Seksu are next!....but the chance of that is MBV getting back together...oh wait.
Yann

France

• Posted: 08/16/2017 17:40
  • Post subject:
Any news from Chapterhouse and Pale Saints ?
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/16/2017 17:46
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Any news from Chapterhouse and Pale Saints ?

Chapterhouse were one of the first to reform, was a few years back, just gigs I think. I'd pay good money for the classic line up of pale saints to reform. No chance I fear. I've stayed clear of the ride record, based on what I've read.
  • Visit poster's website
LordMark

Canada

• Posted: 08/16/2017 18:31
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
I've stayed clear of the ride record, based on what I've read.

"Charm Assault" is still a great song. You should check it out.
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 08/16/2017 20:16
  • Post subject:
I could just be cynical and say the reason for this resurgence is "profitable nostalgia", but it's also probably because each band just really wants to make new music together. I've written about this before, so I'll just leave what I said here:

HazeyTwilight wrote:
I guess I shouldn't be surprised about this new shoegaze revival thing that's happening in this decade, since the genre is old enough to warrant fond and nostalgic memories amongst the people who originally followed them. And those youth who adopted that kind of pastel and hopelessly romantic lifestyle probably aren't like that anymore and now a newer generation of indie plebs bright young hopefuls are discovering these new sounds, so these couldn't come at a more perfect time. But, the main problem I have with this resurgence is that shoegaze, while some of it still sounds gorgeous today, is a product of its time and, apart from MBV who can still manage to make timeless music, a lot of these musicians aren't the teenagers they once were and, as a result, these newer songs sound kind of strained. They're not bad by any means, but it's nowhere near as memorable as their 90s output. But, at the same time, all of these reunions from these bands don't feel like cash grabs or insincere attempts to recapture what they had back then. It's like they're fully aware of their limitations and they've reached their peak long ago, but that's not what they prioritise right now. Let's break out of the mundane routines of our current day jobs and make some music again, just for old time's sake. And that warms my heart.

Also, Lush released an EP just last year, Blind Spot, if you're looking for that reunion.
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2017 20:41
  • Post subject:
My speculation has been that with streaming services like Spotify and music forums a la RYM and BEA, bands from the shoegaze era are finding a renewed interest in their music. I would assume Ride wasn't making a whole lot of money back in 2005, but with streaming services, they're seeing a cash flow once again.

They went from being relevant to living unsustainable careers in just a few years, and they are seeing an opportunity to sustain themselves on music once again.

I'm not an expert on any of this information, but these are my speculations and assumptions behind all of these reunions. It's not limited to shoegaze either.
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/16/2017 21:25
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
My speculation has been that with streaming services like Spotify and music forums a la RYM and BEA, bands from the shoegaze era are finding a renewed interest in their music. I would assume Ride wasn't making a whole lot of money back in 2005, but with streaming services, they're seeing a cash flow once again.

They went from being relevant to living unsustainable careers in just a few years, and they are seeing an opportunity to sustain themselves on music once again.

I'm not an expert on any of this information, but these are my speculations and assumptions behind all of these reunions. It's not limited to shoegaze either.

I bet Andy bell could lend his pals a tenner or two.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 08/17/2017 04:01
  • Post subject:
A track dropped from that MBV/Mazzy Star side-project literally yesterday.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Words

• Posted: 08/17/2017 04:08
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:
A track dropped from that MBV/Mazzy Star side-project literally yesterday.

Wait...what?
Words

• Posted: 08/17/2017 04:23
  • Post subject:
HazeyTwilight wrote:
I could just be cynical and say the reason for this resurgence is "profitable nostalgia", but it's also probably because each band just really wants to make new music together. I've written about this before, so I'll just leave what I said here:

Also, Lush released an EP just last year, Blind Spot, if you're looking for that reunion.

(I can't seem to get the quote to show but you couldn't have said it better)
Wait...I was joking about Lush THIS REALLY HAPPENED?!