NFL 2017-2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2017 21:22
  • Post subject:
WTF Gronk. That was so uncool. Deserves that suspension. Kinda bummed he's appealing. He really should just take it his suspension & own up to it, but I'm guessing there's probably millions of dollars involved so what do I know.

Still. Pretty bummed since I've always been a fan of the goofball, but that was way over the line & totally dirty. I can understand his frustration. He does get called for more pass interference penalties sole due to his size & dominance but that was way uncalled for and total "bullshit."
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2017 19:46
  • Post subject:
What a bummer. Two of the best stories of the year - Deshaun Watson & Carson Wentz - ended by injuries. Add to that Aaron Rodgers injury & how critical the QB is for a team, I really think the NFL should rethink & up quarterback protection EVEN MORE. They're just too valuable.

My heart goes out to Eagles fans. This is a major bummer for a team that seemed to have one of the best chances for the Super Bowl. Confused
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2017 22:36
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
My heart goes out to Eagles fans. This is a major bummer for a team that seemed to have one of the best chances for the Super Bowl. Confused

I am an Eagles fan. Yes, Wentz's injury is very unfortunate but Philly still has a good chance of a Super Bowl. Here is why:

1. The Eagles currently rank 4th in total defense.

2. The Eagles currently rank 2nd in rushing yards per game.

These first two reasons show there has been more to the Philly's success than Carson Wentz. But there's more:

3. Wentz's backup, Nick Foles, is a good QB is his own right. He has experience. Foles was the Eagles starter in 2013 and had a great year. He played well in the 4th quarter yesterday against the Rams after Wentz went out. Philly was losing when Wentz left, and Foles actually led them back to victory.

4. The Eagles are on top of the NFC at 11-2, and do not have a difficult remaining schedule. Their remaining games are at NYG, then at home against OAK, then at home against DAL. Those are three games for Foles to get some playing time, get into form, and prepare for the playoffs. If Foles plays fine in those three games while the defense keeps it up, they could win all three and keep home field advantage.

However, if Foles plays like crap in these next three games, then I would worry about their Super Bowl chances. But for now, I remain optimistic.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2017 23:51
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I am an Eagles fan. Yes, Wentz's injury is very unfortunate but Philly still has a good chance of a Super Bowl. Here is why:

1. The Eagles currently rank 4th in total defense.

2. The Eagles currently rank 2nd in rushing yards per game.

These first two reasons show there has been more to the Philly's success than Carson Wentz. But there's more:

3. Wentz's backup, Nick Foles, is a good QB is his own right. He has experience. Foles was the Eagles starter in 2013 and had a great year. He played well in the 4th quarter yesterday against the Rams after Wentz went out. Philly was losing when Wentz left, and Foles actually led them back to victory.

4. The Eagles are on top of the NFC at 11-2, and do not have a difficult remaining schedule. Their remaining games are at NYG, then at home against OAK, then at home against DAL. Those are three games for Foles to get some playing time, get into form, and prepare for the playoffs. If Foles plays fine in those three games while the defense keeps it up, they could win all three and keep home field advantage.

However, if Foles plays like crap in these next three games, then I would worry about their Super Bowl chances. But for now, I remain optimistic.

Wow! That's awesome. All of this is great to hear.

Here's to hoping we catch you guys in the Super Bowl! Very Happy (and then kick your collective asses!) Razz
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2017 15:51
  • Post subject:
I love how all the pundits are saying Bellichick should have traded Brady instead of Garrapolo. There's no question that Bellichick wanted to keep Garrapolo. That he knew Garrapolo was going to be a stud.

But, everyone seems to be forgetting that Tom Brady is likely going to win the MVP this season, and playing some of the best ball of his career. Can you imagine - having one of the best seasons of your career. Leading your team to likely the Number fucking One seed in the AFC, and all these talking heads saying that you're done. Washed up. Should have been traded for the younger Jimmy G?

It's kinda crazy, but I get it.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 01/01/2018 17:53
  • Post subject:
Good job Buffalo. Playoffs. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/02/2018 23:43
  • Post subject:
And that's a wrap on the regular season. A few of my predictions from Page 1 were on point. Some were a little off. And a few were way off. But that's the NFL for you. Always gonna be a few surprises every year. Plus you never know who's gonna get injured, and how injuries will affect a team. Green Bay, for example, couldn't find a rhythm on offense after Rodgers went down. On the other hand, their division rival, the Vikings, shined with their backup QB, Case Keenum.

