Listmeister Listens to Bands He Never Heard Of Before

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2017 21:22
  • Post subject: Listmeister Listens to Bands He Never Heard Of Before
Needing to expand my musical horizons, I'm going to start listening to albums by bands I've never heard of before. Hopefully for every Stars of the Lid I'll find a Stone Roses; a Mavericks for every Joanna Newsome. In other words, I know I'll hear some albums that I hate, but, purely by chance, I should also discover some new favorite bands.

My rules are, each new album will be selected by either Plan A, which is looking through a BEA Best Of [All Time | Decade | Year ] list, finding the highest BEA ranked album by a band I've never heard of, and listening to that album. Plan B, if I find one that I really like, I will go to the list written by the album's sponsor (the "Ranked Highest By" winner for that album), and go from that list. Plan C is random discoveries, which are also allowed.

"Never heard of" means, that (a) the name of the band or the album doesn't ring any bells with me, although I may or may not have encountered the name before, and (b), I've never listened to the album. My log of albums includes many that I listened to once, and then forgot about, and if that happened, this album is disqualified.

We'll see how good I am at documenting my first impressions.

Also, please don't judge me for not having heard of whatever band; that's sort of why I'm doing this exercise.

Last edited by Listmeister on 11/07/2017 19:47; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2017 22:05
  • Post subject:
1. Broken Social Scene
From the Overall Chart, #273

You Forgot It In People by Broken Social Scene

BEA Ranks: 7th of 2002; 51st of 2000s; 273rd of All Time
Ranked highest by briggs54, Best Of All Time (out of 100), and jtl, Best of All Time (out of 40)

First impression: Broken Social Scene relies on their drums and guitars to drive the energy without having a whole lot of finesse in drumming or guitar playing. Meanwhile, the vocals sound (to me) like standard 90's alternative vocals, that is, unwilling to show much passion other than angst.

On the other hand, if I wandered into a bar where they were playing, I'd stick around and listen awhile. By the time I got to "Looks Just Like The Sun" (track 5) I started to get into it. The next track, "Pacific Theme" demonstrates that their instrumental skill is not just guitars and drums. "Anthems for a Seventeen-Year Old Girl", those vocals are sort of different. I'm starting to like this band.

I've listened to a few songs. Now I can look up who the heck they are. At 273rd on BEA's All Time list, it's the highest ranked album that qualifies. Let's see. Canadian indie rock collective, associated with a whole bunch of acts that I've never heard of either. You Forgot It In People was their second album.

There's a lot going on in this album, musically, and some of the songs I quite like. I still think it's too heavy on the drums and rhythm guitars.

briggs54 ranked it as the Best Of All Time, and on his Top 100 page, he gives a fairly eloquent explanation of why. He ends it with a quote from a Pitchfork review, which I find myself wholeheartedly agreeing with:

Quote:
I hate to end this saying, 'You just have to hear it for yourself.' But oh my god, you do. You just really, really do.

Listmeister Ranks: 11th of 2002, out of 15 that I've liked enough to rank.

Last edited by Listmeister on 08/22/2017 23:52; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/18/2017 01:06
  • Post subject:
Listmeister wrote:
1. Broken Social Scene

You Forgot It In People by Broken Social Scene

BEA Ranks: 7th of 2002; 51st of 2000s; 273rd of All Time
Ranked highest by briggs54, Best Of All Time (out of 100), and jtl, Best of All Time (out of 40)

First impression: Broken Social Scene relies on their drums and guitars to drive the energy without having a whole lot of finesse in drumming or guitar playing. Meanwhile, the vocals sound (to me) like standard 90's alternative vocals, that is, unwilling to show much passion other than angst.

On the other hand, if I wandered into a bar where they were playing, I'd stick around and listen awhile. By the time I got to "Looks Just Like The Sun" (track 5) I started to get into it. The next track, "Pacific Theme" demonstrates that their instrumental skill is not just guitars and drums. "Anthems for a Seventeen-Year Old Girl", those vocals are sort of different. I'm starting to like this band.

I've listened to a few songs. Now I can look up who the heck they are. At 273rd on BEA's All Time list, it's the highest ranked album that qualifies. Let's see. Canadian indie rock collective, associated with a whole bunch of acts that I've never heard of either. You Forgot It In People was their second album.

There's a lot going on in this album, musically, and some of the songs I quite like. I still think it's too heavy on the drums and rhythm guitars.

briggs54 ranked it as the Best Of All Time, and on his Top 100 page, he gives a fairly eloquent explanation of why. He ends it with a quote from a Pitchfork review, which I find myself wholeheartedly agreeing with:

Quote:
I hate to end this saying, 'You just have to hear it for yourself.' But oh my god, you do. You just really, really do.

Fun little project, Listmeister & a great idea for a diary. Loved your write up. This was one of my favorite albums of that year. It def essential indie rock. So glad u dug it!

Last edited by Repo on 08/23/2017 18:48; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 08/23/2017 17:23
  • Post subject:
2. Albert Ayler
From briggs54's Top 100

Spiritual Unity by Albert Ayler

BEA Ranks: 10th of 1965; 104th of 1960s; 1049th of All Time
Ranked highest by InsertExpletive, 3rd of All Time

This album is, apparently, highly acclaimed by jazz enthusiasts as a monument to free jazz. So, good job to Albert Ayler (Jazz saophone), Gary Peacock (Bass), and Sunny Murray (Drums), for that achievement. Notice that I am leading off by saying nice things about the album. Unfortunately, I didn't like it much.