Anyway, now it's playoff time! Hope to see some exciting games.

Here are my predictions for this weekend:

TEN 10
KC 27

The Titans are an average team in the weaker conference. They're no match for The Chiefs, who are all-around better on paper, and have playoff experience.

BUF 3
JAX 23

It's nice to see The Bills in the playoffs again after 18 years. But one could argue they don't belong there. They actually rank in the Bottom 10 in offense and defense. The Jaguars rank in The Top 10 in both. Mismatch.

CAR 23
NO 27

They say it's hard to beat a team three times in one season. Yeah, no shit. The opportunity for such an occurrence is so rare. But I think we'll see it happen. The Saints are very good, and have never lost a home playoff game under Drew Brees.

ATL 30
LAR 27

This will be an exciting, back-and-forth game. But in the end, the defending NFC Champs will be the one wild card to advance. Nothing against Goff, Gurley, and McVay. They're all great, but history isn't usually kind to first-timers in the playoffs. Not to mention the Rams were only 4-4 in home games this year.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2018 19:55
  • Post subject:
well, the packers and the raiders, Carr and Rodgers, Jordy Nelson and Amari Cooper, K. Mack and C. Matthews, all my fave players and my fave teams had incredibly disappointing years. So, no Packers vs Raiders Superbowl to dream of. oh well.

The Packers are cleaning house, but they are keeping their coach. Not sure how I feel 'bout that.

The Raiders are finalizing a record 10 year, 100 million dollar deal to get Jon Gruden back as Coach and leader. I am pretty excited about this. It looks awefully similar to when the knicks got Phil a few years back. But...nah. He isnt 70 year old. Nor is he an 11 time champion who revolutionized football the way Phil did basketball. Still, I think Gruden and Carr could be a special team up. fingers crossed.

As for these playoffs, they are still relatively exciting. And, considering I have no favorite or a team I am a big fan of in the playoffs, I can just watch and predict and not get teribly disappointed. I just get to observe all the interesting little narratives go down. With that in mind, I will make my predictions. These predictions are mostly just how I'd like to see these playoffs go down.

Wild Card Round:

Kansas City over Tennesee, 31-17

this was tough. Cuz I like Mariota, Corey Davis, Derrick Henry and the Titans players more than the Chiefs. But whatever, I also like Hunt and Hill as players. So there.

Jacksonville over Buffalo, 24-3

That Jacksonville D is bonkers and they got lit up recently and they will absolutely stonewall the Bills and having them begging for dear life. Also Fournette is gonna rush for 200 yards and Bortles will have a couple interceptions. Will be fun. I love you, Shady, but I just don't like your chances.

Atlanta over St. Louis LA, 42-35

I know what you are thinking, this ginger just salty bout the Rams leaving. Maybe I am. But actually, full disclosure I am not. I just think the Falcons have all the pieces and they will come out ready to play thbis shootout. I am a fan of Gurley and Freeman, but Julio is one of the top 5 players to watch in the league. The man is a god come to life in human form. Go falcons.

New Orleans over Carolina, 27-14

New Orleans may have the most complete team in the playoffs, a stud old man of a QB, the best RB tandem I've seen in a looong time, stud pass catchers, and a solid defense. Okay, maybe Minnesota and the Rams have similarly balanced teams. But my money is New Orleans here. The Panthers ain't all that. Go Saints. - Also all 3 stud Rookie RBs (Hunt, NO's Kamara, and Fournette) are gonna show up and put the league on notice about the next batch of great RBs. Next year Barkley will join those 3, Zeke, and Gurley, and it will be glorious. Extra prediction: 10 Running backs are gonna go over 2000 next year.

Just kidding.

okay, next round...

Divisional Round:

this is the best weekend of NFL football and the one I consistently look forward to the most.

New England over Kansas City, 27-24

This will be fun. New England will pull it out. Not much else to say here.

Jacksonville over Pittsburgh, 28-17

Remember what I said about this being by and large what I want to happen. But I also think this may happen. Yes, I hate the Steelers (outside of AB, who is a god, and I love watching Bell too). So here's to the Jaguars defesne going full 2000 Ravens and just strangling these fools just like week 5 (i think it was week 5) when the Jags destroyed the Steelers.

Atlanta over Philadelphia, 35-14

Yeah, Foles is gonna Fole, and the surprise powerhouse which was the Eagles will go the way of the Raiders last year without Carr and will crumble. Falcons gonna wreck those guys.