I'm sorry. I just don't have an ear for this. To me it sounded like a guy trying to play as many random notes as he could in as short a time as possible. There were a few bits that enjoyed, though. There were parts in the two variations of Ghosts where Ayler was playing an actual melody, as opposed to random notes. For instance at the beginning of Second Variations, he plays a recognizable tune, so that was nice. Then he quickly switches back to to random notes.

There is something here though, in the random notes. I can see what makes it so important and influential, even if it isn't really to my tastes.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 08/23/2017 23:43
  • Post subject:
3. Deerhunter
from BEA Best of 2010s

Halcyon Digest by Deerhunter

BEA ranks: 7th of 2010; 24th of 2010s; 333rd of All Time
Ranked highest by dfulfo01, Best of All Time (out of 100); ricsi, Best of All Time (out of 16)

Fuzzy.

One word to describe this album. Fuzzy. The vocals have a lot of fuzz on them, a lot of reverb, and so do the instruments. Only the drums are crisp. This is not a criticism, mind you, I'm just describing the sound.

The lyrics (when they can be understood) and melody come across like someone whispering in your ear. I liked it enough to listen to it a second time immediately after I heard it the first time. There's something about that fuzzy sound, like if you listen close, it might reveal secrets.

I don't know what else to say about it. I only needed that one word.

Listmeister ranks:
19th of 2010, out of 21 that I've liked enough to rank.
90th of 2010s
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2017 15:11
  • Post subject:
4. The Microphones
From BEA's Best of 2000s

The Glow Pt. 2 by The Microphones

BEA ranks: 8th of 2001; 56th of 2000s; 291st of All Time
Ranked highest by Weepingguitarman and BantsPandit, Best Of All Time

It starts out just a guy with a guitar. Several of the tracks are like that: A guy singing, with his guitar. Nothing particularly noteworthy. But there are other tracks where they throw in other... effects, I guess you'd call them. Instruments. Weird noises. Silences. The final track, "My Warm Blood", you get the impression that they just left the microphones on in the studio and went home.

I heard the album once, and my musical sensibilities went, "What?", and then I had to hear it again. You get lulled into a guy-with-a-guitar vibe that is not unpleasant (just unremarkable, by itself), and then you get knocked over by -- something else. That's different. I'm going to have to listen again at some point.

Listmeister ranks: 9th of 2001, out of 14
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2017 20:47
  • Post subject:
5. Built To Spill
From BEA's Best of 1990s

Perfect From Now On by Built To Spill

BEA Ranks: 9th of 1997; 61st of 1990s; 321st of All Time

Ranked highest by kconnelly, Nassim and btspill, BEST OF ALL TIME

To me this album sounds like an evolution from the Stone Roses, put through a filter of Alternative and Grunge. The harmonies are not as good as the Stone Roses, but the guitar work is very intricate and wonderful to listen to. A couple of the tracks, "I Wouldn't Hurt a Fly" and "Velvet Waltz" and "Untrustable" achieve greatness on the strength of the bands virtuosity.

Listmeister Ranks: 11th of 1997, out of 19. 76th of 1990s.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2017 21:41
  • Post subject:
Listmeister wrote:
4. The Microphones
From BEA's Best of 2000s

The Glow Pt. 2 by The Microphones

BEA ranks: 8th of 2001; 56th of 2000s; 291st of All Time
Ranked highest by Weepingguitarman and BantsPandit, Best Of All Time

It starts out just a guy with a guitar. Several of the tracks are like that: A guy singing, with his guitar. Nothing particularly noteworthy. But there are other tracks where they throw in other... effects, I guess you'd call them. Instruments. Weird noises. Silences. The final track, "My Warm Blood", you get the impression that they just left the microphones on in the studio and went home.

I heard the album once, and my musical sensibilities went, "What?", and then I had to hear it again. You get lulled into a guy-with-a-guitar vibe that is not unpleasant (just unremarkable, by itself), and then you get knocked over by -- something else. That's different. I'm going to have to listen again at some point.

Listmeister ranks: 9th of 2001, out of 14

Nice post, Listmeister! I haven't quite figured this album out either! Although I know there's sth there & this really should be in my wheelhouse. I mean I love a lot of Mount Erie's stuff.

Anyways, love this project. Really great idea. I love your willingness to listen to stuff you probably will never like. What's your favorite discovery from this process so far?
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2017 04:15
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
What's your favorite discovery from this process so far?

Ask me again after I've done a dozen or so. I'm still figuring out the process of listening-with-intent-to-review. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2017 19:55
  • Post subject:
6. Jurassic 5
From kconnelly's Best of All Time

Quality Control by Jurassic 5

BEA Ranks: 46th of 2000; 450th of 2000s; 2060th of All Time
Ranked highest by thisispreston, 8th of All Time out of 40.

This is old-school rap. They sound like the rap of the late 80s, before NWA, before Tupac, Dre, and Eminem. You got your record scratches, you got the slower flow of the old style. And, oh yes, they brought the funk.

I don't know enough about the hip-hop genre to discuss it intelligently. But I know what I like, and I like this. I like the groove, I like the flow, I like the sampling, and I like the scratching.

Tilly, to answer your question, this is my favorite so far.

Mr. Green Mr. Green TILLY AWARD Mr. Green Mr. Green

Listmeister Ranks: 10th of 2000, out of 20; 84th of 2000s
[/b]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website