New Orleans over Minnesota, 21-20

This will be another great one. And I like the Vikings and this hurts me insides. But yeah, Saints will come marchin' in and lay this beast of the Vikings out.

Championship Weekend!

Jacksonville over New England, 31-21

Sorry, tilly, this is happening. It is known. The Jags improbably will come out and catch the Patriots off guard with just the most brutal assault of this century, Brady gonna get rocked. Then the Jags offense will run all over the Pats. Its gonna be bitter sweet. Mostly sweet cuz man these Jaguars are just cool a.f.!

New Orleans over Falcons, 24-17 (OT)

Boy, what a classic this will be. But yes Brees will throw a simple screen pass to Kamara in OT and he will etch his name into the hall of legends with a 75 yard run after catch for a TD. The crowd will go BONKERS! It's awesome.

SUPERBOWL!!!

okay, here it is, the big game. I will be torn, as I want Brees tro get his second superbowl, I love Kamara, I like the team well enough... but the Jaguars will be more to my liking, an underdog, out of nowhere team, witrh a studly defense and a studly rookie RB. I'm gonna be hyped. I decide ahead of time that i will buy a Fournette jersey if Jags win, and I will buy a Kamara jersey if New Orleans wins. Then the game will start...

Jacksonville over New Orleans, 24-7

... and the Jags defense shreds 'em. That makes 3 superbowl winning, hall of fame QBs they made life hell for in one post season! Brees will go the way of Big Ben and Brady, he'll be on the ground all night. Fournette will play fine, but not MVP. MVP will be Calais Campbell with 3 sacks and forced fumble. It will be both glorious and disappointing. I order my Fournette jersey and never look back.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2018 08:36
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

Jacksonville over New England, 31-21

Sorry, tilly, this is happening. It is known. The Jags improbably will come out and catch the Patriots off guard with just the most brutal assault of this century, Brady gonna get rocked. Then the Jags offense will run all over the Pats. Its gonna be bitter sweet. Mostly sweet cuz man these Jaguars are just cool a.f.!

• Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2018 21:47
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
TEN 10
KC 27

BUF 3
JAX 23

CAR 23
NO 27

ATL 30
LAR 27

Mercury wrote:
Kansas City over Tennesee, 31-17

Jacksonville over Buffalo, 24-3

Atlanta over St. Louis LA, 42-35

New Orleans over Carolina, 27-14

What actually happened:

TEN 22, KC 21
JAX 10, BUF 3
ATL 26, LAR 13
NO 31, CAR 26

Same predictions, eh? Both went 3 for 4. What happened in the game we got wrong? I left for work at halftime and it was 21-3. I heard it was a combination of awful officiating and KC imploding. I also heard the referee of that game retired because he and his crew did such a bad job:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ll-retire/

I saw a good chunk of the Jaguars-Bills and Saints-Panthers games. The former was sloppy. The latter was perhaps the only entertaining game of the weekend, but I don't know cause I missed Falcons-Rams. Hopefully this weekend will be better.

So Mercury, you made all your predictions beforehand. Would you like to revise one based on the game we got wrong? Haha. In the MLB thread, I made all predictions beforehand and both my World Series picks lost in the first round. So now I prefer predicting one round at a time.

With that said, my Divisional Round predictions:

TEN 10
NE 38

This is the only game this weekend I'm 100% confident who will win. The Titans simply aren't very good. They were lucky to get in the playoffs. They pulled a huge upset Saturday just to be in this game. It would be the NFL upset of the year decade if they pulled off this one.

JAX 13
PIT 17

It's gonna be frigid and low-scoring in Pittsburgh on Sunday. This will be great game with two of the most balanced teams in the NFL (both teams rank in the Top 6 in offense and defense). I'm going with the Steelers because they're usually good for at least one win every postseason. But I wouldn't surprised if the Jags won.

ATL 17
PHI 20

The Eagles have the edge due to a better rushing attack in Ajayi and Blount, and an overall better defense.

NO 23
MIN 27

This should be a great game down to the wire. The Saints average defense gives the advantage to the Vikings.

So here is where my predictions majorly differ from Mercury's. Four teams went 13-3. Mercury predicts three of them will lose while I have them all winning. For me, it's hard to predict against them. They're all at home, and none have major weaknesses. I can see PIT, PHI, and MIN losing, but I think all three losing is a stretch. We shall see.

Tilly, who do you think will win?
  • Visit poster's website